(12-17-2004) Bono, Luciano, Maria. - U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono, Luciano, Maria.

The single release of 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own' will feature a Bono/Pavarotti performance on the B-side.

The second single from 'How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb' - outside North America - 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own' will be available on 2 CD formats and a DVD single.

B-sides include a stunning Jacknife Lee remix of 'Ave Maria' sung by Bono with Luciano Pavarotti - the original of which was performed at the 'Pavarotti & Friends' concert in Italy in 2003 - the dancefloor-filling 'Vertigo' Redanka remix', and the Jacknife Lee remix of UK and Japan only album track 'Fast Cars'.

The DVD carries a video of an exclusive live performance of 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own' from the band's Dublin studio, and a Trent Reznor reworking of 'Vertigo'.

Formats are as follows:

CD1

1. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - radio edit
2. Vertigo - Redanka Power Mix

CD2

1. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - radio edit
2. Ave Maria - Jacknife Lee Mix
3. Fast Cars - Jacknife Lee Mix

DVD single

1. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - live at Hanover Quay, 16 Nov 2004
2. Vertigo - video
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - audio
4. Vertigo - Trent Reznor Remix - audio

http://www.u2.com/news/index.php?mode=full&news_id=1270

DVD single

1. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - live at Hanover Quay, 16 Nov 2004
2. Vertigo - video
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - audio
4. Vertigo - Trent Reznor Remix - audio

I notice that track 2 is the Vertigo video. So I can finally get that one! :up:
Then again, the video for Sometimes... won't be the official promo video (but apparently another live in the studio performance, though different from the 2 performances on the HTDAAB DVD). And the Trent Reznor mix won't be on any audio CD... :|

A mixed bag (also because there aren't any new songs, just remixes).

C ya!

Marty

Why :madspit:?
I already have the album version, so it will be interesting in what way the song has changed for the radio.

:)

Hmmm...trent reznor remix sounds interesting! During PoP trent commented that he was amazed by the longevity of U2 and their ability for camellion like changes. I'm curious as to how it will sound.

do enyone thinks as me that the alternate sometimes is much better?it's unfinished but with some litle work would be a genial song and not just a great song as the oficial sometimes.
if you doubt that just listen booth songs one after other for a while...

Popmartijn said:
Why :madspit:?
I already have the album version, so it will be interesting in what way the song has changed for the radio.

:)

Because usually it sounds weird and rushed, it's not the way the song was intended to be, butchering a song always makes it weaker, most of the times it sounds odd and as if it was badly done and the people who don't have the album might get the wrong idea about it. If they played it like it is on the album on SNL, why don't they release it like that? I know it's a little longer than usual but what can you take out from that song?

joaoricardo said:
do enyone thinks as me that the alternate sometimes is much better?it's unfinished but with some litle work would be a genial song and not just a great song as the oficial sometimes.
if you doubt that just listen booth songs one after other for a while...

I agree, if they had worked on it a bit more and added the falsetto part it would have been perfect. I love the version we got from the album but that alternate version makes the song sound more powerful and almost like if it was a song from the 50's but done in 2004. Really cool!! :up:

jacknife remixed Ave Maria?
I'm a lil scared...

Dunno if you heard Bono singing that, he made me shake so much!
Hope the prayer won't be spoiled

i really hope the radio edit doesn't cut out the 2nd verse like i think it would. during mtv jammed, the entire second verse was taken out, and i like that verse better than the first one.

so i really hope they find some way to keep that in there.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
OH MY GOD! I need this B-side!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:heart: Ave Maria :heart:

If Bono and Luciano are singing it the song will be beautiful. Long as it is not a dance song.

I had the original, from Italy at one time, but it's lost now in a computer crash last year, so the chance to have it again!! :heart:
I can't even imagine how it could be better, but I'm getting it - just because I want it :up:
Of course I'm into any new U2 DVD's also.
I need to go water my money tree now! :wink:

I was going to say..the "Ave Maria" dance mix (Howie B! Yeah!!!) would have been, um, a first:)

Ave Maria... it's so full of poetry!
and lovely... and Bono wrote the lyrics for the song especilly for that night!

I'm also not a fan of Radio Edit's, maybe it will surprise me.:eyebrow:

I love Ave Maria, but remixed by Jacknife Lee? :ohmy: I can't wait to hear it.

Last edited:
details of sometimes... single from www[dot]theninhotline[dot]net.
(sorry if it was already posted but i did a google search and didnt find anything:

New details emerge on remix of U2 song, Vertigo.
Ryan M. sent in a recent Launch news item that has details on the upcoming U2 single, "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own." Quoted from Launch, The CD single of "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" will also include a remix of the hit "Vertigo" by Nine Inch Nails' Trent Reznor, and Jacknife Lee remixes of "Ave Maria" and "Fast Cars." A DVD version of the single will include a live performance of "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" from U2's studio in Dublin's Hanover Quay section, as well as footage of Reznor working on his remix.

somethings that we already know but the most interesting part is: footage of reznor working on his remix.
could someboday buy me this dvd-a? :)
there are no single releases in brazil even in cd, so dvd-a is even harder :(

Back
Top Bottom