(11-15-2004) Bono sees off young pretender to 'Band Aid' line - Ireland Online*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono sees off young pretender to 'Band Aid' line

Bono has won out in the rock rivalry over who should sing the most famous line of Do They Know It’s Christmas?, it was confirmed today.

Organisers of the Band Aid 20 single revealed that he would once again sing, “And tonight thank God it’s them instead of you”, as he did two decades ago.

The U2 front man flew in to Britain late last night to re-record the line after The Darkness singer Justin Hawkins claimed he had performed a superior version.

Bono sang the line on the original version in 1984 released to raise money for the famine in Ethiopia.

Meanwhile, Madonna has lent her support to the new Band Aid single by recording an introduction to the song's music video.

The star will tell fans to "feed the world" before the video gets its premiere on BBC One on Thursday.

David Bowie had the same role with the original in 1984.

Madonna was not among the stars who assembled to record 'Do They Know It's Christmas?' in London at the weekend but she did perform at Live Aid almost 20 years ago.

Here are the final confirmed vocal lines for the single:

Chris Martin:
It’s Christmastime, there’s no need to be afraid
At Christmastime, we let in light and we banish shade

Dido:
And in our world of plenty we can spread a smile of joy
Throw your arms around the world at Christmastime

Robbie Williams:
But say a prayer, Pray for the other ones
At Christmastime it’s hard, but when you’re having fun

Sugababes:
There’s a world outside your window
And it’s a world of dread and fear

Fran Healy:
Where the only water flowing

Fran Healy & Sugarbabes:
Is the bitter sting of tears

Fran Healy & Justin Hawkins:
And the Christmas bells that ring there are the clanging chimes of doom

Bono:
Well tonight thank God it’s them instead of you

Will Young & Jamelia:
And there won’t be snow in Africa this Christmastime
The greatest gift they’ll get this year is life

Ms Dynamite & Beverly Knight:
(Oooh) Where nothing ever grows
No rain nor rivers flow

Group of ten & Joss Stone:
Do they know it’s Christmastime at all?

Tom Chaplin (Keane):
Here’s to you

Justin Hawkins (Darkness):
Raise a glass for everyone

Dizzee Rascal:
Spare a thought this yuletide for the deprived
If the table was turned would you survive

Busted: Here’s to them

Justin Hawkins (Darkness):
Underneath that burning sun

Dizzee Rascal:
You ain’t gotta feel guilt just selfless
Give a little help to the helpless

Joss Stone & Justin Hawkins:
Do they know it’s Christmastime at all?

Tom Chaplin:
Feed the world
Tom Chaplin & Chris Martin:
Feed the world
Tom Chaplin & Chris Martin & Sugababes:
Feed the world
Tom Chaplin & Chris Martin & Sugababes:
Feed the world
Everyone (in the big studio)
Feed the world
Let them know it’s Christmastime again – repeated
Fran Healy:
Woooo
Group of 10:
Feed the world
Everyone (in the big studio)
Feed the world – repeated to end
Joss Stone – Ad Libs over outro

© Thomas Crosbie Media, 2004.

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/entertainment/story.asp?j=124256706&p=yz4z574yz

Bono shouldn't be bigger than the song itself.He didn't wrote that line.It doesn't belong to him.If Hawkins did a better vocal performance than him,so be it.

This ego trip incident will backfire at him big time,next time he's gonna open his mouth talking about Africa.He just lost total credibility today as spokeperson for this cause.

...what a shame...

Last edited:
Cigar said:
Bono shouldn't be bigger than the song itself.He didn't wrote that line.It doesn't belong to him.If Hawkins did a better vocal performance than him,so be it.

This ego trip incident will backfire at him big time,next time he's gonna open his mouth talking about Africa.He just lost total credibility today as spokeperson for this cause.

...what a shame...

Uhmmmmm......whatever, dude. Do you really think Justin Hawkins should be singing this line instead of Bono?? What has Justin Hawkins done for you lately?

Anyway, why didn't they ask Simon LeBon, Noel Gallagher, Thom Yorke to be a part of this? I think the song needed more star power, IMO.

Cigar said:

...what a shame...

Have you HEARD The Darkness???? Is it even CONCIEVABLE that he could sing any line of the song better than our beloved 44-year old? I realized we're pretty biased here, but I rather listen to B read the ingredients of a cereal box than listen to that snot-nosed twit attempt to "sing".

And I don't see this as an "ego trip" for Bono. So far as I understand, he was asked to perform for the 20th anniversary version - he didn't DEMAND that he sing his line from '84. I think anyone would have to admit, though - whether a U2/Bono fan or not - it's fitting for him to sing the same line now as he did 20 years ago, considering: 1) it was such a memorable, poignant part of the original, 2) he's spent the last 20 years trying to help the people that Band-Aid originally attempted to help, and 3) I can't think of one other artist from the original '84 recording who's career is still as strong today as it was then -- I don't believe there are any. What better way to connect the two recordings together?

No hard feelings - I just strongly object to the insinuation that this was orchestrated by Bono for the sake of his ego.

Kudos for Bono - :bow:

He deserves every good thing that can happen for him in the Universe. :angel: :hug:

believer75 said:

Uhmmmmm......whatever, dude. Do you really think Justin Hawkins should be singing this line instead of Bono?? What has Justin Hawkins done for you lately?

Anyway, why didn't they ask Simon LeBon, Noel Gallagher, Thom Yorke to be a part of this? I think the song needed more star power, IMO.

I'm not a fan of the Darkness or Hawksin himself.But do you really think Bono can pulloff the vocal like he did 20 years ago?

Like i said,the line doesn't belong to him,and if Hawkins did a better job this time around,than Bono should swallow his pill and be happy for the real winners of the song,which are the people of Africa.

And as far as i know,the rest of the original band members of Band aid haven't made a egomania trip out of this.

Last edited:
Cigar said:

...what a shame...

are you kidding?

i think the fact that bono has committed a significant portion of his life to this cause will help him retain his credibility.

i guess we'll find out the next time he "opens his mouth about africa" as you put it. we are supposed to believe that people will all say "bono, we aren't going to listen to you because you stole that line from justin. you egomaniac!"

sorry, but i don't think so :)

kellyahern said:
It's Justin who is making a big deal out of this. He is the only one saying he did a "better job" than Bono.

And who the hell took a flight to London last night to re-record the line??????.

Sorry,but the B-man is the one who's making an egomania trip out of this

Ok, I heard The Darkness, and I don't like them, so perhaps my opinion isn't of much value, but I can't take this guy seriously.

When I hear him, it kills me because it seems like the music indusrty has actually become the farce that I feared it has become.

Cigar
it's hard to tell about the ego trip--i'm not sure if it is a big tabloid drama build up or what.
but even if B is being a diva here, please gimme a break about him "losing his credibility."
his commitment to africa is beyond question.

caragriff said:
Cigar
it's hard to tell about the ego trip--i'm not sure if it is a big tabloid drama build up or what.
but even if B is being a diva here, please gimme a break about him "losing his credibility."
his commitment to africa is beyond question.

I have no doubt that he was sincere about the cause,i don't question that for a second,but for the love of god,that "dramatic" flight to London last night for beating Hawkins performance,"IS" a egomania trip on "HIS" PART!

The sad thing about this,is that you can be sure that all the Bono bashers will have more munitions to make fun of him.It's going to be very hard for all of us to defend him.

Last edited:
How dramatic is it to fly to London from Dublin....it's still the UK.

You do realize you are here on a U2 fansite....this isn't The Darkness' fansite ya know.

Bono has kept his commitment to Africa all these years since singing that line. That alone should give him the right and honor to redo it. And why do you feel he has to sound just like he did 20 years ago?! Even if he did, you'd probably complain that you spent your money on a duplicate of the older version. Maybe Bono is going to do us one better than that. Maybe Bono still has a few tricks up his sleeve....I'd have to say I think so.

from irelandonline:

A version was recorded by Justin Hawkins of The Darkness yesterday and the singer claimed it was better than that done by the U2 frontman.

Ure said it was a “very Darkness version” which “may have been perceived as a little too flippant”.

He added that, as he was leaving the studio last night, Bono had flown in to record the line again.

Kemp was critical of Hawkins’ version, saying: “You don’t want this to be a parody of the other one.

"That’s maybe what Justin was kind of in danger of.”

How is that egomania on Bono's part? :huh:

starsgoblue said:
How dramatic is it to fly to London from Dublin....it's still the UK.

You do realize you are here on a U2 fansite....this isn't The Darkness' fansite ya know.

Bono has kept his commitment to Africa all these years since singing that line. That alone should give him the right and honor to redo it. And why do you feel he has to sound just like he did 20 years ago?! Even if he did, you'd probably complain that you spent your money on a duplicate of the older version. Maybe Bono is going to do us one better than that. Maybe Bono still has a few tricks up his sleeve....I'd have to say I think so.

For your information,i'm a huge fan of U2.I love the new album and i can't wait to see them next year.And yes, i realise i'm on a u2 fansite..and the best site,i might ad.

Theres no need to accuse me of of being a B- man or a U2 basher .I only critic what i consider a bad move on Bono's part.A move that won't make him look good in the eyes many.

Hawkins has a voice that wants to make me throw ma radio out of my window,also.But again,this line wasn't write for Bono or by him.If somebody can a do a better job in 2004,either it's Chris Martin or Hawkins for that matter,there's no need for Bono to blow a fuse because someone else has done a better job this time around.

He did a fabulous performance in 1984,No one will ever forget that.

Last edited:
I think Bono's reputation will survive this 'scandal'.

Ure specifically wanted Bono to do the line again...so while it may not have been written by or directly for him there are people involved in this who still feel strongly about Bono reprising the role. This, I am sure, had ALOT to do with Bono's flight to London...I don't see Bono throwing any kind of tantrum over this. Hawkins seems to be the one that needs to learn his place in the musical kingdom's food chain.

I never said you were a U2 basher now....don't be saying I did.

Agree, Cigar. But the case is probably that Bono is the man for this job. The singer of Travis said on norwegian TV a few days ago that nobody could sing this line but Bono. I don't know. And I honestly don't care. But if Bono says "fuck off, this line is mine", Bono is just being the Bono he has always been. And that's cool. And they really should "fuck off".

i think we are all going in circles here.
cigar, its all your fault!
(just kidding).
but if you watch the recent band aid documentary clips (someone posted a few on pleba a while back--anyone have it to post??)
anyway, it is clear from those clips where geldof and midge ure and bono recall the original band aid-- that this line WAS written for bono.
geldof had to convince him to sing it because bono did not want to at first.
but geldof wanted bono to sing it.
and only bono could have delivered it the way he did.
something came from his soul that no other singer could have duplicated.
this line was written for him and he sang it in such a way that yes, he does own it.
after reading what kelly posted from ireland online, one could easily argue that Bono actually flew to london to record this line at the last second out of a sense of duty and obligation, rather than ego.
defense of bono rests.

caragriff said:
i think we are all going in circles here.
cigar, its all your fault!
(just kidding).
but if you watch the recent band aid documentary clips (someone posted a few on pleba a while back--anyone have it to post??)
anyway, it is clear from those clips where geldof and midge ure and bono recall the original band aid-- that this line WAS written for bono.
geldof had to convince him to sing it because bono did not want to at first.
but geldof wanted bono to sing it.
and only bono could have delivered it the way he did.
something came from his soul that no other singer could have duplicated.
this line was written for him and he sang it in such a way that yes, he does own it.
after reading what kelly posted from ireland online, one could easily argue that Bono actually flew to london to record this line at the last second out of a sense of duty and obligation, rather than ego.
defense of bono rests.

Last week,there was an artical about the new version,and never it was mention it was written for him.Don't forget,back in 1984,U2 were not as huge as they are today,so i doubt that who ever wrote the song,he thought about the B-man as the first candidate for singing it.

But you know very well,that there's alot of people who think that Bono has an ego larger than life...think of what some of his detractors will say about this,reading this story.

It just doesn't look good for his image.He will be portrait has someone who see himself bigger than the cause itself.And perception can be very hard to defend over reality.

I just wish Bono would have let it go
:(

Last edited:
The rumor about Bono having an ego is hardly what you'd define 'news' so much as a 'running joke'. This one's been floating around for ages.

I don't think Bono has done anything wrong. I think Hawkins is the one who raised a stink and behaved like he was bigger than the cause itself.

Cigar said:
Don't forget,back in 1984,U2 were not as huge as they are today,so i doubt that who ever wrote the song,he thought about the B-man as the first candidate for singing it.

Didn't Bob Geldof have a hand in writing this song? As a good friend of Bono's, he probably did choose Bono.

- Whoops, posted at the same time as you Caragriff :)

Last edited:
Cigar said:

And who the hell took a flight to London last night to re-record the line??????.

Sorry,but the B-man is the one who's making an egomania trip out of this

And who is whining about it in public?

Hawkins is the egomaniac here, he demeaned the cause and the song by that. "I did a better job" - was it a competition to him and not a cause, bigger than that?

I have no problem with Bono re-singing the line, and Hawkins got 2 lines plus he shares some with Travis' singer. Quite the hog for attention, and did you read what Ure said about his take? Doesn't seem like he did THAT a good job on the line. I shudder to think what his falsetto (much as he tries, he is nowhere NEAR Freddie Mercury) would have done to the line.

I write this as a former fan of the Darkness.
The simple fact is that Hawkins has, during his short career developed a habit for dragging up this kind of rubbish.
I've previously given him the benefit of the doubt on the NME and on Micheal Eavis and Glastonbury but this seems to be desperate attention grabbing even by his standard - look his bands tour tickets are selling poorly, the new material premiered over the summer even by his admission was at best piss poor and frankly he's lucky to be anywhere near this record.
He's succeeded beacause a lot of press people are pretty stupid and he's got a ton of free publicity out of charitable cause.
Was he honestly suggesting that the sales of the record would be improved by leaving Bono off altogether?
Do me a favour.
I've seen his band twice this year I don't think I'll do so again in a hurry.

By having Bono involved in the song this time round at all, it's kind of inevitable he was going to get his original line. For him to have sung a different line would have just been wrong.

Whoever was saying (something like) he couldn't do it as well as he did back in '84, I disagree.

I have absolute faith that Bono was/is the man for the job. And while his voice is not the same as it was 20 years ago, that does not necessarily mean it is not as good.
I'd be willing to bet everything I own that Bono has delivered this line with as much passion and conviction as he did back then. Maybe more.

Back
Top Bottom