(10-06-2006) U2 Recording Studio to Tower Over Dublin -- CBC Arts*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/arts/photos/2006/10/06/u2-tower061006.jpg[/SIMG]
U2 Recording Studio to Tower Over Dublin

CBC Arts

Toronto has its CN Tower and New York its Empire State Building. Now Dublin is about to join the skyscraper club with the U2 Tower, a 130-metre building to be named after the Irish rock band.

The tower will bring new meaning to the U2 hit Vertigo, with a recording studio for the band on the top floor.

The project has been designed by Irish architects Burdon Craig Dunne Henry, who won an international competition with their twisting 30-storey design.

Described as like a "Brancusi sculpture," it will be the tallest building in Dublin when it is completed in 2009, and is expected to become a landmark.

However, the distinctive tower will be nowhere near large enough to be counted among the world's tallest buildings.

Three Canadian architecture firms — Andritsos/Luke, Brown + Storey and Kearns Mancini — entered the competition, which drew bids from around the world.

The project, to be built on docklands in south Dublin, will have 182 apartments selling for 1-1.5 million euros ($1.4-2.1 million).

A recording studio for U2, with views of the city and the ocean, will be in a penthouse at the top. Bono and the band will have a dedicated elevator to take them between the studio and the café and terrace on the ground floor.

U2 already own a hotel in their home city, and band members have invested in real estate in Dublin.

u2-tower061006.jpg

I guess that's better than having a street named after you. Cool!! Another place in Dublin to be swamped by U2 fans. :wink:

I wonder what the Irish think of this. The band is always saying the Irish try to keep their egos in check, and Bono always talks about how the Irish tend to look down on rich and successful people ("One day, I'm going to get that bastard!")

:yes: Oh wow! It's About Time!! Definetly does something for the skyline, etc.., ! I'm in-how's sbout sharing one on the 4th floor? hee-lol! yes-what A View, indeed! :wink:

That's awesome! Gorgeous building. If I remember correctly the Irish people do have a problem with it. Wasn't there an old article posted here about that? It's somewhere....

That's the way it always is though with new construction.
It will please many, and upset many, for very many different reasons. (ie; the new Freedom tower/911 memorial in NYC) I think it will re-vitalize the area, things like this often do, but who knows what the details were in obtaining the land and how the neighbors feel?
I wonder... but it's U2 people, come on! It's a good thing!!
At least they have a conscience and I would think in the process of building this tower they did not lose it that I am sure of. But I don't know the details.

After 2010 maybe they wanted the tower to records other bands, They own part of their own label. Does anyone know what will happen to the other studios.

it sure stands out from its surroundings :| in my personal view, it would be better located in a place where there are other tallish buildings.

Jeannieco said:
where are they recording the new album? Anybody know?
Isn't the old studio gone?

No Hanover Quay is still there, it wont be demolished until the new one is built apparently.

I just think its odd to go from a realtively obscure place to find(well it used to be!!) to a building that everyone can see for miles.
I'm sure this will make it much harer to meet the band at the new studios as they are having their own access and parking, I bet security will be pretty tight.

Why will there be apartments to rent? I honestly do NOT think that U2 are greedy+money hungry, but what made them decide to rent out apartments? Is it due to the situation w/ The Clarence?

At least it's a pretty building...perhaps deranged fans will make a new Wall with some of their FanArt...:evil:

2morrow said:
Why will there be apartments to rent? I honestly do NOT think that U2 are greedy+money hungry, but what made them decide to rent out apartments? Is it due to the situation w/ The Clarence?

At least it's a pretty building...perhaps deranged fans will make a new Wall with some of their FanArt...:evil:

The apartments are all to buy up to 3 million Euros!!!

The building work, apartments. offices etc thats being built around that area I would have thought so, they are trying to make it more upmarket.

Is there a place on the building for all u2 fans to spray paint "Carlos from Argentina" or whatnot?

I've always found that Graffiti looks better on Brick wall rather glass structures like covered bus stops.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
Is there a place on the building for all u2 fans to spray paint "Carlos from Argentina" or whatnot?

I've always found that Graffiti looks better on Brick wall rather glass structures like covered bus stops.

u2fp

Ya, good point. The graffiti will have to find a new home...the internet I guess, this forum?
Bono is always talking about the future...I guess we the fans have to find a new way to commuincate with the band, but that means the web, and that means we already have it, but do they really read the boards? Maybe on U2.com, but I wonder if they have visited these boards? I would like to think so! Even if it's a rare thing.

Looks like a gorgeous structure and one U2 should be proud of as they were so instrumental in having it built. It SHOULD be named after U2! I hope to get to see it one day!

^Heck YES. The key to making all the fans happy? Bring the Giant Mirrorball Lemon out of retirement, and plant it right on top of the tower. It can be a beacon of light to all, mysteriously rotating around and giving a majestic aurora of glittering light. Seriously, that would triple the value!:dance:

Back
Top Bottom