(09-20-2004) The Sounds of Fall -- Newsweek*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
The Sounds of Fall

Fall is here and life is good. Switch on the TV: No more reruns. Visit the local multiplex: No more “Catwoman.” Soon enough, record shops will start stocking stuff that’s actually worth paying for. To guide you through the racks, NEWSWEEK takes a sneak-peek at this season’s most-anticipated CDs. Don’t panic—there’s still time to free up space on your iPod.

U2, 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb' (Interscope)

The Who once sang, “I hope I die before I get old,” and for most of us, the feeling is mutual. We’d rather our favorite groups give up the ghost than age ungracefully. U2 refuses to do either. When the Dublin quartet released "All That You Can’t Leave Behind" in 2000, critics said they’d gone “back to basics,” resuscitating six-string uplift after a decade of cheeky Euro pop. But the record was no nostalgia trip; U2 had moved on. All melody and muscle, tracks like “Beautiful Day” were, for better or worse, more grown-up than the earnest ’80s-era hits they’d supposedly revived. Expect "Atomic Bomb," due out Nov. 23, to add some much-needed edge (and Edge) to the new equation. “[The album is] driven by a guitar player who is sick of the sight of me shaking hands with dodgy politicians,” Bono recently told a British paper. “The anger is unbelievable.” Believe it: His better-with-age vocals snap and crackle on the anthemic first single “Vertigo,” and the band sounds leaner—and louder—than ever.

dsmith2904 said:
The Sounds of Fall

“[The album is] driven by a guitar player who is sick of the sight of me shaking hands with dodgy politicians,” Bono recently told a British paper. “The anger is unbelievable.” Believe it: His better-with-age vocals snap and crackle on the anthemic first single “Vertigo,” and the band sounds leaner—and louder—than ever.

oh man, that quote is older than bono :)

but i do like that description of the vocals--nice to see not everyone thinks his voice is changing for the worse.
bono snaps and crackles........
i think his aged voice has tremendous character and the rough edges only add to the emotional appeal of his singing.

Ever since Achtung Baby I always thought Bono's trademark was his cracking voice...more an asset than a liability...it's what makes Bono Bono!

Re: Re: (09-20-2004) The Sounds of Fall -- Newsweek*

caragriff said:
oh man, that quote is older than bono :)
Oh I know - that's got to be the first thing we ever heard about this thing. Recently told a British paper? Give me a break.

4 days!!! :hyper: I'm not sure I can handle this.

Back
Top Bottom