(09-03-2004) Exclusive: First-Hand Report on 'Rippin'' U2 Song -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
beli said:
In Australia CD singles are about $4.50 to $5.00. CD albums are $26 to $30 so theres quite a price difference here.

And that may be a big reason why you still get CD singles. I wouldn't be surprised if CD singles are still pretty strong in Australia.

In the U.S., one can find the CD album for as little as $11-15 (U.S. dollars), while a CD single - especially one that has "extras" - can be $4-8 (sometimes the ones that just have a song or two are $2-3). Years ago, a 45 rpm sold for a dollar or less, while the album was $7-10. So people bought records as they were pretty cheap and a great way to own a song. But now, with CD singles being so expensive, it's almost better to buy the album.

but but but Europe, Australiasia, etc still have singles. Im sure someone wrote somewhere on here that the USA is 30% of U2s market.

Now if 70% of the U2s market are in countries where singles are still released, why the delay?

u2ulysses said:
Billboard has acknowledged how poorly a lot of CD singles sell - and those that do sell at least somewhat (a few thousand copies a week) may linger at the top of the sales charts as a result. This unfairly biases how big of a hit a song is, because those CD singles sellling decently might NOT be the ones getting tons of airplay on the radio.

This brings up an interesting discussion. Which song is more popular? The one that sells a lot, meaning that people actually go out and spend money one? Or the one that just gets played more on the radio, being shoved in everyone's face?

But it wouldn't be fair for the #1 song to be something that sold just 3000 copies in a given week while the #10 song is receiving 3x the airplay.

Why not? Is it then fair when the #10 song sells 3x as much as the #1 song?

As a result, record abels, acknowledging that CD singles don't always sell (the big exception is the U.K., which does base single rankings on the success of the CD single), usually push the song at radio stations and only promote the CD single in certain countries.

I think it's more a case of record labels wanting to get rid of CD singles, than that they not sell very well. They thought that single sales cannibalised album sales. And maybe they did a bit. On the other hand, they also made it easier to go to the record store, especially if you didn't have much money to spend. Instead of paying full price for an album, you could then buy the single and maybe buy the album another time. Of course, granted that the album has more good songs on it than just the single.

But I think this is more a discussion for a different thread. :)

u2ulysses said:
In any event, it's not unusual for the CD single to be released weeks after the radio release. I do admit though that the rather long delay here is a bit odd - and I suspect it's being done to really push album sales (and not CD single sales).

As a comparison, Beautiful Day was released to radio the first week of September, IIRC. The commercial single became available on 9 October. That's also a delay of 5 weeks or so (and three weeks before the release of the album). For Vertigo, the gap between radio release and commercial release is one week longer, while the gap to the album release is one week shorter.

C ya!

Marty

Over here, singles are about 1/3 - a bit more - the price of a CD.

Can't say I really noticed U2 singles here up until ATYCLB; since then, I've seen singles for
BD (both versions),
Elevation (the one with 4 remixes and the one with Don't take your guns to town),
Electrical storm (the regular one with two New york mixes and the DVD one)
- and on the internet site of the CD store, 2 Walk on singles - prices differa bit, so I 'm guessing it's two versions - are listed.

ericbunny said:
what's a hook?

A hook is something that grabs ya and reels you in, like a trout.

Also, I emailed Steve to tell him it was a great quote and he told me 99x will probably do a U2 weekend special once the single comes out. I imagine other cities will do the same. Yay! I mean, if I have to listen to the radio for the new song, I'm glad there'll be a lot of other U2 as well.

Song Vertigo

I was at the Josh Groban concert here in Dallas and they played the Vertigo song by U2 before the concert. It is Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Re: (09-03-2004) Exclusive: First-Hand Report on 'Rippin'' U2 Song -- Interference.com*

mikeuk said:

Now come on really, we all know that October & WAR are very different beasts - and October (Gloria apart) didn't really do hooks. Sounds as if this DJ doesn't really know U2 of that period.

Mike

Steve knows U2. Of any period. In fact, he knows more about 80's "new wave" and early 90's alternative music than anybody else that I've ever heard.

Plus he's the only reason I ever listen to the radio here in Atlanta.

Re: Song Vertigo

thegirllovesU2 said:
I was at the Josh Groban concert here in Dallas and they played the Vertigo song by U2 before the concert. It is Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who did? How did you know it was "Vertigo" by U2? Please e-mail me if you have any more details so I can check this out.

Thank you,
Devlin Smith
Contributing Editor
devlin@interference.com

thegirllovesU2 said:

Are you serious ? Or should i say are you sure it was Vertigo ?

thegirllovesU2 said:

:shocked:

Details, please!

AussieU2fanman: :laugh: Josh Groban is an American pop singer. Kind of the male version of Charlotte Church in that I think he also sings classical music.

Back
Top Bottom