(08-01-2005) U2 tipped for NZ concerts - Stuff*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 tipped for NZ concerts

In the name of love – and big ticket sales – Irish supergroup U2 are likely to play Wellington next year as part of their world tour.

Music industry sources in Australia told The Dominion Post that U2 were seriously considering playing New Zealand early next year once the band confirmed dates in Australia.

U2 are touring Europe till late August, then the United States for the rest of the year. They plan to play Japan and Australia in January and February.

The band has the pulling power to fill Wellington's Westpac Stadium, which sold more than 30,000 tickets to Neil Diamond's show in March.

But sources said U2 had preferred indoor venues on their tours and this was likely to influence their decision. Wellington's biggest indoor venue, The Events Centre, can hold about 5000, which could mean more than one concert.

Centre manager Neville Brown said he had had no contact about U2 playing at the waterfront venue.

The boss of Auckland's planned 12,000-seat Vector Arena said in May that there was "more than a chance" U2 would play Auckland next year.

Industry sources in Wellington said contracts had been signed in New Zealand to supply sound equipment for U2 shows in the capital.

Westpac Stadium chief executive David Gray said he had not been directly contacted about U2 playing there next year. But it was possible promoters – without mentioning U2 by name – were considering bringing the band here.

"There are a lot of inquiries about dates. It's the usual story, you get calls from promoters (and) you don't know what the act is.

"We are not in direct negotiations with anybody, but we're aware that U2 is a possibility of touring this part of the world."

Pacific Entertainment Promotions director Ian Magan had heard nothing about U2 appearing in Wellington, neither had U2's last down-under tour operator, Australia's Dainty Consolidated Entertainment.

U2 last played Auckland and Christchurch in 1993, but Wellington did not have a big enough venue.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3364376a1860,00.html

OK Kiwis, let's not get excited just yet, but this is promising! :hyper:

U2 play a 5,000 seat venue?

I thought the smallest public gig they played since JT was 7,000 seat venues in amsterdam?(2001) and miami(1992)

u2fp

This is so exciting. Wizard was just planning tonight a trip to Australia / New Zealand early next year...I was over at the websites in fact a few moments ago. What timing.

:wink:

This is far from confirmed though - and why would they go to Wellington to play a 5000 seat venue? Aucklands new arena will hold 12,000 but I dont think its ready yet...

U2FanPeter said:
U2 play a 5,000 seat venue?

I thought the smallest public gig they played since JT was 7,000 seat venues in amsterdam?(2001) and miami(1992)

u2fp

They didn't play Amsterdam on the Elevation tour. I don't know the capacity of Miami 1992, but I know the Notre Dame arena on Elevation was tiny.

I very much expect U2 would play WestpacTrust Stadium or hit the arenas in Christchurch and Auckland, but if they played the Events Centre in Wellington for multiple shows ... can you imagine U2 in a 5,000 seat venue? :drool: I would spend anything to be at every single show! :rockon:

COME ON, U2 IN NEW ZEALAND! ONE TREE HIIIIILL!

I was just wondering if any venue was too small for u2. They don't really go smaller than 7-8,000. I also added a couple dates of interest.

Tuscon 4/87 - 8,000
Las Vegas 4/87 - 8,673
Belfast 6/87 - 8,000
Brussels - 7/87 - 8,000
New Haven, CT - 9/87 - 10,000
Perth 9/89 - 8,000 x 3 night
Brisbane 10/89 - 8,000 x 3 nights
Adelaide 10/89 - 9,000 x 2 nights
Dublin 12/89 - 4,500 x 4 nights
Lakeland, Fla 2/92 - 7,200
Gotemburg 6/92 - 8,000
Kiel, Germany 6/92 - 6,500
Perth 2/98 - 13,000(only arena show in 97 - full screen)
Copenhagen 7/01 - 10,000 x 2 nights
Glasgow 8/01 - 9,000 x 2 nights
Notre Dame 10/01 - 12,000

u2fp

The Events Centre, 5,000 people, four or five nights.

COME ON COME ON COME ON! :rockon: :drool:

I'll spend about six months in Australia next year travelling from Adelaide to Cairns and maybe visit New Zealand, too.
If there'll be a leg in Australia, do you think there's any chance to get a job building the stage or something else?
So I could earn some money and visit the concert with my travel partners.

I'm going to New Zealand too next year....doubt if I'd be fortunate enough to get U2 tickets...nice to think about though.

:|

Back
Top Bottom