(07-15-2004) New U2 Album Stolen or Lost? - AFP*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, but we are not in a time period of "right before a release." We are now in "Four months before a release."

No one seems to have an accurate memory of the laptop fiasco, so read this: (from www.u2station.com)

Bono Has Found What He Was Looking For: Missing U2 Album Returned!
12.10.99 - music365

BONO's missing laptop has been found.

The U2 frontman's computer, which contained material for the band's new album, was taken from his car in Dublin on Monday December 6.

But according to Irish newspaper The Star today, Friday December 10, they have reunited Bono with his missing property. The singer is quoted as saying "Everything I had written was on it - now the album is back on track. Thanks so much."

The laptop was returned by a young Dubliner named Paul who hap bought it for ?300 believing it had come from a reputable source. The man, who didn't want his second name made public, had bought the laptop for his wife who is learning to use computers. He said: "When you switch it on a picture of Bono's new baby (Elijah) appears and as I'm the father of a three month old child myself it made me even more anxious to give it back."

Paul and a reporter from The Star met the singing superstar last night to return the laptop. Bono said: "Everything I've written since August was on this and I hadn't backed up any of it - so I would really have been a goner. This is like my portable brain - unfortunately I've got a smaller one so this stores all my information".

The singer offered to buy Paul a new laptop. The good-natured citizen also stand to pick up a ?2000 reward that was offered by U2's management team.
Copyright ? 1998, 1999 365 Corporation plc, and all rights are reserved.

Well we are just two months before the release of a single (or singles) if the most recent report from the AP is correct. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was simply an accident.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
it is a little odd that before every album is released, something gets stolen. frankly i believe the "publicity stunt" idea. electrical storm was "given to a DJ as a wedding gift" and amazingly ended up on the radio the next week. all these things that go missing always happen right before a release... it is a little ironic, don'tcha think?

I agree. A little too fishy, but hey, it's alright. :wink:

neutral said:

Same here, this is disheartening. :crazy:

Since when does U2 have to stage a huge publicity stunt, including sending 30 people to the police for questioning, to promote a new album? That's nonsense. Where's our faith in the band? :shrug: :confused:

Oh relax, would you? It's not that big of a deal. We'll all get our songs already, and the world will turn.

And faith in the band? What's that supposed to mean? I listen to their music every once in a while, but I don't go to their church every Sunday.

Some of us need to take a breather here. Everything will be fine. :)

Ya, I dont think this is that big of a deal. And I dont think its a publicity stunt as well. The important thing is the there is NO WAY that this is the only recording of the album. Their in France, theyve recorded the whole album in Dublin, and they dont have one copy in the studio? Edge put the only copy in his pocket on the flight over?? Yup, buddy....so that one article in nonsense.

The CD was probably taken, but what can anyone do? Lets hope it doesnt leak (but if it does, honestly, I would download it and still buy the album). I just hope it doesnt disrupt anything, and the band uses this as an excuse to delay the release. I cant wait to hear more news about this, I was SO dissapointed when I read this thread today. Logging on to hear new things about the album, and read this??? I'm gonna have some road rage leaving work tonight...

Zoorock Girl! said:

Oh relax, would you? It's not that big of a deal. We'll all get our songs already, and the world will turn.

Some of us need to take a breather here. Everything will be fine. :)

I don't have to "relax" or "take a breather here". I'm entitled to post my opinion about the theft/leak/whatever, same as everyone else here. :|

Yes, I'm sure everything will be fine and we'll get our songs. :shrug: I just don't think it's a PR stunt. Hopefully that clears it all up.

Back
Top Bottom