(07-15-2004) New U2 Album Stolen or Lost? - AFP*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
u2grace said:
For what it's worth - I am listening to Virgin Radio UK online (I"m in the US) and they just said - " U2's new album, called Vertigo, should be out about November, but it might be delayed now - U2 was in a pub last night and lost the only cd copy of the new album. Look for it on websites near you..."

Anyone remember the game of "telephone" - the message changes with each person who hears it!

haha yeah chinese whispers...
a pub?
the only copy?

that would be bad.

I am confident that there is a back up somewhere. It can't all be lost and I am sure some things can be re-worked. I am no expert but I have faith.

elfyx said:
Of course, if this is true, it also means that it could be damaging to the album itself and will no doubt throw a big fat monkey wrench into the marketing and business side of things too right now at a time when we're FINALLY making solid progress towards a release.

i agree and it might mess up tour plans.

A_Wanderer said:
I think that interferencers should hold back and wait if these songs popup online and don't download them, It's better to wait and know its right.

i agree in respect to the band that if anything is leaked to hold back. I didn't listen to the other leak and i won't this time. It is tempting i will admit but I have will power.

AussieU2fanman said:
I will be downloading the new songs the SECOND they come onto the net. I really dont want the album to be leaked, I REALLY REALLY DONT as this could fuck up U2's whole plan. But why the hell not download them? Your going to buy the album no matter what. I'll just buy a $30 album for the dam cover.
What I'm trying to say is that making an ethical standpoint on the issue is absolutely futile. If you know that you're going to buy the album, there's NO harm in downloading the songs early. It's just if you download the songs and you do not purchase the album as a result of already having the songs, that you ARE doing harm to U2 which is BAD (BAD DOG...NO!). You won't be setting an example by not downloading them, you'll just be testing your self-discipline, which is a reason in itself I guess (god knows I need some, but thats another topic).

Not everyone buys what they download if they like what they here. Sadly there are so many music theives out there that it is sad. You and I and a few others on the board are the exception and respect music.

AussieU2fanman said:
yeah exactly what zoorock girl. Even most of those people who say they won't download the songs will do it and you will buy the album seeing as that you are big enough a fan to be on these forums.

I won't download for the other reason is I like to be surprised when the album comes out. I like the first musicial impressions that I get when i pop a CD into my player. U2 are the exception for me in doing this. I will admit that with most bands, I download and if I like, I buy.

This really sucks for them....The only good thing is that its not the only copy of the songs......Edge should have been more careful :(

isabelle_guns said:
I am confident that there is a back up somewhere. It can't all be lost and I am sure some things can be re-worked. I am no expert but I have faith.

of course there's a backup. otherwise this would be the crime of the century.

it would be funny though, hypothetically, if U2 carried their new album on one CD and that's it, no backups. right now they'd be searching Kazaa to get their album back.

I can only hope this was an honest mistake by a person of high moral fiber and that the CD is returned unharmed and UNCOPIED.

And as a loyal fan, I can't understand knowingly stealing a rough copy of the album. I mean, Heaven knows how ready I am for the new album & tour, but it seems to me there's a certain amount of respect I would owe the band if ever I had the opportunity to be in their proximity. And that respect includes sacrificing what my wants might be if they impeded on U2's good graces and/or dignity. Taking a CD copy of an unfinished album (without being asked to do so & how likely is that to happen?!) certainly crosses the line.
I just hope it's found quickly with its digital "virginity" still in tact.

elfyx said:
Terrible, terrible news if true.

There is a BIG difference between a week-before leak and an orchestrated theft three to four months before the release.

U2 must be so upset right now, and I really feel for them. I can GUARANTEE you that I won't be downloading any of the songs if they show up on the net. Sorry, not under these circumstances. There's almost nothing worse in life than thieves. And if true, these thieves have absolutely NO respect for the band or the work itself. Shameful.

I wish the best possible outcome for u2 on this.

Absolutely!
Count me in!

mikal said:

of course there's a backup. otherwise this would be the crime of the century.

it would be funny though, hypothetically, if U2 carried their new album on one CD and that's it, no backups. right now they'd be searching Kazaa to get their album back.

haha, u2 downloading their own album back so they can release it:der:

Silliness.

First, there is absolutely no way the CD in question is the one and only copy. Think about that for a moment. One CD -- that could get broken, melted, scratched, malfunction, lost, or just maybe stolen -- being their only copy? Absolutely no way that's a possibility.

Second, these types of "incidents" have occurred several times previously. It's never caused them to release the album early and certainly doen't appear to have hurt album sales.

BTW, is it really too soon for a leak? Shouldn't a single be out no later than 6-8 weeks from now?

I would say the odds are very, very good this is just another publicity stunt. I can't believe so many seem to think otherwise.

edgeu22 said:

BTW, is it really too soon for a leak? Shouldn't a single be out no later than 6-8 weeks from now?

Isn't the single supposed to come out in mid-September? If so, this still seems a tad early to pull a huge publicity stunt like this. I mean, how long will this continue to garner headlines? There's not going to be a "U2 Album Watch" on CNN for two months. If this were, say, a couple weeks before the single or album came out, maaaybe I'd buy that it's a stunt. But it would just make so much more sense for them to pull a stunt like this later that I really don't think that's what's going on here.

edgeu22 said:

I would say the odds are very, very good this is just another publicity stunt. I can't believe so many seem to think otherwise.

And I can't believe so many people are so quick to think it's a stunt. So, U2 felt they needed publicity so badly that they made a false report to the police. That's a serious offence. Why are you and so many others prepared to think so badly of them?

Ho-hum -just another in a long list of U2 publicity stunts to promote their new album.

For Achtung it was the "stolen" tapes.

For POP it was the "leakage" of Discotheque and Wake Up Dead Man.

For ATYCLB it was the "stolen" laptop.

And now it is the "only" CD copy they have that was "stolen."

Their act is getting tiring. Can't they just promote the album without resorting to publicity stunts?

Cheers,

J

Anyone with knowledge of audio recording knows that this isn't the only copy. The source recordings are sitting somewhere, the mix is sitting somewhere else, and this CD, I'm sure, is just a rough copy to show to people. This is different than the "Achtung Baby" sessions, where source DATs were stolen.

People, really don't worry. If it's leaked, we get another "evolution" to listen to, just like the AB tapes, although it certainly won't be as raw, and look at AB the album? It still sold handily. The final albums sales will not be affected by this leak, no matter the amount of fearmongering from the music industry.

Melon

This is terrible news indeed. I hope they find out what happened exactly.

But honestly.. if it was available for download.. could you actually NOT download them, while everyone is talking about the songs all over the net and interference, raving about how great they are. Wouldnt you be so very curious and anxious?

I definately plan on buying the album, in any case. And I just LOVE the name Vertigo. I hope they go with that for sure.

I'm starting to think this might be a publicity stunt. If they lost it, why make a big deal about it? If they really were concerned about it getting on the net so soon, wouldn't it make more sense for them to keep it hush hush?

Whatever, I'm sure everything will work out just fine in the end.

:ohmy: I guess the best way to put it would be, if YOu lost something important to you, like this new work for the CD-would you be upset? I have at least noticed, they CAN be very trusting with their new work, it having been reported on here how some fans have actually heard the new material! So I am thinking, that someone just got a little too anxious to hear the new tunes, and took it. I have NOTm and Will not, download songs-esp. from U2! I have no problems at all going to the store and getting the music I want!:cool:

Zoorock Girl! said:
I'm starting to think this might be a publicity stunt. If they lost it, why make a big deal about it?

Yeah, if they lost it. But if it was stolen?? Their going to the police would just a little bit suggest that they think it was more than just lost, don't you think?
Sheesh! I really despair for humanity. The cynicism makes me gag.

I'm :tsk: :no: :rant: :banghead: :scream: and :angry: because:

a) Some :censored: "might" have stolen four years of very hard work. Putting "might" in " " because I seriously don't think Edge could be *so* careless that he dropped it in a pub, the toilet or whereever... We've waited so long for this album - why couldn't some :censored: wait another few weeks?!
If any of you come across this cd - PLEASE return it to it's rightfull owners!!!

b) People are suggesting that this is a publicity-stunt!!! I don't belive what I'm reading - why do you think that tracks are leaked before time or things have been stolen?! This is the worlds biggest rock-band!!! It's obvious that people everywhere want to get their hands on things they've made! I could only whish that the guys had learned from previous experiences and had watched their things more closely, but...

biff said:

Same here, this is disheartening. :crazy:

Since when does U2 have to stage a huge publicity stunt, including sending 30 people to the police for questioning, to promote a new album? That's nonsense. Where's our faith in the band? :shrug: :confused:

biff said:

Since when does U2 have to stage a huge publicity stunt, including sending 30 people to the police for questioning, to promote a new album? That's nonsense. Where's our faith in the band? :shrug: :confused: :banghead:

jick said:
Ho-hum -just another in a long list of U2 publicity stunts to promote their new album.

For Achtung it was the "stolen" tapes.

For POP it was the "leakage" of Discotheque and Wake Up Dead Man.

For ATYCLB it was the "stolen" laptop.

And now it is the "only" CD copy they have that was "stolen."

Their act is getting tiring. Can't they just promote the album without resorting to publicity stunts?

Cheers,

J

Just another of jick's negative and inaccurate posts.

AB tapes WERE stolen.

POP (and ATYCLB) were leaked, most likely by internet savy fans, not by the band.

ATYCLB - well, we all know Bono has been known to lose things. The laptop, the October lyrics...he's human, after all.

Also, where did you read this was the ONLY CD? Edge cleary said "it was my CD." Of course there are several copies and the original tapes are probably in the studio, but that's beside the point.

Publicity stunt? I don't think so...read their statements and think about it - they called in the police, which cleary suggests there is a good possibility it WAS stolen. False police inquiries are a felony. They have absolutely nothing to gain by such a PR stunt.

neutral said:

Since when does U2 have to stage a huge publicity stunt, including sending 30 people to the police for questioning, to promote a new album? That's nonsense. Where's our faith in the band? :shrug: :confused: :banghead:

:yes: My thoughts exactly!!!

I don?t beleive in this CD robbery, I think it?s a Universal Marketing Game, anyone remember of the "lost of Bono?s Notebook" with lyrics of "All That You Can?t Leave Behind" ?

PLEASE

I think it?s a Universal Records Marketing Game, NOT U2`s Game

Cheers
Erick

Cynicism or naivete.. it's seems to be one or the other.

I don't see it as a terrible thing if it is just a publicity stunt, they do them all the time.. whether its playing a song on top of a building, using the world's largest video screen for a concert prop, schmoozing with celebs or holding a press conference at K-Mart, and this particular situation gets them headlines around the world.

.. although it does fall a bit more on the disingenuous side. Maybe it really is lost/stolen.

For me, either way it doesn't change the way I feel about the band.

it is a little odd that before every album is released, something gets stolen. frankly i believe the "publicity stunt" idea. electrical storm was "given to a DJ as a wedding gift" and amazingly ended up on the radio the next week. all these things that go missing always happen right before a release... it is a little ironic, don'tcha think?

Back
Top Bottom