(04-06-2006) Chernobyl Convoy a 'Lifeline from Ireland' -- Irish Examiner*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Chernobyl Convoy a "Lifeline from Ireland"

By Eoin English

VOLUNTEERS were yesterday packing trucks and ambulances with over €3 million worth of humanitarian aid that is bound for Belarus this weekend.

The 42-vehicle Chernobyl Children’s Project convoy, which includes 27 fully-equipped ambulances and 15 articulated trucks, will stretch three kilometres when it leaves Midleton, Co Cork, on Sunday.

Up to 90 aid workers will deliver aid to orphanages and hospitals across a 1,600km region in Belarus over the next 10 days.

This month marks the 20th anniversary of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster.

Chernobyl Children’s Project director Adi Roche described the convoy as a lifeline from Ireland.

“What they carry is the hope and dreams and real practical love of the people of Ireland to the people of Belarus,” she said.

The convoy is being dedicated this year to the memory of a Belarussian child, Veronik Charlai, aged 12, who died a few months ago from cancer.

Ms Roche and Ali Hewson, Bono’s wife, will fly out next week to join the convoy. They will present a special ambulance to the Red Cross to be used as a mobile thyroid monitoring unit that hopes to screen up to 500,000 people this year.

--Irish Examiner

:bow: Kudos to Ali and all the others on this convoy to Chernobyl!

I will think good thoughts for all your safety. :hug:

I read that Ali had actually driven one of the trucks years ago

I wish I still had HBO, I would love to see Chernobyl Heart! I think this work is so commendable! What an awesoe caring big hearted couple Bono and Ali are!

This weeks people ( with Katie Holmes on the cover) has a similar story on 20th anniversary of the Chernobyl incident. The story focuses on one of the clinics that has been upgraded because of CCPI and some of its volunteers from the US. It's an amazing and uplifting story.

It's also unbelievable that the gov't of Belarus will not acknowledge these children.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom