(02-16-2005) PM to help bring U2 to Ottawa - Jam!*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
(02-16-2005) PM to help bring U2 to Ottawa - Jam!

PM to help bring U2 to Ottawa

By DENIS ARMSTRONG

OTTAWA -- Radio station BOB-FM's campaign to bring U2 to town saw them recruit a top gun for the cause yesterday.

During a live phone-in at 8 a.m., Prime Minister Paul Martin told the station's morning crew he would mention the petition to bring the band to town the next time he talks with U2's lead singer Bono.

"I'll make sure that Bono knows that many of the federal employees who worked on our original debt relief program (for Third World countries) are fans of the band," Martin said, referring to one of the Bono's causes. "Ottawa has a high concentration of U2 fans."

Sandi Sharkey, part of the morning crew, promised that if Martin was successful the station would change its name to PAUL-FM for a day.

Arthur Fogel, the band's international tour manager, said the station should hold off on a name change -- for now.

"It's unlikely at this point," said Fogel from his office in Los Angeles. "But never say never. I wouldn't underestimate Paul Martin's ability to persuade the band to play Ottawa."

Martin and Bono have been friendly since 1998 when Martin, then the finance minister, met the U2 frontman and political activist after presenting a Canadian program to wipe out Third World debt.

Sharkey plans to deliver an online petition to Martin's office next week. In the meantime, the poll remains open at www.939bobfm.com.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2005/02/16/932652.html

Copyright © 2005, CANOE, a division of Canoe Inc. All rights reserved.

What do they mean "unlikely at this point"? The band used to spontaneously add dates if the damdn was there. They did it in dinky little Albany, NY in 1992. A local station started a petition that got 25,000 signatures in 2 weeks and the station PM's brought it down to Principle's office in NYC. This was in late early April 1992 (the Albany show had been the 3rd week of March.) The Saratogs Springs date (about a half-hr north of Albany, the only venue they could find was the town's harness-racing track) was scheduled by the end of May, and it took place on August 22.

Does Fogel know the Fall dates already? I think he's being rather arrogant. At this point, we're lucky to be getting a tour at all, and he least of all should assume ANYTHING. I HATE, HATE, HATE this "int'l tour manager" thing. The first time they had this Clear CChannel-imposed thing was for Elevation. Before this, if U2 wanted to play a marley they'd never played before (like South America) they just did. Plus they played a lot of out of the way places. Now, it seems people like Fogel are "advising" the band to stick only to the tired and true major money markets.

The implication that it's going to take only the word of a head of state to change Fogel's mind (because that sure as hell isn't the way the BAND thinks, 10 times more so now that so few people got tix--they want to add as much as possible) disgusts me. Why can't he just put Ottawa on the map? Hasn't he heard the words "untapped market"?

Another question for the band....do you have to use jerks like Fogel? Do they come as part of the package?

I live in Ottawa but I would actually rather U2 DON'T play here. We know they they plan to play 4.5 hours down the road in Toronto (as many as 4 shows rumour has it) and they will surely play shows in Montreal as well (only 2 hours away). I'd rather see them add additional Montreal dates than come to Ottawa. Why? Because Ottawa fans are notouriously reserved at any kind of show. You'd find few fans in the reserved seating area standing at any point in the show, except for maybe a few during 'Pride', and the people on the floor will be standing absolutely still as if dead for the entire show. I would feel horrible if U2 had to perform in front of such a stoich crowd.

I've attended many large shows in Ottawa at the Corel Centre and its the same thing everytime. At the Barenaked Ladies show about a year ago I was asked repeatedly by the people next me to sit down... I was in the very FRONT ROW! During an Alannis concert a few years ago in about the 12 row on the flow, I was rudely heckled throughout the entire show for standing. And I wouldn't expect any better behaviour from Ottawa crowds at a U2 show. Montreal crowds are always much more exhuberant and I'd much rather watch U2 perform there.

-Tim

Back
Top Bottom