(02-14-2005) Rumor: Bono in the Sick Bay? -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Rumor: Bono in the Sick Bay?

This morning on Los Angeles radio station KROQ, DJs Kevin and Bean were discussing U2's Grammy acceptance speech where Larry said the band may be cancelling dates for the rest of the year. Kevin, who was the announcer at this year's Grammy ceremony, said he heard reports that Bono has a slipped disk in his back and requires treatment. The back injury, according to Kevin, was why the band played the mellow "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own" instead of "Vertigo," a song that would have required Bono to jump around.

Stay tuned to Interference.com for more updates on U2 and the forthcoming Vertigo Tour.

We know he's had serious problems with his back in the past, but this sounds like someone added up 2 and 2 and got 5. Let's hope so. They don't need any more problems.:(

That doesn't make sense at all to me. Larry's comment was about U2 cancelling the tour completely - not the rest of the year. And Bono's performed "Vertigo" several times without issue. Furthermore, per Melissa's blog entry, Bono stated that they felt "Vertigo" was a bit over-performed (much as "Beautiful Day" was) and wanted to change things up. So it seems that "Sometimes..." was chose regardless of any back issues. Lastly, if Bono's back was that bad, why start the tour and end it early? Why not have surgery, heal and then start the tour? As Biff wrote above, it seems that this is some hearsay.

That said, if Bono's back is bothering him, I hope he heals nicely as possible.

well, I hope it's not true, but if it is, I hope he takes the necessary time out to get better instead of pushing himself in aid of the tour :up:

I think these radio guys don't know what the hell they are talking about. Larry never said they were currently thinking about cancelling dates for the rest of the year - he only said they PREVIOUSLY thought they might have to.

All I hope is that now that there's a rumour out, that the band or management release the truth immediately, either denying or admitting that there's a problem. Fans will go nuts if there's confusion. Air this thing out, please.

Jon

First off, I have a slipped disk...It is a chronic condition that requires anti-inflammatories (sp) and physical therapy ie., heat packs, massage, etc...it is NOT a tour stopping injury...just one that needs attention...Secondly, Larry did not say that they ARE thinking about cancelling the tour...he said they WERE thinking about cancelling the tour...big difference...and unfortunately now we all know why that was now...

God bless Sian and her family.

Last edited:
If it's cartilage between the vertebrae that have slipped it takes two weeks of physiotherapy or 2 appointments with a chiropracter. I agree. i hope this is only a rumour and that Bono is OK.

Jon

Oh great, another bunch of ill-informed radio lackeys come along and say something that is absolutely not true.

Shocking! :mad:

As has been stated above, Larry didn't say anything about cancelling dates for the rest of the year.
Do these radio guys even listen? He said they thought they previously might have to cancel their tour due to circumstances not in their control. Previously thought, but not now.

The smog has killed too many brain cells I guess.

kevin n bean?!

don't worry, those two idiots are the worst LA jocks we got..
they constantly talk from their arses and their morning show coupled with the worst dreck they call music makes kroq one of the worst stations imaginable. Pity because in the 80s they broke such great bands but really went down after the death of grunge...

those two morons are just spewing nonsense to "stir things up" they are always so misinformed about everything....

Dragonfave said:
Here we go again..... More delays. Enough already!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :rant:

a) Complete rumor
b) Assume it is true... What if Bono feels cannot go out on stage and give 100% and they postpone?

I thought we were getting closer to understanding that they are merely human like the rest of us

:crazy: :crazy:

If by any chance I misunderstood the intent of your post, I apologize. I am just sick and tired of selfish, whiney, panic inducing "fans"

:| :|

Last edited:
I heard them talking about it on KROQ on the way to work this morning. I didn't even bother posting this because it's not a rumour, it's stupid Kevin and Bean talking out their asses, like they usually do.

AND they totally misquoted what Larry said. Larry did not say they were cancelling anything. I hate radio jocks.

LAME. :|

They should listen to "the highschool dropout" because thats probably exactly what they are except unlike Kayne West they never made anything out of themselves.

I dont think it could have been made any more clear last night by Edges statement why the tour was going to be delayed or cancelled in the first place.

Green Day is right about one thing there is surely a lot of "American Idiots", I wouldnt have even posted that story if i was Interference.

jedi Larry said:
Oh great, another bunch of ill-informed radio lackeys come along and say something that is absolutely not true.

Shocking! :mad:

As has been stated above, Larry didn't say anything about cancelling dates for the rest of the year.
Do these radio guys even listen? He said they thought they previously might have to cancel their tour due to circumstances not in their control. Previously thought, but not now.

The smog has killed too many brain cells I guess.

Actually, Kevin was the announcer for the Grammy's, so he's got a bit more insight to the matter than "just another radio lackey".

And the Smog=L.A. quips are so 1980s. Truth is, the air quality in L.A. has gotten increasingly better the past two decades thanks to the AQMD. Wanna bust on a city for air quality? Crack on Las Vegas.

Thanks.

Oh, and everyone who thinks a slipped/bulging disk in the back is nothing to affect a 45 year old lead singer who will be bouncing around for a couple hours every other night are off their rockers. Sure, if you got a desk job and you're sitting on your fatass all day, it may not be a problem. Doing 2 hour concerts is something else.

That said, let's hope the tour goes on as planned.

LuminousTimes said:
First off, I have a slipped disk...It is a chronic condition that requires anti-inflammatories (sp) and physical therapy ie., heat packs, massage, etc...it is NOT a tour stopping injury...just one that needs attention...Secondly, Larry did not say that they ARE thinking about cancelling the tour...he said they WERE thinking about cancelling the tour...big difference...and unfortunately now we all know why that was now...

God bless Sian and her family.

Depends on which disk is involved and whether it is just a bulge, or the severity if it is ruptured. I have been fighting one in my lower back since Oct. and have missed over a month of work off and on. It's difficult to walk when your foot is numb. However, he has had a bad back for some time and has seemingly been doing okay.

Erin go bragh said:

Actually, Kevin was the announcer for the Grammy's, so he's got a bit more insight to the matter than "just another radio lackey".

Thank you for posting this. As stated in the original post, this is just a rumor but since Kevin was the announcer for the Grammys, he did have access to some insider information and that gives this a bit more weight.

Just for the record, I am not totally dismissing the possibility that Bono's back is bothering him... I had posted this on another thread, so we do know that he has issues with it.

10-03-03 news
Bono's Back Clashes with Engagements...

Well it seems that Bono's back trouble, that was reported on ShowBiz Ireland first, it still giving him jipp - the U2 frontman has dropped out of more engagements because of treatment.

We told you a while back that Bono had dropped out of Neil Jordan's The Good Thief movie Premiere due to a slipped disc - it now seems that the ailment has made the singer cancel a number of his public engagements.

Bono was due to attend a ceremony in New York to induct UK punk band The Clash in to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame but had to pull out of the gig as he is receiving treatment on his back problem.

However, it is reported that U2 guitarist The Edge will attend the ceremony in Bono's place.

'http://www.showbizireland.com/news/march03/10-u2135.shtml

Also:

http://www.showbizireland.com/news/february03/19-u2131.shtml

http://www.showbizireland.com/news/february03/19-u2130.shtml

I have actually often wondered if the reason why in recent times Bono is often seen holding his jacket around his midsection has anything to do with this injury and if he is in pain...

:shifty:

As always, let's just wait and see and try not to panic please! :wink:

Qoute from Larry last night...
"Thank you. As some of you might know, we nearly weren't going to be able to play live tonight and we didn't think we'd be able to play live for the rest of the year. Live is where we live...."

My opinion, he's referring to Sian. God bless Edge and his family.

*editted due to my bad spelling :p

Well, that is not quite true...some of us met Bono yesterday morning of the Grammies and when asked if they would play vertigo he said no that due to promo they would play sometimes....and he looked FINE!!!:drool:
It not to say that maybe his back is bother him again like it was some years ago.....

BTW I met the Edge and he is a CUTIE in person!!:D

Hoping this isn't true-that'd be so awful having this tour get off to a not-so-great start, especially after all the good publicity they've gotten the past few months, all the great media acclaim and everything. If Bono's back is hurting him, I hope he gets it taken care of soon-my dad has a slipped disc in his back, too, and he's told me before about how uncomfortable it can be-so do take care of yourself there, Bono. And may things begin to look up for the entire band, may this tour still go on and blow everybody away :).

Angela

Miroslava said:

I thought we were getting closer to understanding that they are merely human like the rest of us

:crazy: :crazy:

If by any chance I misunderstood the intent of your post, I apologize. I am just sick and tired of selfish, whiney, panic inducing "fans"

:| :|

What? You mean they're not in some ridiculous conspiracy to steal all our monry and make us hate them forevermore? Surely not! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom