(01-13-2006) U2 Rule the World -- RollingStone.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Rule the World

Ed. Note: What does Edge mean by "bye-bye"?

Last year, U2 sold out each of their 118 shows worldwide, played before more than 3 million fans and earned more than $260 million, making the Vertigo Tour the year's second-biggest, behind the Rolling Stones. By the time U2 reached Portland on December 19th, the band had played eighty-two North American dates, featuring a slew of special guests, including EDDIE VEDDER and BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN. In February, the band will launch Vertigo's final leg, which includes dates in Mexico, Argentina, New Zealand and Australia. "The reaction to the shows has been unprecedented," guitarist the Edge told Rolling Stone. "I'm happy to say bye-bye, because I don't think we could ever top it."

--RollingStone

Here is the story on RollingStone.com

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/9142769

Where the quote is given as:

In February, the band will launch Vertigo's final leg, which includes dates in Mexico, Argentina, New Zealand and Australia. "The reaction to the shows has been unprecedented," says the Edge. "From a really great start, it's just built and built and built. I'm happy to say bye-bye, because I don't think we could ever top it."

It does seem like he is referring to the tour ending, at least I hope so! :eek:

I think he is actually talking about the end of the American tour - no stadium shows for this tour in the us

The man is obviously from the future. He needs to teleport himself back (ahead) there and begin work on his next sessions. When he is ready, he will teleport back here and play these session tapes for the rest of the band members. Only then, can U2 move forward with a new album. :wink:

Nearly everything said in this Rolling Stone article is incorrect.

The Vertigo Tour was the highest GROSSING tour worldwide in 2005 with $294 million dollars in GROSS from 110 sellouts! The article says 260 million from 118 which is incorrect!

The Rolling Stones only played 42 shows in 2005 GROSSING 162 million dollars. The Stones were 130 million dollars behinid U2 for 2005.

Also, U2 played 78 North American shows, NOT 82!

It appears that Rolling Stones magazines poor and inaccurate reporting on political issues has drifted into their coverage of music.

I feel better after reading these comments...yet my heart hasn't recovered from the lurch it gave when I first read "bye-bye.":sad:

Surely they'd say officially, right? Right?

Yea I am totally sure that it just means the American leg of this tour...but that didn't stop my heart from stopping for a milli second:huh:

Well I assume he's talking about the tour ending, but I wouldn't be crushed if U2 decided to call it quits. I'd rather they go out on top.

Thank you, Canadien! Some people need to get a grip. It will end at some point. Could be now. Could be another 20 years from now. But it needs to be understood it won't and can't last forever. If it did end, as Canadien said, at least they wouldn't embarrass themselves like some other 60 year old rockers out there.

sounds like he is talking about the end of the american leg, and he is happy to say "bye bye" to america as the stadium version in his eyes would fail to top what they have done on this tour, hence the headline "U2 Look Back on U.S. Success "

Last edited:
Erin go bragh said:
Thank you, Canadien! Some people need to get a grip. It will end at some point. Could be now. Could be another 20 years from now. But it needs to be understood it won't and can't last forever. If it did end, as Canadien said, at least they wouldn't embarrass themselves like some other 60 year old rockers out there.
why does it matter what age they are?, how would you feel if someone told you, you had to stop working right now because your to old?

but he adds after the bye bye that the tour will be hard to top...i think you're all missing that important little part. certainly seems like he's talking about touring in general to me.

Does the Edge ever say "bye-bye"? That seems like a very un-Edgelike thing to say. Maybe he was misquoted? I mean, come on, surely the guitar player for the biggest band in the world does not say "bye-bye."

KUEFC09U2 said:
why does it matter what age they are?, how would you feel if someone told you, you had to stop working right now because your to old?

I dream of someone saying this to me!

:dance: :drool: :hyper: :applaud: :dancing: :hyper:

Alas... it appears it'll take at least another 20 to 25 years (hopefully not 30 or more) before I hear those magical words. :sad:

doctorwho said:

I dream of someone saying this to me!

:dance: :drool: :hyper: :applaud: :dancing: :hyper:

Alas... it appears it'll take at least another 20 to 25 years (hopefully not 30 or more) before I hear those magical words. :sad:

hahahaha! me too!!! :laugh:

I believe i remember reading in U2's Bible that after the Zoo Tv Bono was talking to Flanagan about how maybe U2 shouldn't go on being the biggest band. He said something about maybe Pearl Jam (or some other bands) taking U2's place, and that something different was the destination for U2.
We all know that this philosophy did not last very long. Sure, they did the Passengers. But with Pop and, without a doubt, with ATYCLB, they were determined to be the biggest and best band in the world. We all remember the re-applying for the job speech.
If i were in their shoes I certainly would feel like giving up touring for the rest of my life.

Giving up now would fly in the face of everything they've said so far this year about wanting to be part of rock and roll's future. My guess is he is either saying bye to the US leg or to 2005 in general.

The author didn't do his/her job not asking for elaboration.

My take: It's nothing.

U2girl91289 said:
Does the Edge ever say "bye-bye"? That seems like a very un-Edgelike thing to say. Maybe he was misquoted? I mean, come on, surely the guitar player for the biggest band in the world does not say "bye-bye."

Maybe he said "buh-bye."

nathan1977 said:
Originally posted by U2girl91289

Maybe he said "buh-bye."

:laugh:

Last edited:
ooh, that is scary to leave it in the air like that! Poor reporting to not follow up somehow...
but it really would be odd if Edge meant that's it for touring instead of just touring the US with Vertigo...

I mean, "happy to say bye-bye" as a way of refering to the end of U2 performing live?! that would be truly strange...that phrasing seems like he was just refering to a 'ta; catch you next time' to the US fans instead of 'leaving behind' touring forever, lol!

And even if Rolling Stone reporting has gotten awful, I'd think if the reporter thought Edge was saying U2 was putting away the stage show for good it would warrant a bigger headline making that clearer...
cheers all!

Back
Top Bottom