(01-07-2005) U2 Delays Releasing Tour Dates -- Belfast Telegraph*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Delays Releasing Tour Dates

By Debra Douglas

07 January 2005
Millions of U2 fans across Europe were left on tenterhooks today after the band postponed announcing the dates for the first leg of their tour.

The move came amid unconfirmed reports that guitarist The Edge was keeping a bedside vigil by an ill relative.

Official tour dates were to be announced next Monday, with tickets due to go on sale later this month, but it is thought plans have been put on hold after it was reported that The Edge needs to be with an unnamed family member undergoing intensive medical treatment.

The highly anticipated tour, which was to promote their new top-selling album How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, was scheduled to start on March 1 in Miami.

But, according to newspaper reports, it may be postponed for at least one month to give The Edge - real name Dave Evans - time to be with his ill relative.

Following a report on respected US entertainment magazine's website, a spokeswoman for the band said she was "in no position to confirm or deny the rumours or speculative details".

But the Irish Star claims a source close to the band admitted "all of the plans are in a total flux" as the family member receives treatment and that other sources believe it is likely the tour may be postponed for at least one month.

On the band's website, manager Paul McGuinness blamed the delay on "routing".

He said: "We've postponed the announcement of the tour because the routing is still being worked on. As soon as we get everything confirmed over the coming weeks, we'll let you know."

The band was expected to play 115 shows after starting in Miami. They planned to play 35 arena dates in America before starting a major European stadium tour in the summer.

The delay means several American dates could be postponed until the second leg of the band's US tour which is due to start in September.

It is hoped the European tour, due to kick off in Dublin in June, will go ahead as scheduled.

This is not the first time a major family crisis has hit the band. During their 2001 Elevation world tour, singer Bono was forced to fly home every night to be by his seriously ill dad's hospital bedside.

Bob Hewson died during the tour after a long battle against cancer but a grief-stricken Bono still took to the stage just days later to perform at an emotionally-charged concert at Slane Castle.

--Belfast Telegraph

I had a premonition about this happening with the Edge,. During that interview with MTV Italy not too long ago, the Edge sat uncharacteristically quiet and sullen during most of the interview. I wondered at that time what was happening with him - was it something within the band or within his family?

I concluded (unfortunately) that it was probably within his family since the band has been so tight with each other lately.

My ABSOLUTE BEST THOUGHTS, WISHES AND PRAYERS go out to the Edge and his family. :up:

May the health issue present be successfully resolved and may ALL of the Evans family have the strength, courage and Grace to see this most difficult time through together positively.

EDGE - OUR HEARTS ARE WITH YOU, OUR SPIRITS PRAY FOR YOU.

Remember - Divine Love always surrounds and never leaves you.:angel:

Take whatever time you need to get through this - your TRUE-HEARTED followers will be there for you to bring us Joy and Hope when YOU are ready.

LOVE AND PEACE TO YOU ALWAY, EDGE AND FAMILY and U2.

And THANK YOU, Pinciple Management, for taking this principled stance. My admiration for you has increased 1000%.

ALWAYS PAIN BEFORE THE CHILD IS BORN....:hug:

Front page of the Sunday World today had a story about Edges daughter having leukemia.

I hope everything will be oke for the Edge and his familly!!
The tour is not as importand as the health of a relative.

Good luck Dave!!

folly said:
Front page of the Sunday World today had a story about Edges daughter having leukemia.

Oh no, is this true? That is a tabloid like paper. Did it mention the daughter's name? I'd have to have more proof. How awful if it's true, how rude if it isn't to print that.

Val said:
Is this true?
I'm wondering as well. There's been no official announcement, but if it was on the front page of an Irish paper you'd thing there's something to it. Is this story from the Sunday paper online anywhere?

Paper was The Sunday World. An Irish only weekly publication that known for it's crime exposing columnists.

The did say however that it was Edge's son by Morleigh. Only a toddler.

RABIDLAMB said:
Paper was The Sunday World. An Irish only weekly publication that known for it's crime exposing columnists.

The did say however that it was Edge's son by Morleigh. Only a toddler.

I was told it was his 7-yr old daughter Sian the paper talked about, not a son. Has anyone seen this paper who can confirm it?

Those are tabloids. And if the story is true, I wouldn't trust them past my nose. The family would be beyond the reach of any local hack snooping around.

The truth is, nobody really knows. And frankly it's nobody's business...but it's a good bet that the damned tabloids are trying to find out more. IF this story is true, (God forbid) you can bet the family is NOT in Dublin right now...Which explains how it is still a secret...the Irish papperazzi can't access their shadowy local connections they must normally use for stories like this...

How long this can remain a secret will only be a matter of time. The tabloids in America are bad enough; Britian's the Sun is even worse. And one of the Dublin tabs was sued by the band in the early 90's after publishing some personal info on Bono's growing family that frankly nobody had any business knowing at the time. I shudder to think what they may try to do to "confirm" this..I'm not going to speculate.

All we can do is pray that it isn;t true..but treat it as if it was, and pray for Edge's ailing child, and the Evans family, and the the whole U2 organization.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom