week 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Album sales Canada - U218 SINGLES - 10(11)(12)

This gives U2 their 12th top ten album in Canada!

Singles sales Canada - SAINTS - 2(2)(3)(1)

" " " - ABOY - 29(24)

Radio airplay Canada - WITS - 21(16)

Last edited:
Slipstream said:
Album sales Canada - U218 SINGLES - 10(11)(12)

This gives U2 their 12th top ten album in Canada!

Singles sales Canada - SAINTS - 2(2)(3)(1)

" " " - ABOY - 29(24)

Radio airplay Canada - WITS - 21(16)

This is for last week. We won't get Canada week 7 till next week. Still i'm glad it's gone back into top 10!

mikeuk said:
Ireland 1 (3)

Also, WITS - new entry at 6

Mike

Even though it's Ireland i'm still amazed it's gone up to # 1 - wow! :dance:

I was hoping there might be a similar pattern in UK but depresingly i don't think so...it seems to be down most places i've just looked (eg down 18 to # 23 at HMV UK). :(

Last edited:
#12 in UK looks like my prediction of it hitting top spot in January was way tooooooooo optimistic, still sales have been good.

jimmmm said:
#12 in UK looks like my prediction of it hitting top spot in January was way tooooooooo optimistic, still sales have been good.

I thought it was in for a 10 spot drop so i'm not too pissed. Sold 16k. Total now = almost 633k though they're now gonna re-do last weeks chart - overall estimations were 5% too high! So last weeks 47k may now only be 30-40k. Ouch!

Balfron said:
WITS 4th in UK charts this week after rule change allows download only singles to be counted.

Good entry for 'Windows'. Sold 12k & now up 5 to # 1 on UK airplay chart. Impressive.

ps - when the OCC do the corrections (in a few days they say), last weeks 47k in UK should only be maybe 2.5k lower (5% of 47 is actually only about 2.5).

Hits Daily Double is back in business...

With 21.20% counted, U2 is at #28 with 6,706
Let's hope it can rise up from last week's Billboard position of #32 and stay above 30k this week.

Billboard for week 7 (Jan 20 issue)

Album charts
Top 200 - U218 holds steady at 32
Top 25 Digital/Downloaded - U218 drops 7 to 22
Top 25 Rock Albums - U218 up 1 spot to 9

Single charts
Hot 100 - Saints down 17 to 91
Pop 100 - Saints down 10 to 82
Modern Rock Top 40 - WITS down 5 to 40
Hot Adult Top 40 - WITS up 1 to 27

Video charts
Top 40 Music DVD - U218 down 8 to 31

A relatively new section of Billboard Charts is called "Hits of the Web", which I've never checked out before, but I did today and here is the description and then chart positions:

HITS OF THE WEB
Updated every Friday at 5:00 p.m. EDT
Hits of the Web is a combination of rankings from various Web sites that reflect music-related activity on the Internet. Hits of the web is a combination of rankings from various Web sites that reflect music-related activity on the Internet.

= Subscription Required

AMG (All media guide) AMG's information databases for music, video, DVDs, and video games are licensed by major retailers and Internet sites and are available to the public through its Web sites (www.allmusic.com; www.allmovie.com; www.allgame.com) and through its published works. The Top Artist Searches and Top Album Searches represent the top searches for the week on allmusic.com.

Top 25 Artist Searches
U2 down 1 to 7
Top 25 Album Searches
U218 up 20 to 21

LAUNCH Top Music Videos - LAUNCH, Your Yahoo! Music Experience is the premier music destination providing music fans with the largest collection of music videos, streaming audio, exclusive artist features and music news covering all genres of music. The LAUNCH Top 25 Videos represents the most requested music videos by LAUNCH users.

Top 25 Positions
WITS debuts on the chart at #20

Gracenote Digital Top 20 - The Gracenote Digital Top 10(tm) represents the most popular albums played on the Internet using the Gracenote CDDB® Music Recognition Service(tm), aggregated weekly from over 24 million listeners worldwide.

U218 down 5 spots to 14

THO 100 - The chart is compiled from personal charts all over the web. Every chart position on every personal chart is used, no matter how large the chart. For each song, points are awarded based on where the song is positioned (more points for #1, fewer points for #10). When all chart data for each week is compiled, the total points for each song is divided by a coefficient which is a function of the total possible chart points for that week. This formula creates a score usually ranging from 0 to 150 for each song. This score is standardized, allowing comparisons with scores from other chart weeks.

Top Hits Online weekly top 100

Saints down 8 to 34 (11th week on the chart; peaked at 12)
WITS up 7 to 60 (3rd week on the chart; currently at peak)

It's hard to imagine what music charts will look like in another year or two...or in 5-6 years. Who knows? U2 is featured in an online article and in the print magazine for the Jan 13 Billboard magzine where Paul M. states "U2 is looking at making concerts available for download right after the show, among other things, and that U2 would be moving in what he calls 'direct band to fan' contact and transactions in the future, starting with the next album in 2007 and tour in 2008".

International charts to come later.

Billboard has update the International charts for Europe anyway, and so:

Euro Top 100 Albums
U218 holds at #2 again

Euro Top 100 Singles
WITS debuts at #16
Saints is at #44

Euro Top 20 downloads
Neither WITS or Saints made the cut

WITS is shown as having some release dates of January 1, and others of January 8, depending on the country. I don't know the story on downloads, but I know it's not available as a download in the U.S., as it looks like U2 is trying to maximize album sales, and hoping that WITS might cause a few more people to buy the album even if that's the only song they lack...or if it is the song that actually gets them into U2. Who knows.

beLIEve said:
Paul M. states "U2 is looking at making concerts available for download right after the show, among other things, and that U2 would be moving in what he calls 'direct band to fan' contact and transactions in the future, starting with the next album in 2007 and tour in 2008".

2007 release :wink: first I heard PM say antyhing about that.

International following for sure!

Billboard has updated most of the International Top 5 or 10 Album and Singles charts. Mediatraffic has updated it's Global Singles Chart, too, where:

WITS is the "hotshot debut" at #24 w/98,000
Sainst is at #29 w/81,000

On their Global Album chart, U218 holds at #2 but the gap has closed on the Beatles to just 24,000 units, with U2 coming in at 152,000 versus 176,000 for the Beatles. Could WITS push U218 to the top? Not one single album in the mediatraffic Top 40 saw a sales increase, which I guess makes sense. Any big releases coming up that could keep U2 from ever hitting #1?

Other than WITS, only 4 other singles saw an increase from last week's chart. So U2 have both of their "new" singles from the latest best of album in the Top 30 of the WORLD at the same time, and they have achieved that right AFTER the big Christmas sales push. That has to be a pretty big reason why the album has not just completely disappeared after Christmas, which I think several of us expected. I wonder how many truly "new" fans U2 has gained with this release...it's hard for me to believe that it's hardcore fans who are still buying the album 7 weeks after it's release.

Back to Billboard. All these charts are current now and in the Jan 20 issue.

Argentina
U218 down from 6 to 8

Australia
U218 down from 3 to 5

Belgium/Flanders
U218 up from 4 to 5

Canada
U218 up from 10 to 8 the Top 100 Album chart
Saints up from 2 to 1 on Singles sales chart
COBL re-enters at 13 on Singles sales chart
WITS up from 21 to 19 on Hits Radio Airplay Top 100
U218 holds at 3 on the Alternative Top 50 Album chart

Denmark
Saints down from 2 to 4

Greece
U218 holds at 1

Ireland
U218 at #1

Italy
Saints up from 3 to 1
U218 down from 5 to 6

Netherlands
U218 stays at 5

Portugal
U218 stays at 7

Spain
Saints up from 5 to 4

Sweden
U218 down from 4 to 5

Switzerland
U218 stays at 5

While there are more countries listed than this, the majority only show the Top 5 albums, while some show the Top 5 singles, and the rest show the Top 10 albums, or singles, or both. Pretty amazing performance to me, even if sales have fallen off considerably. It will be interesting to see if it can make it to #1 on the Global chart in the next few weeks.

Last edited:
although the sales gap has closed to the beatles on mediatraffic, the % drop for each was the same 43% / 42%. however i still think U2 can be ahead of bealtes next week, although justin trousersnake isnt far behind, maybe he could be #1

#11 in Spain with 80,000 copies sold (PLATINUM).

2-5-9-11-10-8-11

Saints #4 after 10 weeks (5 weeks at #1).

1-1-1-1-1-3-3-4-5-4

U218 VIDEOS, #11 (#14), after 7 weeks.

2-6-11-13-10-14-11

Vox

Some information for week 7

France #5 compilation, sales of 6,636
USA #32, sales of 24,829
Japan #38, sales of 14,892 (2 wks of sales, last week no chart)
Canada #8, very low sales in Canada, #1 album sold 7k, #2 album sold 6k, #3 album sold 5k

ChargedVT said:
Some information for week 7

France #5 compilation, sales of 6,636
USA #32, sales of 24,829
Japan #38, sales of 14,892 (2 wks of sales, last week no chart)
Canada #8, very low sales in Canada, #1 album sold 7k, #2 album sold 6k, #3 album sold 5k

Do you know of the exact (or even estimated) total sales for any of these countries?

doctorwho said:

Do you know of the exact (or even estimated) total sales for any of these countries?

Yes indeed I do. The exact figures have been scattered through the threads in this forum, but here are the total figures for some countries for the first SEVEN weeks, rounded to the nearest thousand.

Japan - 132k
USA - 526k
France - 165k
UK - approx 630k
Australia - approx 195k

They are the only countries that have provided EXACT sales figures for 3 or more weeks.

Back
Top Bottom