Week 10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even if the market is dying for the single CD...I really, really want an EP CD with the Magnificent Remixes. I would have bought that in a heartbeat...as well as the single CD with Breath live. Forget chart positions or the downloading craze of this decade for a second...if you say you are going to release something, and people preorder it up to the day of release...then don't cancel it with no explanation!!! U2 has to know that the folks who ordered the CD single(s) are likely to be their biggest supporters!!!

To cancel this on the day of the release is really a slap in the face to all the hardcore fans who are collectors or simply really want to buy the CD single. Unless there is a plan to add the video, and then release an EP via DVD that includes the remixes, the video, and the live b-sides, then this just plain sucks. Perhaps there is a plan to release an EP this summer on CD that includes Summerville and maybe some b-sides, but I doubt it.

Anyone have the Redanka 360 remix of Magnificent? I have the other two but I like Redanka the best. I would by this proper if U2 would even let me!

Yeah, I'd buy a remixes EP on CD in a heartbeat, but I won't bother with a download-only purchase.

Magnificent itunes Update:

UK:
186 (Edit)
189 (Album)
203 (Fred Falke remix)
281 (Adam K remix)
Others on the Rock Chart
54 (360 version)
84 Beautiful Day
86 With Or Without You
87 Boots Justice Remix

EP is 30 on the album charts

Ireland:
80(album)
139 (Breathe live)
154 (Adam K)
186 (360 version)
On Rock Charts
97 (edit)
98 (Fred Falke)
100 (Boots Justice)
EP at 5 and 17

i-tunes update:
Magnificent (album version) up to #146 from #189
Magnificent (uk edit) up to #178 from #186
Magnificent (fred falke remix) up to #193 from 203
Magnificent (adam k and soha remix) up to #273 from #281

Also Magnificent ep is now at #23 from #30 on the albums chart

i-tunes update:
Magnificent (album version) up to #146 from #189
Magnificent (uk edit) up to #178 from #186
Magnificent (fred falke remix) up to #193 from 203
Magnificent (adam k and soha remix) up to #273 from #281

Also Magnificent ep is now at #23 from #30 on the albums chart

That is a fast and promising rise

Maybe the song will peak after the first week of its release

does the EP on the iTunes album chart, get included in the singles chart position of the offical chart?

Sale of the EP = 1 sale for singles chart
Sale of any of the songs on the EP that are Magnificent (Album version, single version, remix) = 1 sales if downloaded one by one
Sales of b-sides that aren't Magnificent (Vertigo, Breathe, Boots) = One sale for Vertigo/Breathe/Boots

So in theory U2 are better off if no one buys the EP and instead buys each song one by one

Sale of the EP = 1 sale for singles chart
Sale of any of the songs on the EP that are Magnificent (Album version, single version, remix) = 1 sales if downloaded one by one
Sales of b-sides that aren't Magnificent (Vertigo, Breathe, Boots) = One sale for Vertigo/Breathe/Boots

So in theory U2 are better off if no one buys the EP and instead buys each song one by one

thanks, why does it have to be confusing. can we just un-invent downloads and go back to the (good) old days

thanks, why does it have to be confusing. can we just un-invent downloads and go back to the (good) old days

I guess the logic is if you download an album/EP it's not the same as buying all the songs one by one as you get a slight discount, when if you only download Breathe (Live), you're buying Breathe and nothing else

Seeing as singles are fast approaching their previous sales peak, I think record companies will happily never go back to physicals which is unfortunate because I love getting a CD

Hmmm. I downloaded each of the remixes separately because I'm getting the edit and the live tracks on CD. So Magnificent actually gets 4 sales for my effort? Nice.

If you downloaded the four tracks separately and they were all Magnificent then it gets four sales

In the UK the single is heading now for the top 40 and the album has entered the top 20. Quite the turn around :lol:

Unfortunately the song may be peaking on itunes about now, all but the album version have plummeted

still with 2 days worth of sales to go aswell, i am just waiting on exact positions but my god seeing the album back in the top 20 is amazing :up:

still with 2 days worth of sales to go aswell, i am just waiting on exact positions but my god seeing the album back in the top 20 is amazing :up:

It's quite a turn around, I think we can easily blame the single's weak performance first day on U2 cancelling the physical (Bad move), it seems now that those who didn't get the physical purchased it off itunes, and hopefully others did too. Album is doing great this week

So, had Magnificent been psysically released, it would have entered the top 20. And that would be quite an achievement for a second single these times (Green Day didn't make it into the top 20 with their much hyped comeback new single). Magnificent though seems to have peaked on i-tunes. The album version is up to #142 from #146, the uk edit is down to #239 from #178, fred falke remix is down to #279 from #193 and the ep is down to #25 from #24.

Positions for todays midweeks in the UK, Album #20 and single just coming into the top 40 at #40, i think we can maybe expect another little rise in the album with 3 days worth of sales still to go, unsure about if the single will rise anymore or drop out of the top 40 by sunday, we will just have to wait and see with that.

Dutch Free Record Shop is selling both Magnificent singles in their stores. Mag (edit) + Breath Live is in a cardbox, the other one has Vertigo Live and Boots Justice remix. Same price, EUR 3,99 each.

In the UK the single is heading now for the top 40 and the album has entered the top 20. Quite the turn around :lol:

Unfortunately the song may be peaking on itunes about now, all but the album version have plummeted

Yeah drop your CD to 7quid and people buy it...

Btw is that Top 40 "good" or Top 40 "bad" - ie. #5 or #40 ?

The single currentley lies at #40, HOWEVER it is good news as it was at number 72 at the start of the midweeks, so it could be a climber.

Billboard update:

European Top 100 Albums
NLOTH at #4

Mexico
NLOTH at #4

Brazil
NLOTH at #10

Argentina
NLOTH at #5

Portugal
NLOTH at #8

Hungary
NLOTH at #5

As for Magnificent, the Euro Top 15 Airplay Singles lags a week behind the above listed album positions. For the May 6 edition, Magnificent rises from 15 to 13 in it's 3rd week on this chart, a run of 15-15-13. It will be another two weeks before the official release of the single impacts this airplay only chart, if it makes a difference at all. However, perhaps the airplay Magnificent is getting across Europe has helped keep NLOTH in the Top 5 of the Euro Top 100 Album charts. If so, then maybe the song is doing it's job after all, despite the botched release of the single by U2 Mgmt. If it can keep rising in airplay, perhaps NLOTH will stay in the Top 10 on the Euro Album charts until the tour starts. It's already had quite a run on that chart, although sales are down overall.

I love the song but I don't see the point in buying a bunch of remixes of it- haven't heard this batch, but remixes are invariably beyond crap nowadays

now a physical cd single release (or i-tunes release) with new b-sides or live tracks I would have gone for- this seems like a waste of money to me

oddly I've not seen the video on any of the music channels- I don't watch then 24/7 but the bigger videos usually come up again and again- it was the same with GOTB

Back
Top Bottom