Week 1 - Electrical Storm - North American Radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Following the tradition of Doctorwho's Chart update, I bring you Week 1 of Electrical Storm's North American Radio Play Charts

I rely on primarily www.rronline.com for the US and www.canoe.ca for Canada

For week of Sept 6, 2002 (Which I beleive is really up to Sept 1 actually)
Note: This was a short week for ES, as it was released on Thursday

United States

Alternative

Chart Position: 48
Spins: 390
Adds: 40 (2nd behind Foo Fighters with 68)

Hot AC

Chart Position: -
Spins: 281 (position 40 on chart has 305)
Adds: 24 (1st)

Active Rock

Spins: unknown
Adds: 5 (5th)

Rock

Spins: 76 (position 30 on chart has 148)
Adds: 12 (2nd to Rolling Stones with 16)

Triple A

Spins: 109 (position 30 on chart has 153)
Adds: 19 (2nd to Rolling Stones with 20)

CHR/POP (Top 40)

Nothing Yet

Canada

To be updated Thursday night

Not a bad start......does anyone here think we've got a number one hit on the Alternative Rock charts? Or will the matchbox twenties of the world get far more airplay?

I thought that "Elevation" would be a sure-thing #1 on U.S. Modern Rock stations. It had all the signs of being the type of song to dominate there - yet it struggled to crack the Top 10! Even "Beautiful Day" couldn't hit #1; whereas, "Discotheque" and "Staring at the Sun" did. In other words, I'm not sure U2 can hit #1 on these stations any more.

But it's all good. Last week I read an article on Billboard.com. They stated that the Red Hot Chili Peppers, "By the Way", was #1 on both the Mainstream and Modern Rock charts for something like the 1000th consecutive week. ;) Yet, despite the success on those charts, the song has only reached #35 on Billboard's Hot 100. In contrast, "Beautiful Day" reached #21 on the Hot 100, but it achieved that success LONG AFTER it had reached its peak on the Modern Rock charts (#4). While people may bemoan the Adult Contemporary (AC) sound of ATYCLB, it's the AC stations (and charts) that helped propel "Beautiful Day" on the Hot 100.

In other words, while reaching #1 on the Modern Rock charts would still be a blast, it seems more important to have a big hit on the AC and Top 40 charts to truly succeed.

Damn, i thought Elevation would be HUGE! I was very wrong, although i blame the way it was released and the video and it's association with TombRaider as some big reasons why it may have failed. Electrical Storm is a great song, and could fit on all formats, but i still feel it leans toward Adult Top 40 area.

That's ok, I hope it makes a showing on Modern Rock and Rock stations, but it won't be their bread and butter for this song.

Just sitting around talking U2 with a friend last night and after loving the band's incredible success with ATYCLB, for the first time in a while, I feel i really want U2 to step out and do something bold again, no matter what the chart concequences are. Give me another MOFO, I beg you.... sorry, i'm starting to ramble.

Here's to looking forward to more chart watching and radio requesting for years to come. :)

Update on Canadian Airplay for Electrical Storm:

For the period 08/26/2002 - 09/03/2002

Electrical Storm debuts at 54!

This chart represents total spins across all radio formats.

So the number 1 song would be the most played song in the country.

For Comparison purposes,

BD reached Number 1
Stuck reached 3/4 I believe
Both Walk On/ Elevation peaked in the 10-20 range

I believe it will reach the Top 10.

simply speculating, i would bet that it will go to number 1 in canada, and a top 40 hit in america.

ofcourse i have nothing to base this opinion on.

:D

I see Electrical Storm making an impact on AC Top 40, Modern Rock and Hot 100. It will be played more often on the Adult Contemporary because it sounds so similar to style of other successful Adult Contemporary acts (Matchbox 20 comes to mind immediately).

ChangeTheTemperature said:
Update on Canadian Airplay for Electrical Storm:

For the period 08/26/2002 - 09/03/2002

Electrical Storm debuts at 54!

This chart represents total spins across all radio formats.

So the number 1 song would be the most played song in the country.

For Comparison purposes,

BD reached Number 1
Stuck reached 3/4 I believe
Both Walk On/ Elevation peaked in the 10-20 range

I believe it will reach the Top 10.

I'm almost positive that BD did NOT reach #1. It did on the sales chart, but all of U2's singles did.

Back
Top Bottom