US singles sales?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DondeEsta

The Fly
Banana! Banana! Banana! Banana! Terracotta! Banana
I've been trying to find out the SoundScan stats for U2's physical single's in the 90s and their current digital single sales. So far I only know the first week figures for Discotheque when it debuted at #10 on the Hot 100 (50,000), GOYB sold 57,267 in it's first week when it debuted at #37 and as of June 2010 Beautiful Day has sold 1,366,000 digital downloads. Does anyone have or know where I could find more info?

I've been trying to find out the SoundScan stats for U2's physical single's in the 90s and their current digital single sales. So far I only know the first week figures for Discotheque when it debuted at #10 on the Hot 100 (50,000), GOYB sold 57,267 in it's first week when it debuted at #37 and as of June 2010 Beautiful Day has sold 1,366,000 digital downloads. Does anyone have or know where I could find more info?

I'm not sure where you would get exact soundscan sales for singles.

Well, there is the RIAA although some things have not had their certifications updated. Discotheque was certified GOLD for 500,000 in sales. Beautiful Day, Vertigo and Desire have also been certified GOLD.

Also, it was not possible to buy singles for All That You Can't Leave Behind in the United States during the initial two years that the album was released. Any singles purchased were purchased through imports. Thats why RIAA list the release date for Beautiful Day as November 12, 2002, but it started being played on the radio in the USA back in September 2000!

This is an album band, and most people interested in the band will be purchasing the albums. Single sales in the old days for U2 came mainly from people who were after the B-sides.

Also, singles back then used to cost about 1/3 of the price of the album. Today's digital singles are only 99 cents and often less than 10% of the full price of the album.

In any event these days, the majority of people no longer buy albums or singles because its so easy to obtain music for free.

Only 50,000 for Discotheque?? I thought it attained gold status, i.e. 500,000 copies.

Back
Top Bottom