u2 18 week 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah...geesh. im assuming the belgian market isnt huge, so thats prolly in the low, single digit thousands.

i always thought belgium was a hot market, or just europe in general, but perhaps they enjoy their electronica more than u2. what is number 1 btw?

It's not that bad..

ATYCLB entered at 29 and HTDAAB at 47.
You'll see a big improvement on next week chart . not sure if it will get to n° 1, but it should easily climb to the top 10.

Nothing to worry about!
As with the last two albums that position is caused by what is called "street violations" (I think) where stores sell the album before it's supposed to be released.
I'm sure it will be number 1 in it's first FULL week of sales, which we won't see for another week.
No.28 would be about 600 copies.

Ireland- oh dear

enters at Number 2 in Ireland- behind Westlife !

Beatles at 3, Oasis at 5

AT least the DVD entered the chart in pole position !

Mike

Tallarico said:
no n.1 in Ireland? Oh my God!

why would you assume they would have a good chance of Irish number one? it's a best of, Westlife's album is brand new, Westlife are probably as big as U2 in album sales here.

Irishteen said:

why would you assume they would have a good chance of Irish number one? it's a best of, Westlife's album is brand new, Westlife are probably as big as U2 in album sales here.

U2 is a slightly stronger album selling artist in Ireland based on a comparision of how well each artist did with the sales of their last albums in Ireland. HTDAAB went 10 times platinum, while West Lifes "face to face" went 8 times platinum in Ireland.

Obviously, U2's 3rd compilation album in 8 years is not going to sell nearly as well as an album of brand new material, and with West Life puting out and album of brand new material with the potential to go 8 times platinum like their last release, it was highly unlikely that a compilation album of songs that most people already have would be able to sell more.

This is a greatest hits album. I don't think one should really be concerned about how well it sells in the first week. Greatest Hits albums are built for longevity, not massive sales in the first weeks of release.

STING2 said:

U2 is a slightly stronger album selling artist in Ireland based on a comparision of how well each artist did with the sales of their last albums in Ireland. HTDAAB went 10 times platinum, while West Lifes "face to face" went 8 times platinum in Ireland.

Obviously, U2's 3rd compilation album in 8 years is not going to sell nearly as well as an album of brand new material, and with West Life puting out and album of brand new material with the potential to go 8 times platinum like their last release, it was highly unlikely that a compilation album of songs that most people already have would be able to sell more.

This is a greatest hits album. I don't think one should really be concerned about how well it sells in the first week. Greatest Hits albums are built for longevity, not massive sales in the first weeks of release.

I didn't actually know the actual figures but thanks for them, and yeah you're right greatest hits are made for longevity not massive early sales

by the way you wouldn't know what James Blunt's album's sales in Ireland were, I heard it out sold HTDAAB

Irishteen said:

I didn't actually know the actual figures but thanks for them, and yeah you're right greatest hits are made for longevity not massive early sales

by the way you wouldn't know what James Blunt's album's sales in Ireland were, I heard it out sold HTDAAB

Yep, its at 11 times platinum.

Australia it is #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Platinum status
I read that it sold over 10,000 copies in its first DAY, and over 100,000 have been shipped out to stores.

Also Vertigo Chicago DVD is at #3 being bumped down by 2 big new releases, BUT it is now at 6x platinum (90,000)
Slane has also been re-certified at 7x platinum (105,000)

I agree. and the fact that both singles are doing well is overall a good result for this GH project.

219662 Westlife
213289 Oasis
173517 Beatles
101083 U2
73681 GEORGE MICHAEL
55150 JAMIROQUAI (6)
54639 GIRLS ALOUD (7)
45991 SUGABABES (8)
40818 RAZORLIGHT (9)
39463 ANGELIS (10)

monai2 said:
219662 Westlife
213289 Oasis
173517 Beatles
101083 U2
73681 GEORGE MICHAEL
55150 JAMIROQUAI (6)
54639 GIRLS ALOUD (7)
45991 SUGABABES (8)
40818 RAZORLIGHT (9)
39463 ANGELIS (10)

So in the Uk around 50 % of sales for HTDAAB - if only this was replicated elsewhere, esp US. I think my earlier estimation of first week global sales of 1m (and number 1) might now be a touch over optimistic.

Given previous sales of U2 albums. incl 1.8m first week sales for HTDAAB (2nd highest ever) - a really `new' U2 album would have been number one here . Indeed I am a big big U2 fan, but I haven't bought this latest release - I have all but 2 tracks already.

Mike

Mike

italian chart

1 1 Laura Pausini Io canto
2 0 Elisa Soundtrack '96-'06
3 0 Renatissimo! Renato Zero
4 0 U2 18 singles
5 0 Nek Nella stanza 26
6 5 Depeche Mode The best of Depeche Mode Vol.1
7 0 Beatles Love
8 4 Gigi D'Alessio Made in Italy
9 3 Adriano Celentano Unicamente Celentano
10 2 George Michael Twenty five

I think another way of looking at the performance of "U218" is that only U2 could release three greatest hits type of albums in 8 years and have all of them chart within the Top 10 worldwide! Now that, to me, is impressive! To have one become a big hit is already impressive - but three?

Good news in New Zealand

U2 18 is #1 and 2xplatinum

Saints up from #5 to #4

DVDs
U2 18 is #1 Gold
Chicago is #5 3xplatinum
Sydney at #8

Australian sales figure - 41,689

this is VERY good, Bomb sold just under 48,000 first week here so U2 18 Singles is clearly doing a hell of a lot better here than anywhere else.
It more than doubled the sales for #2 which was the Beatles

Back
Top Bottom