N.A. Radio Play by Format, Billboard, & Video charts for Week 26

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beLIEve

Refugee
Perhaps the modest increase in U2 radio play is coming out of the Northeast U.S. due to the tour...

Here are some of the first radion play charts for last week...

Several Radio Play Charts have been updated:

Mediabase.com

Hot AC
Sometimes reverses its trend and rises 1 to 16 with a bullet and big increase in plays

Triple A
Sometimes holds steady at #3
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mediaguide.com

AC
Sometimes reverses its trend here, too, and climbs from 48 to 46 w/bullet & 10%+ increase in plays

College Singles
Sometimes jumps from 86 to 64 with a bullet (highest position to date)

Hot AC
Sometimes reverses its fall and climbs one spot to 20 with a bullet
Vertigo climbs 3 spots to 43 with a bullet and big increase in plays

Mainstream Rock
Vertigo climbs one to 36 with a bullet
ABOY holds at 48

Triple A
Sometimes stays solid at #3
Vertigo re-enters Top 50 at #49 w/bullet
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Net Music Countdown

AC
Sometimes down 1 spot to #9

Alternative
Sometimes down 1 spot to #10

Pop/Mainstream
Sometimes debuts at #16

Album sales
Sometimes holds at #7

Billboard 200
Issue Date: June 4, 2005

Pos/Art/Album/tw sales/%change/lw sales/total
73 U2 HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOM 14,861 1 14,303 2,735,037

Other radio charts

Thanks Soldatti! I really thought the album would see a rise on the charts, but at least sales stopped dropping. Right now, U2 has 10 albums in the Top 600 at Amazon.com, but HTDAAB is down to 30. Their back catalog is getting a boost right now, however, likely due to the major markets in the Northeast U.S. playing a lot of U2 on the radio right now and the tour.

COBL shows up on Radio and Records Rock format as "up and coming" while Sometimes continues it's long run on Adult Top 40 and Triple A. Here are the Radio and Records airplay charts updated this evening:

Hot AC
Sometimes is up 1 spot to 16. Sometimes has had a long, consistent run on this format and has been between 15 & 17 consistently for 4 months now.

Triple A
Sometimes stays at 3, and Sometimes has also dominated this format, with an 11 week run at #1 and nearly 4 month stay in the Top 3.

Rock
COBL is at #4 on the "New and most Active" chart.

Canada Radio & Records Update:

Hot AC
Sometimes holds at 4

Rock
Sometimes slips 1 to 11

AC
Sometimes holds at 22

Canadian Top 100 Singles AIRPLAY only charts
Sometimes drops from 4 to 5

Rick Dees Top 40 Hot Adult Mix
Sometimes rises from 16 to 15 on this chart

Even though Sometimes has peaked in the U.S. and now Canada, it's holding on pretty well on certain radio formats. I really think the song is a lock for a few grammy nominations and should win at least one major award. It's good to see COBL show up on the Rock Radio Airplay charts w/o any U.S. release and no video play that I know of yet. If the album doesn't rise next week, though, I'm not sure it can make much of a comeback. The tour kept it going for a while, especially while they were on the West Coast when Sometimes was gaining ground as well. I don't see COBL doing enough to improve album sales, though, and the album could fall big time, as U2 won't be back here until the fall. I do think that U2 will release OOTS or MD to coincide with their return for the 3rd leg, and even with that, I think it will take a landslide of Grammy nominations to really boost the album back up the charts. If they could grab the headlines for the most nominations and get nominated in the major categories, the album could easily return to the Top 50 or higher, even if it's fallen out of the Top 200. I hope the R.O.W. holds Global sales steady during the 2nd leg.

I'll post the MGB Top 40, ARC Top 40, BB charts, and Video charts when they are updated.

Week 26 in the USA comparison between ATYCLB and BOMB:

ATYCLB:

#48 29,000 copies sold TOTAL: 2,423,000

HTDAAB:

#73 14,861 copies sold TOTAL: 2,735,037

I could be wrong about this, but I think that HTDAAB is more likely to make it just over 10 million in sales prior to the 2 year mark and will fall short of the 12 million that ATYCLB sold in roughly that time frame.

I estimate that 8 million copies have been sold to consumers worldwide and that 8.5 million to 9 million copies have been shipped. Some area's of the world like the UK and Ireland have definitely had to re-order the album, while other area's like the United States are still struggling to sellout the initial shipment(which the fastest and largest in U2's history) from Christmas.

There are a few things that could change the fortunes of this album. It is possible that the massive, soldout, 32 date Stadium tour of Europe could generate a signigicant increase in sales for Bomb, but its more likely to just keep things steady. The only song not released from this album that I think could have as much impact as vertigo did now that we have seen how ABOY and Sometimes did, is Miracle Drug. This song could really take off and increase sales. Finally there is the Grammy's and they could help sale several hundred thousand copies of the album, primarily in the USA.

If things stay the same though, the album will probably be at 9 million sold to consumers by December 2005 with about 9.5 million shipped worldwide. Sometime during 2006, the album would cross the 10 million mark, which indeed is a major success even if it falls a little short of ATYCLB. It will be just enough for the album to enter the top 20 of best selling albums for this decade so far.

I think 8 million copies to consumers are too pesimistic. With this week we have sales at mediatraffic of about 7,610,000. With our new knowledge, that mediatraffic in their all-time-charts only consider the known sales but not the estimates (points which are considered in the weekly charts), i think we can say that the real sales much higher. Furthermore the weekly charts are cover about 95% of the world-wide-sales, so the all-time-charts cover only 90% or so. And the sales figures from e.g. soundscan don't include 100% of the country sales.

My estimation is: sales to consumer almost 9 million copies and almost 10 million copies are shipped!

Billboard and other N.A. charts

BB Albums
HTDAAB down 2 spots to 73
B/O 1980's up to 28 on Pop Catalog Chart w/bullet
HTDAAB slides 6 spots to 35 on the Canada Top 50 Albums Chart

BB Adult Top 40
Sometimes rises 2 spots to 15 w/bullet

BB Canadian Singles (Sales Only)
Sometimes at 4
ABOY at 5
Vertigo Max at 11
Vertigo Single at 15
Sometimes import at 19

ARC Weekly Top 40
Sometims slips from 32 to 34

Video charts just updated

Sometimes still holding on at VH1 at #19
Sometimes jumps to #1 on Much More Music
Sometimes holds at #7 on Much Music
Sometimes holds at #10 on MTV

Regardless of what you think of videos, Sometimes has had a very good run, and perhaps U2 can add to their grammy collection with another video award.

Back
Top Bottom