How many albums have u2 sold?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the same reason my brother tells me all this stuff about how metallica rocks.. to prove that metallica could still rock like they once did, sell lots of albums and be in that dubious list of THE BIGGEST BANDS IN THE WORLD. its all in vain though..

why, oh why :huh:

BigMacPhisto said:
Metallica's last flawless effort was Master of Puppets in the eighties.......they're still a great live act, but their recent efforts are abysmal. Metfield, can you please explain why you post here at all?

because i like u2.and metallica released 5 classic albums in a row

load and reload great.metallica ruled the world and mtv with these awesome heavy rock albums

st anger is their therapy album.it is raw and angry.uncomercial production in rock history

all_i_want said:
well may i say thats cause metallica's catalog is better than anything else they will release in the future. they will never top those albums, while U2 still has that 3rd career defining masterpiece in them. linkin park is not really metal, and neither is evanesance.

btw, it seems pretty impossible to me that st. anger DEBUTED at no1 in 30 countries. itd surely sell more than 4 million worldwide if that was the case. where did you get that statistic from?

go to www.somekindofmonster.com and>about metallica>stats

st anger sold 7 million to date.it sold 4.5 million copies last year

metallica sold 12 million concert tickets in the last 10 years(only america)

well in the address you gave it says st. anger sold 4.5 to date? but really, metallica's s. sanitarium couldnt sell out a lot of dates despite having acts like linkin park and limp bizkit on board. id say 12 m includes lots of festivals, which also include loads of acts. i am pretty sure U2 have played to more people if you dont consider festivals (i.e rock am ring, germany) and multi-headlining shows. also, if metallica is the biggest act in the world, why dont we ever hear from them anymore? chart appearences of their singles arent very impressive, if they appear at all (except germany, for some reason). On the other hand U2 still have massive hits (i.e. vertigo).

all_i_want said:
the same reason my brother tells me all this stuff about how metallica rocks.. to prove that metallica could still rock like they once did, sell lots of albums and be in that dubious list of THE BIGGEST BANDS IN THE WORLD. its all in vain though..

why, oh why :huh:

go buy live shit-s&m-cunning stunts- a year and a hald dvds

all_i_want said:
well in the address you gave it says st. anger sold 4.5 to date? but really, metallica's s. sanitarium couldnt sell out a lot of dates despite having acts like linkin park and limp bizkit on board. id say 12 m includes lots of festivals, which also include loads of acts. i am pretty sure U2 have played to more people if you dont consider festivals (i.e rock am ring, germany) and multi-headlining shows. also, if metallica is the biggest act in the world, why dont we ever hear from them anymore? chart appearences of their singles arent very impressive, if they appear at all (except germany, for some reason). On the other hand U2 still have massive hits (i.e. vertigo).

metallica played avarage 35,000 people in summer sanitarium 2003 tour.metallica and their fans dont care opening bands.linkin park and bizkit needs metallica.because metallica sold millions of albums every year in us of their older albums

they played everywhere in the world in posibily.
they destroyed rock am ring festival for exp
http://uwe.wiedleroither.bei.t-online.de/RaR Metallica3.jpg
http://www.skinnywhitekid.com/images/Gillette Stadium.jpg summer sanitarium is metallica sproduction and tour.metallicas least selling album sold 2.3 million in us.metallicas have fan base every country in the world.in metallica officael board there are fans from india,sudi arabistan,indonesia,russia,chinai,colombia

metallica changed the face of human and music history.they didnt go mainstream came to them.they made heavy metal number one every country.they outsold and grossed more money than pop stars.they are richer than madonna-u2-britney spears

they toured non stop worldwide.they played more fans than u2

in zootv and popmart tour they only played few countries and cities.they sold out same staidums over and over again.

in fact more people saw metallicas performance than u2 worldwide.u2 ticket prices so high because they dont care their fans.

metallica played 18 month tour for st anger.they played avarage 2.5 hours

sorry metfield but the link YOU provided states: 90 million album as a total (u2 is about 120-125 million before HTDAAB)...and 4.5 million TOTAL for st. anger (ATYCLB sold about 11-12 million)
Don't misunderstand me: great results...but no way bigger than U2

Dima said:
sorry metfield but the link YOU provided states: 90 million album as a total (u2 is about 120-125 million before HTDAAB)...and 4.5 million TOTAL for st. anger (ATYCLB sold about 11-12 million)
Don't misunderstand me: great results...but no way bigger than U2

in the late 2003 elektra updated metallica sales up to 50>57 million

metallica sold 100 million albums worldwide.in 2005 their back catalog sales and st anger will update.

before 91 metallica sold 10 million albums.betweeen 91-2005 they sold 90 million albums.and dont forget they only released 6 albums after 91

u2 sold 120 million records include 15 albums.this is nothin for metallica.u2 is older than metallica.they will retire soon

and metallica dont have best of records like u2.metallica will never release best of records because they sold millions of albums of thier legandary back catalog albums

all_i_want said:

http://www.forbes.com/maserati/cele...ListType=Person&uniqueId=G7PT&datatype=Person

METFIELD said:

u2 sold 120 million records include 15 albums.this is nothin for metallica.u2 is older than metallica.they will retire soon

and metallica dont have best of records like u2.metallica will never release best of records because they sold millions of albums of thier legandary back catalog albums

There are four major errors in your writing that now question the validity of everything you've written.

First, selling 120 million albums worldwide is not "nothing". It is monstrous. For you to dismiss it so readily is fool-hardy and shows how little you know about music sales.

Second, Metallica has yet to sell this amount. Therefore, it is SOMETHING to them. You may contend that Metallica will eventually sell 120M copies worldwide, but it's not as if U2 will stop selling - they too will continue to sell. HTDAAB is already selling a ton and that will give a boost to all the other U2 albums. But even if Metallica one day surpass U2, it's not as if U2 are some "one-hit wonders".

Third, your statement that "U2 is older than Metallica and will retire soon" is about as bogus as anything you've written. There are 4 members of Metallica, just like U2. Bono and Adam were born in 1960, The Edge and Larry in 1961. Kirk, from Metallica was born in 1962. James and Lars were born in 1963. Robert was born in 1964. So this "older" you speak of, while technically true, is virtually negligent. After all, I'd hardly call a few years difference in age (in some cases, less than a year) significant. Furthermore, who is more likely to retire - a rock band like U2 or a heavy metal act? Artists like Dylan, McCarthy, the Stones, Springsteen, etc., have proven that popular rock stars can go one well past 40 and into their 60's. In contrast, how many heavy metal artists are around in their 50's or 60's? In other words, Metallica is far closer to retiring. And the fact that you considered U2 so much "older" suggests you know either very little about U2, Metallica or both.

Lastly, while Metallica haven't released "Best Of" albums, per se, they have released double live albums with no real new material - and those have added significantly to their total album sales.

In other words, all your arguments have been proven false. Statistically, we have shown again and again that U2 is stronger than Metallica in overall sales. We have shown that U2's tours are stronger.

None of us have stated that Metallica is a poor seller - we readily acknowledge Metallica for the power-house they are. I've stated several times how strong their catalog sales are. In other words, we have complimented Metallica's sales - but we are merely pointing out that U2 are as strong if not stronger. In contrast, you have done all you can to dismiss - WITHOUT MERIT - any U2 claims. When we point out facts, you make up numbers for Metallica, even though websites don't support your statements. You are unwilling to discuss U2's success at all - rather, you just insult them while praising Metallica. You act as if U2 have had one big album. In contrast they've had at least 5 ("War", JT, R&H, AB and ATYLCB) and are now working on a 6th. Even U2's "poor" selling albums have sold over 7M copies worldwide! If you must praise Metallica, at least give U2 their proper credit.

However, based on your lack of knowledge of U2 and Metallica, I doubt you care. It seems you are here just to cause problems.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom