Highest Selling Album Of 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b_digg

The Fly
Just heard on the radio the highest selling album worldwide for 08 was Viva La Vida with 6.8 million sold. Not great numbers for albums anymore this is less than pop!

Thought this might deserve its own thread, do we think NLOTH can match or beat this? I have my doubts with the way Boots is going. I love the song but I'm afraid we may have a dud single. It spent one week in the charts here in Australia and I havent heard it on the radio once which is terrible for U2's track record with sales/airplay; I hope the album does not follow suite.

Well i dont think coldplays first single really set the world alight did it?,

i really dont get this "worrying" mentality, we are just over a week away from hearing the album!! stop worrying and just enjoy it, the anticipation for the actual album seems pretty huge at the moment, and the promo work is really about to kick in.

True, very true we alll take pride in the fact that the band can set the world aflame at their age, I just hope this album is not the begining of the end....

How many did Kings of Leon sell? as i know for a fact they out sold Coldplay here in UK

How many did Kings of Leon sell? as i know for a fact they out sold Coldplay here in UK

Really?

Anyway, back to topic, while its hard to sell entire albums in this day and age U2 is still a force to be reckoned with. If HTDAAB can sell 9 million a few years think a more critically praised U2 album than the Bomb (especially if they get other singles to hit) NLOTH can come close to that.

Viva La Vida will have a long tail IMO. With Prospekt's March and another leg of touring I think they should be able to rack up another few million. And don't count them out of getting selected to do the Super Bowl halftime next year, which would be another boost.

To me VLV is more of a grower of an album than X&Y was so it will take some time.

Really?

Anyway, back to topic, while its hard to sell entire albums in this day and age U2 is still a force to be reckoned with. If HTDAAB can sell 9 million a few years think a more critically praised U2 album than the Bomb (especially if they get other singles to hit) NLOTH can come close to that.

Yes KOL sold 1.1million in the UK from Sept to Dec and i think Coldplay were under the 1 mill mark

does anyone have VLV's first week sales in UK / US / Global?
we can then compare directly with NLOTH in a few weeks.

does anyone have VLV's first week sales in UK / US / Global?
we can then compare directly with NLOTH in a few weeks.

U.K.: First day - 125,000 // First three days - 302,074 // First ten days - 500,000
U.S.: First week - 720,000

It wont match the VLV UK sales, its gonna be close in US though.
i find VLV's total uk sales surprisingly low considering first week sales and all the hype theve had.

Back
Top Bottom