Grammy Predictions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
STING2 said:

I think the songs you listed, SYCMIOYO, Walk On, and Beautiful Day are the only songs U2 have performed at the Grammy awards.

Don't forget Numb. Not full band, but it counts, doesn't it?

biff said:

Don't forget Numb. Not full band, but it counts, doesn't it?

I remember the Edge performing that at the MTV awards, but not the Grammy's.

Oops, sorry. All those awards show blur together in my brain.
Though in retrospect, that performance would have been a bit too weird for the stodgy old Grammys.

in 7 december we will know the grammies nominations....and (for me) we will know if bomb can rise in bb top 200 chart!I think that only a good result from grammy awards can help the album.....and it's sad....

I'm sure U2 will end up performing at the awards if possible........."Original Of The Species" seems likely.......

i think they asked U2 to perform but they denied
and yes 'One' should have been nominated and should have won the record of the year, song, best rock song, best.....the tune should have been a multiple winner, and so AB. That album of the year loss hurt me so fucking much you don't even now
i remember when eric clapton's unplugged was anounced as the winner... i was so fucking angry:angry:
i could not believe it, what a fucking stole was it!!
AB was the greatest album in the history of music, and only winning best rock performance wasn't enough!:yell:

Grammy nominations should be announced tomorrow morning.

**MEDIA ALERT FOR THURSDAY, DEC. 8, 2005***

INTERNATIONAL MUSIC SUPERSTARS TO ANNOUNCE NOMINATIONS
ON DEC. 8 IN NEW YORK CITY FOR
48TH ANNUAL GRAMMY® AWARDS

John Legend, Big & Rich, Patti LaBelle, Natasha Bedingfield,
Nickelback’s Chad Kroeger, and CeCe Winans First Slate of
Announcers Kicking Off 48th Annual GRAMMY Awards Season

WHO:
The Recording Academy®, along with GRAMMY® winners Patti LaBelle and CeCe Winans, past GRAMMY nominees Big & Rich and Nickelback’s Chad Kroeger, as well as multitalented newcomers Natasha Bedingfield and John Legend.

WHAT: Announcement of nominations for the 48th Annual GRAMMY Awards.

GRAMMY season officially kicks off coast-to-coast with the nominations announcement in the Big Apple on Dec. 8, 2005. The 48th GRAMMY Awards will take center stage in Los Angeles on Feb. 8, 2006, on CBS.

WHEN: Thursday, Dec. 8, 2005
8 a.m. ET

WHERE: Gotham Hall
1356 Broadway (36th Street)
New York, NY 10018

INFO: MEDIA MUST RSVP: 212.445.8364

Today is the day....i think that for increase the sells of the album in Usa the ONLY possibility is to have a lot of nominations (and then to win a lot of grammies...).....GO U2 GO!!!!!!!!:rockon:

and 'sometimes' for song of the year!

& 'sometimes' for best rock performance with vocal

best rock song for COBL

Best rock album

go U2! sales should be up for a few weeks, hopefully bomb will be in the 200 till Feb.

cant believe McCartney is nominated for album of the year, what a joke. coldplay (though i find them very overated) should have been nominated. and surprised at kanye wests nomination, would have thought Eminem and 50 Cent would have had more chance.

phanan said:
As I said in the other thread, the ironic thing is that I think U2 has a better shot at Album Of The Year than they do for Best Rock Album.

Go figure.

Not likely since, it takes a significant larger number of votes to get an album of the year nomination than it does to get simply a rock album nomination. Typically, a song or album nominated in the BIG 3 catagories always will dominate in any of the smaller catagories they are nominated in.

Kanye West is probably the reason U2 will win Album of the year.

Coming into the awards, its clear that Mariah Carey has the strongest base of votes. She was nominated in all 3 of the major catagories and has a total of 8 nominations. But, having the biggest base coming into the voting will not alone win you the award. Who your going up against how the competition may draw votes away from you or split other artist votes up benefiting you is often how an artist wins.

Notice that the only rock album nominated for "Album of the Year" is HTDAAB. Stafanni, West, and Carey, while they are grouped as POP, Rap, and R&B essentially draw from the same voter base in terms of style and preference for certain types of music. All three do well with the top 40 crowd. It is likely they will split key votes between them.

If a another "POP" artist or country artist had been nominated, U2 would win hands down. U2's main problem is Paul McCartney and how is nomination may draw people who would have voted for U2 away.

I think it will be close, but HTDAAB will probably come out on top simply because the whole Rock/Hard Rock/Metal vote will be for them. Virtually all of Coldplay's supporters will be voting for U2.

So I say HTDAAB will win! But if it doesn't, it will be because of Paul McCartney's album drawing to many votes away from them.

In the Song of the Year catagory, Mariah Carey will probably win, because the rock vote will definitely be split with Springsteen and U2.

Record of the year will go to Green Day because to many of the top 40 artist are nominated together and Green Day is really the lone rock artist in that catagory.

I predict U2 will sweep the three rock awards it is nominated for. To be nominated for the major awards, you have to have a strong voting base so U2 will probably easily sweep the rock awards.

So U2 should come away with four awards on the night including album of the year!

ybird3k said:

cant believe McCartney is nominated for album of the year, what a joke. coldplay (though i find them very overated) should have been nominated. and surprised at kanye wests nomination, would have thought Eminem and 50 Cent would have had more chance.

Have you actually heard McCartney's new album?

great post Sting2!!, lets hope ur right bout the album of the year.

and no i havent heard the new McShiteny album, how could it possibly be good, i dont even like the Beatles.

STING2 said:
Kanye West is probably the reason U2 will win Album of the year.

Coming into the awards, its clear that Mariah Carey has the strongest base of votes. She was nominated in all 3 of the major catagories and has a total of 8 nominations. But, having the biggest base coming into the voting will not alone win you the award. Who your going up against how the competition may draw votes away from you or split other artist votes up benefiting you is often how an artist wins.

Notice that the only rock album nominated for "Album of the Year" is HTDAAB. Stafanni, West, and Carey, while they are grouped as POP, Rap, and R&B essentially draw from the same voter base in terms of style and preference for certain types of music. All three do well with the top 40 crowd. It is likely they will split key votes between them.

If a another "POP" artist or country artist had been nominated, U2 would win hands down. U2's main problem is Paul McCartney and how is nomination may draw people who would have voted for U2 away.

I think it will be close, but HTDAAB will probably come out on top simply because the whole Rock/Hard Rock/Metal vote will be for them. Virtually all of Coldplay's supporters will be voting for U2.

So I say HTDAAB will win! But if it doesn't, it will be because of Paul McCartney's album drawing to many votes away from them.

In the Song of the Year catagory, Mariah Carey will probably win, because the rock vote will definitely be split with Springsteen and U2.

Record of the year will go to Green Day because to many of the top 40 artist are nominated together and Green Day is really the lone rock artist in that catagory.

I predict U2 will sweep the three rock awards it is nominated for. To be nominated for the major awards, you have to have a strong voting base so U2 will probably easily sweep the rock awards.

So U2 should come away with four awards on the night including album of the year!

What you say makes sense, but most times it doesn't go that way. Back in 2003, Outkast won Album Of The Year despite being up against Justin Timberlake and Missy Elliott, who would be grouped in the same Pop/Rap/R&B Top 40 field. The White Stripes and Evanescence were the two rock acts up for it that year. Using your theory of similar artists splitting votes, Evanescence or The White Stripes would have won that year instead.

It's the same situation this year - three Top 40 acts against two rock acts. I don't think the splitting of votes will be a factor. Expect Kayne West or U2 to win this award.

Knowing the past history of the Grammy Awards, they tend to be very unpredictable in how they come up with the winners. It's never black and white, and I anticipate similar scenarios happening this time around as well.

Last edited:
STING2 said:

Not likely since, it takes a significant larger number of votes to get an album of the year nomination than it does to get simply a rock album nomination. Typically, a song or album nominated in the BIG 3 catagories always will dominate in any of the smaller catagories they are nominated in.

That's why I said ironic. Coldplay was snubbed for Album Of The Year, and I think it gives U2 a better shot at winning it, but Coldplay might beat them for Best Rock Album if U2 already gets a lot of votes for Album Of The Year.

Usually it doesn't happen that way, but this year could be an exception.

STING2 said:

Recent history has shown that the Academy has given the Song Of The Year award to a song that wasn't a major Top 40 hit, and I think this trend will continue. I see Springsteen and U2 as the favorites, and it's really a toss-up as to which one will win it. I'll go with Bruce since he was snubbed a few years back for the major awards.

As for Record Of The Year, generally it has been a song that was also a commercial success. Mariah Carey's "We Belong Together" was the biggest song of the year, and I predict she'll take this, although Kayne West could possibly as well.

I like U2 for the Rock categories although, as I stated before, I wouldn't be surprised if Coldplay snuck away with Best Rock Album.

phanan said:

What you say makes sense, but most times it doesn't go that way. Back in 2003, Outkast won Album Of The Year despite being up against Justin Timberlake and Missy Elliott, who would be grouped in the same Pop/Rap/R&B Top 40 field. The White Stripes and Evanescence were the two rock acts up for it that year. Using your theory of similar artists splitting votes, Evanescence or The White Stripes would have won that year instead.

It's the same situation this year - three Top 40 acts against two rock acts. I don't think the splitting of votes will be a factor. Expect Kayne West or U2 to win this award.

Knowing the past history of the Grammy Awards, they tend to be very unpredictable in how they come up with the winners. It's never black and white, and I anticipate similar scenarios happening this time around as well.

Good points! But I would say U2 is in a far different position than Evanescence and The White Stripes. Both of those rock acts were brand new(at least in terms of being well known), and typically veteran acts when at the Grammy's.

A lot of things are unpredictable, but it often goes unnotice how split votes can influence things and also the importance of time and experience to grammy voters. I can't remember who was nominated the year Steely Dan won the album of the year award a few years ago, but I assure you they were not the favorites and its likely that a split in votes allowed them to win.

Back
Top Bottom