First sales numbers for HTDAAB in UK!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soldatti

Acrobat
Tuesday midweeks (4 days sales)
Top 3 and new entries:

1 U2 92.700k
2 Eminem 32.500k
3 Kylie Minogue 29.700k

10 Gwen Stefany
20 Delta
36 Snizzle Dizzle
42 Aled
45 Nirvana 6.000k
47 the 411
56 Michael Crawford
63 Jacko 4000k
70 Bon Jovi 3.500k

2 more days of sales, the album will sell close to 150k at the end, maybe a little more.

What does a normal BIG release sell there in the first week. Like in the U.S. there's the all powerful Million mark for the first week. What's the big number there? 150k? 200k?

Acrobat_Al said:
I think that Oasis' Be Here Now sold 700,000 k in the UK in the first week

That's impossible to beat.
A BIG seller album is selling 150k during his first week, then 90,000 copies in the second and a little less in the third.

I don't have numbers for ATYCLB, but sold less than 150,000 copies the first week, that's sure.

In the UK Tues Midweeks is 2 days of sales. Doesnt the chart closes on Sat night or Sunday at 3pm or something like that?

New CD's go on sale on a Monday there so those numbers are after 2 days sales.

Acrobat_Al said:
I think that Oasis' Be Here Now sold 700,000 k in the UK in the first week

impossible to beat...Be Here Now came after a record that sold almost 4 millions copies in UK alone (WTSMG is uk's top selling album of all times as far as i know). No way another album could benefit of such a hype...at least in this century :)

does someone know how many copies Eminem sold in its first week? ...i find 32k copies in the middle of its 3rd week is a stunning performance...

Last edited:
Those numbers are after 2 days sales and not 4.

POP, 1980-1990 and ATYCLB all sold approx 145-165K in their first week in the UK. Zooropa sold 200K in its first week. Look for the new one to do something in between.

The best selling album in the UK is actually BAD by Michael Jackson with over 4.1 million sold there. Its the only major market where Bad outsold Thriller. The Whats the Story is pretty close to it though and will eventually catch it.......

Eminem sold 270K in its first 2 weeks in the UK....

Last edited:
womanfish said:
I assume that What's the Story must have surpassed both JT and R&H though.

i don't think so in terms of being the fastest selling record...no doubt about number of copies sold so far: WTSMG alone sold more than JT+R&H

victor_f said:
U2's Joshua Tree has the record of 148k in 48 hours, right:?

Joshua Tree sold over 300,000 copies in its first week in the UK and some say it hit that mark after only 48 hours. By December of 1987, Joshua Tree had sold 1,200,000 copies in the United Kingdom.

More impressive is a small country like Canada where the Joshua Tree passed the 1 million mark at the beginning of October 1987. The album had only be out in stores for 6.5 months at that point.

On a per capita basis, Canadians had bought 3 times as many copies of the Joshua Tree as Americans by October 1987.

Daveone said:

I think Rattle and Hum beat that and went on to become the fastest selling album in UK chart history (at the time). Then again i may be wrong.

That's correct, Rattle and Hum was the fastest selling album in UK History at the time but that record is now with Oasis.

UK Friday mids:
1 U2 115.800k
2 Eminem 44.300k
3 Robbie Williams 34.900k

High sales for this Saturday are expected...

Soldatti said:
UK Friday mids:
1 U2 115.800k
2 Eminem 44.300k
3 Robbie Williams 34.900k

High sales for this Saturday are expected...

thanks for this, and yes today should be a big day for sales in the UK. Where do you get your figures from ?

Mike

STING2 said:

On a per capita basis, Canadians had bought 3 times as many copies of the Joshua Tree as Americans by October 1987.

I remember reading somewhere that Canada has the highest number of U2 albums sold, per capita, in the world. Yay for us!

oceane said:

I remember reading somewhere that Canada has the highest number of U2 albums sold, per capita, in the world. Yay for us!

I actually think its Ireland though as the new album has already shipped 5 times platinum in Ireland and I'm sure that is more than any other country on the planet per capita.

oasis be here now sold 325,000 in first week! not 700,000 as was quoted!

make that 235,000 for the week then biggest first weeks sales since joshua tree!

oceane said:

Yes, I believe that is true outside of Ireland.

We have to remember though.....

Be Here Now was a HUGE disappointment. How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is quite good. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom