Can 1st week sales of new Coldplay album (X&Y) match those of HTDAAB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tallarico said:
740 000 in final....100 000 less than the bomb!

This is still unbelievable.

I had hoped White Stripes would break 200,000, but oh well.

Precisely, mediatraffic only covers 95% of worldwide sales so that figures turns into nearly 1,950.000. I guess it doesn´t include first week sales in Japan either (the week before the worldwide release).
So 2 million copies for first week sales seems a good estimate.

Tallarico said:
on mediatraffic:

U2 - HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB 1.854.000 COPIES (50/2004)

fedeu2 said:
The reason? Just one word: HYPE

People always conveniently use that word whenever it goes against their own tastes, which must be superior of course. If anything, U2 would have been perceived as having more hype.

I can't believe that they sold another 50,000 copies from the first two albums, they almost sold 800,000 albums last week!

fedeu2 said:
Precisely, mediatraffic only covers 95% of worldwide sales so that figures turns into nearly 1,950.000. I guess it doesn´t include first week sales in Japan either (the week before the worldwide release).

Japan sales were inclused.But I think that 2 milion copies is quite right!

Tallarico said:

Japan sales were inclused.But I think that 2 milion copies is quite right!

i think japans 1st week sales were included in the week before, when bomb entered mediatrafic at #40.

ybird3k said:

i think japans 1st week sales were included in the week before, when bomb entered mediatrafic at #40.

yes...it is so...sorry....

but bomb entered in wc at #39 with japan sales!

Don´t get me wrong, I like Coldplay (and Oasis for that matter). I just think both of them are too overrated though.

You´re right, advertising is everything nowadays. If it hadn´t been for that ipod commercial, first week sales for the bomb wouldn´t have surpassed the half million mark in the US.

Now, it is my understanding X&Y has been one of the most advertised albums ever. It is clear Martin and ca. are doing their best to replace U2 as the biggest band on earth.

I´ve seen this before with Oasis and Radiohead, back in the 1994-2000 period but we all know that, for different reasons, both bands failed at the task.
Will Coldplay succeed? I say no way, but let´s just wait and see.

bsp77 said:

People always conveniently use that word whenever it goes against their own tastes, which must be superior of course. If anything, U2 would have been perceived as having more hype.

i know X&Y was hyped up a huge amount in the Uk but i didnt know it was in the US, and didnt expect it to get such big first week sales.
also bomb wouldnt as sold so much in its first week if it hadnt had been for the brooklyn bridge show.
coldplay didnt do anything like that and speed of sound was not as big a hit as vertigo, yet they still sold almost as many copies as U2 did in their 1st week.

fedeu2 said:

Now, it is my understanding X&Y has been one of the most advertised albums ever. It is clear Martin and ca. are doing their best to replace U2 as the biggest band on earth.

I´ve seen this before with Oasis and Radiohead, back in the 1994-2000 period but we all know that, for different reasons, both bands failed at the task.

chris martin is obsessed with tryin to be bigger than U2, all he ever talks about in interviews.

what were the reasons for oasis and radiohead failing to become bigger than U2? U2 werent as big in the 94-00 period as they are now either.

Last edited:
fedeu2 said:

I agree. Part of me would like Coldplay to take over for U2, just because I can't think of anyone else up to it. However, Coldplay needs to just be cooler. Until then, I would rather U2 hold the crown.

Sorry if I was excessively sarcastic before, I do it to amuse myself. :wink:

ybird3k said:

what were the reasons for oasis and radiohead failing to become bigger than U2? U2 werent as big in the 94-00 period as they are now either.

Oasis went too far with the overblown Be Here Now and pissed people off (something that could happen to Coldplay's X&Y).

Radiohead purposely walked away from the chance by releasing Kid A.

Exactly bsp77!

I couldn´t have "said" it better.

As you put it, the case of Coldplay is more similar to Oasis than Radiohead. That is, if they fail to overthrone U2 that would be because of their incapacity only. On the contrary, only Yorke and colleagues know why on earth Radiohead sort of auto-excluded from the competition. Back in 1997, it was the best scenario to K.O. U2! The boys were at one of their lowest points in popularity (at least in the US), Pop bombed in the US and was almost deemed a commercial failure worldwide (in spite of selling almost 6 million copies in just a year) and the Popmart tour, although I loved it, didn´t live up to the expectations. At the same time, Radiohead released Ok computer, one of the best albums in the 90´s (though I like The bends better!), won grammy of the year and were extremely popular, including the US. On top of that, they´re an incredibly great live act, something that cannot be said about Oasis or Coldplay.
Then, two and a half years later, they released Kid A ....
I liked the album a lot, granted, not as much as ATYCLB, but noone can deny it´s, er, different. Not exactly the kind of record to place them at the summit of rock and roll. They continued along the same path with Amnesiac and to a lesser degree, Hail to the Thief.

Eitherway, all of this is very fun. I don´t think anyone can beat U2 out of the top until they retire but you´re right, if there´s any band capable of that, its called Coldplay.

bsp77 said:

Oasis went too far with the overblown Be Here Now and pissed people off (something that could happen to Coldplay's X&Y).

Radiohead purposely walked away from the chance by releasing Kid A.

Oasis at their best with Definately Maybe and Morning Glory, were MUCH better than coldplay will ever be.

Be Here Now is also very good IMO.
it had massive first week sales in the Uk but was still seen as being a bit of a failure.
same 'could' happen to X&Y, but i doubt it

Last edited:
Worldwide sales for Be here now are about 8 million, right?
Not too shabby.
I disagree in that it´s a great record though. It has a couple of great tunes but too similar to the first two albums in my eyes.
After that, everything went downhill for Oasis, proving once again that staying at the top is the hardest thing.

ybird3k said:
Oasis at their best with Definately Maybe and Morning Glory, were MUCH better than coldplay will ever be.

Be Here Now is also very good IMO.
it had massive first week sales in the Uk but was still seen as being a bit of a failure.
same 'could' happen to X&Y, but i doubt it

Some bands and people still thinks good music (radiohead) is more important that money, money, money... (U2)

mosquito said:
Some bands and people still thinks good music (radiohead) is more important that money, money, money... (U2)

some people would say that money, money, money is a result of making good music.

fedeu2 said:
Worldwide sales for Be here now are about 8 million, right?
Not too shabby.
I disagree in that it´s a great record though. It has a couple of great tunes but too similar to the first two albums in my eyes.
After that, everything went downhill for Oasis, proving once again that staying at the top is the hardest thing.

ye your right, Be Here Now is too similar to Oasis' first two albums IMO also.
same can be said about Coldplays X&Y.

and staying at the top is definately the hardest thing to do.

If you don´t like U2, why are you still here?

As for good music, I agree that Radiohead makes great music. Can´t say the same for Oasis (at least since 1999) and Coldplay (ever).

Do you think U2 is still in the business for the money?
If so, I guess you haven´t read any interviews with the band as of late.
The main reason U2 still exist as a band is because they want to continue being the greatest band in the world, and possibly, be remembered as the second greatest band in the history of rock, right behind the Beatles. That´s why they keep making incredibly great music and being relevant. Vertigo sounds as fresh as I will follow back in 1980. I can´t think of any other band that have stayed fresh and relevant for over 25 years.

Compare U2 to the Rolling Stones whose last 5 albums have been an excuse to go on tour and make a hell of a lot of money. Having ceased being relevant for over two decades now, that´s the only thing they can do.

Finally, if money and fame are not important, why are you so thrilled about Coldplay having sold nearly as much as U2 with their new album?

mosquito said:

Yeah, I remember when I first heard Be here now, I thought it was a great album, but then, it slowly started to sound not so good. Eitherway, I would give it 3 starts out of 5, that is, a good record overall.
You see, what happened to Oasis (and maybe now to Coldplay) is they started out with great albums which they were unable to top. On the contrary, as much as I love Boy or October, they cannot hold a candle with most of U2 subsequent albums (not only their masterpieces). And that´s the logic evolution a band should follow, in my opinion.

ybird3k said:

ye your right, Be Here Now is too similar to Oasis' first two albums IMO also.
same can be said about Coldplays X&Y.

and staying at the top is definately the hardest thing to do.

fedeu2 said:
[B
Do you think U2 is still in the business for the money?

[/B]
Absolutely.They have been,probably,the biggest band in the world since 1987. Their music will never reach the standards of the 80`s and 90´s . I think that U2 since the failure of POP is not the same original and experimental band and have turned in a conservative band.

mosquito said:

Absolutely.They have been,probably,the biggest band in the world since 1987. Their music will never reach the standards of the 80`s and 90´s . I think that U2 since the failure of POP is not the same original and experimental band and have turned in a conservative band.

Then go to another forum, and let us in peace, you are acting like a troll.

If you don`t like U2 anymore , what are you doing here , bugging us ?

fedeu2 said:

Bomb sold 84K in Japan the week before ROW for # 39 debut on Mediatraffic chart. So, really, total 1st week sales were around 2,034,000.

I think X&Y actually sold 32K in Japan last week not the 34K I earlier reported. Anyway, I think it will now do 1,950,000 at Mediatraffic (incl. last weeks Japan figure & 5% extra sales).

ps - I can't believe how far out everyone has been (incl. myself!).

mosquito said:

O.K., this is arguably troll like behavior.

First, I have heard all of maybe ONE good Radiohead song (most over-rated band ever, IMO) and given all that Bono has done with his "money, money, money", I think your comment is ridiculously out of line.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to be at the "top of your game". In the music world, that means producing good music (and *anything* U2 has done is better than Radiohead), selling albums, having well-received tours and possibly winning awards. U2 is accomplishing all of this.

If you disagree, I highly recommend that you go to the websites of bands you like as opposed to making banal comments on here.

It's very simple:

The strength of u2 is that they (after 25 years !!!) are still on top! They have had some weaknesses with pop and popmart (not in my opinion) but now they are hot again! That's why they are the biggest band, accept the weaknesses. I don't know why there is so f#cking much discussing about that coldplay is bigger. Maybe in 25 years when they have released 12 albums and done huge tours all over the world and have had different styles in their music and are still great.

I like coldplay, it's a good band. The new album is also very strong, not so good as AROBTTH. But c'mon, this is their 3rd (!!!!) album, then they can't be the biggest.

I'm also huge oasis fan. I think it's funny that they think they are the biggest band in the world. I think at the time SOTSOG came out, that was the point it went worse and worse but the new album is very good.

But no way coldplay is bigger. We'll see in the future but I think coldplay can't 'change' styles so their music will always be a bit the same.

Well much has been said about Coldplay's album sales, almost nothing has been discussed about Coldplay's concert ticket sales.

Lets start off with the USA tour. The price range in the USA for this ampitheater tour can be up to $70 or a little more inside the Pavillion, but only around $25 to $35 for a lawn seat. Lawn seats make up the majority of the seats in these venues that have capacities on average for around 20,000 to 25,000 people. With this in mind, lets see which shows have sold out or not soldout.

Air Canada Centre SOLDOUT
Toronto, ON

Montreal, QC Bell Centre SOLDOUT

Ctnow.com Meadows Music Theater
Hartford, CT Lawn seats available

Tweeter Center for the Performing Arts
Mansfield, MA SOLDOUT

Tweeter Center At the Waterfront
Camden, NJ Lawn seats available

Riverbend Music Center
Cincinnati, OH Lawn seats available

Post Gazette Pavilion At Star Lake
Pittsburgh, PA Pavilion and Lawn seats
available

Verizon Wireless Music Center
Noblesville, IN Lawn seats available

Alpine Valley Music Theatre
East Troy, WI Lawn seats available

White River Amphitheatre
Auburn, WA Pavilion and Lawn seats
available

Clark County Amphitheater
Ridgefield, WA Pavilion and Lawn seats
available

Shoreline Amphitheatre
Mountain View, CA Lawn seats available

Irvine Meadows / Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
Irvine, CA SOLDOUT

Irvine Meadows / Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
Irvine, CA 2nd show SOLDOUT

Journal Pavilion
Albuquerque, NM Lawn seats available

Cricket Pavilion
Phoenix, AZ Lawn seats available

Coors Amphitheatre
Chula Vista, CA Lawn seats available

DTE Energy Music Theatre
Clarkston, MI Lawn seats available

Germain Amphitheater
Columbus, OH Pavilion seats and Lawn
seats available

Darien Lake Performing Arts Center
Darien Center, NY Lawn seats available

PNC Bank Arts Center
Holmdel, NJ SOLDOUT

Madison Square Garden
New York, NY 1st show SOLDOUT

Madison Square Garden
New York, NY 2nd show SOLDOUT

Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
Charlotte, NC Pavilion and Lawn seats
available

Alltel Pavilion At Walnut Creek
Raleigh, NC Lawn seats available

Sound Advice Amphitheatre
West Palm Beach, FL Lawn seats available

Ford Amphitheatre At the Florida State Fairgrounds
Tampa, FL Pavilion and Lawn seats
available

Verizon Wireless Music Center
Birmingham, AL Pavilion and Lawn seats
available

UMB Bank Pavilion
Maryland Heights, MO Pavilion and Lawn seats
available

Starwood Amphitheatre
Nashville, TN Lawn seats available

Target Center
Minneapolis, MN Pavilion and Lawn seats
available

Verizon Wireless Amphitheater KC
Bonner Springs, KS Pavilion and Lawn seats
available

Smirnoff Music Centre
Dallas, TX Lawn seats available

Woodlands Pavilion
Woodlands, TX Lawn seats available

Philips Arena
Atlanta, GA Seats available

Verizon Wireless Virginia Beach Amphitheater
Virginia Beach, VA Pavilion and Lawn seats
available

Nissan Pavilion
Bristow, VA Pavilion and Lawn seats
available

Of 38 shows for North America, only 8 are soldout! Most shows that are not soldout have thousands of tickets available at very low ticket prices.

Based on this, Coldplay has yet to even reach the level of popularity that U2 had achieved just a few months after the release of U2's first USA platinum album, the Unforgettable Fire back in early 1985.

Once the price and demand at that price for tickets are factored in, U2 are probably 10 times as popular as Coldplay on the concert front in the USA. For example, Coldplay's show in Philadelphia is not soldout and is unlikely to Gross more than 1 million dollars. U2 has already soldout 4 shows in Philadelphia with a GROSS of 7 million and they could easily sellout two more shows there pushing the Gross past 10 million.

Overseas and certainly in the United Kingdom, things may be a different story, but I doubt Coldplay will come anywhere near U2's 32 date soldout tour of Europe Grossing 5 million per night and playing to nearly 60,000 people per night.

Back
Top Bottom