Biggest Grossing Tours Of All Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tickets are still available for the resheduled Chicago show.

I do believe they will fill show #3, but for 2009/10 it was one of the only midwest markets played. St. Louis was added late in the game.

Stones simply oversaturated Chicago with 3 visits on a single tour with little incentive to attend the finl stadium show.

U2 had 3 stadium shows in 360
The Stones had 2 stadium shows in 270 and two arena shows in 270 on A Bigger Bang.

There was just as much incentive to attend the Chicago show as their was with shows in California and New York.

Oh yes, the artist with the traveling band of hippies helping inflate their attendance at every show. That group of people could not really travel overseas with them leading to different results outside of North America.

In 1992 U2 was in the middle of a 20 year "ban" on playing Portland. Bono must have been annoyed about that stolen bag of lyrics.

In 1994 Dead played THREE nights at the STADIUM. Visited the area about 5 times from the late 80's to 1995 usually doing 2 nights. Must be some very dedicated hippies.

Amazing that U2 have no fans that travel or have seen multiple shows.

BTW, the Dead fequently played shows in Ontario, Canada.

:lol:

Wow...just wow!

What you're conveniently NOT mentioning is that 130,000 attendance in spread over nearly TWO years and that MANY fans are attending BOTH shows.

Also, not EVERY tour utilizes strategic scheduling to this extent. ONLY a few have (that I've already previously mentioned).

There are THREE identical 360 tour stage sets in place so that the tour doesn't drag on for too long. This is VERY common for stadium tours. The 360 tour is NO different on that level.

Even with the variables you've given, U2 could not gross $1 Billion on the 360 tour. And they won't gross $1 Billion from any single one of their tours until about 2020, at the earliest.

wow just wow? how old is this guy, 16? lol the only thing that wows me is how much of a TROLL you are and how anything you say will never convince me of anything. Seattle was very close to a sell out in 2010 you moron. that is not a two year span it was more like a 10 month span. when i said "close" to a billion I was talking in the ball park of $900 million. sorry i'll be more specific next time. this figure could be done with arenas added, another small stadium leg in europe and asia and you know it. I'm sorry but your "OPINIONS" will never be taken seriously by me...:wink: Post some facts and maybe I will listen, but that's a maybe..haha

Also, I am well aware they are using three stages. its the time it takes to build and break down the stages that causes the problem. the only reason you're able to see current individual boxscores is probably because I actually have a subscription to billboard.

wow just wow? how old is this guy, 16? lol the only thing that wows me is how much of a TROLL you are and how anything you say will never convince me of anything. Seattle was very close to a sell out in 2010 you moron. that is not a two year span it was more like a 10 month span. when i said "close" to a billion I was talking in the ball park of $900 million. sorry i'll be more specific next time. this figure could be done with arenas added, another small stadium leg in europe and asia and you know it. I'm sorry but your "OPINIONS" will never be taken seriously by me...:wink: Post some facts and maybe I will listen, but that's a maybe..haha

Also, I am well aware they are using three stages. its the time it takes to build and break down the stages that causes the problem. the only reason you're able to see current individual boxscores is probably because I actually have a subscription to billboard.
Don't be too bothered by his comments, he is a proven liar that actually lies about his lies. Keep in mind this is someone who prides themselves on facts and accuracy but to prove a point against U2(ie 360 won't SMASH UYI tours attendance) he will treat an attendance number from a random blog as fact. Not to mention his "complex" formula for deducting opening act grosses from 360..... X(concert gross)*.1=Y(gross to be subtracted) :lol:

Mo'scuses is a more accurate name for him with all the excuses he makes for being wrong.

In 1992 U2 was in the middle of a 20 year "ban" on playing Portland. Bono must have been annoyed about that stolen bag of lyrics.

In 1994 Dead played THREE nights at the STADIUM. Visited the area about 5 times from the late 80's to 1995 usually doing 2 nights. Must be some very dedicated hippies.

Amazing that U2 have no fans that travel or have seen multiple shows.

BTW, the Dead fequently played shows in Ontario, Canada.

U2 have fans that travel and see multiple shows, but they don't have a block of tens of thousands of fans( a hippy commune essentially) that literally go everywhere the tour does. I've seen it up close for my self. In 1993, the parking lot of RFK stadium filled up to capacity before many people could get to the stadium, resulting in thousands of people having to find parking elsewhere in the city. It was so bad that a bridge overpass going to the stadium about a mile long had to have all the traffic turn around.

The reason so much of the area got filled up so quickly is because many of the "dead heads" actually camp in the parking lot. We found parking a half mile from the stadium and as we walked in you could see all these little stands set up giving away food and other items etc. All of this going on in the parking lot taking up space that was supposed to be used strictly for parking!

The Grateful Dead's stadium (which was restricted to North America) experience, on a large scale, primarily started in 1989 a couple of years after Touch Of Gray was released and a large number of new fans seeking FREE DRUGS and a "60s experience" jumped on the bandwagon.

This quote in reference to the U2 360 tour sums up all the debate in this thread down to a "T".

"This tour is big, so successful, so great, you have think, This is as good as it gets," says Arthur Fogel, chairman of Live Nation Global Touring, the tour's producer. "It so far ecplipses anything in the past. How do you top this?"

Written by Ray Waddell.

I think Arthur Fogel knows a little bit more than Moggio does..:wave:

I just provided a perfect response to your points.

Your response is a copy in past of what I had just responded to which shows one of two things:

1. You did not read my response at all.

2. You understand how wrong you are, but are unwilling to admit it, sort of like a person that sticks their fingers in their ears and talks loudly to block out something that they don't want to hear.

Its a rather simple correction and its ignorant and un-objective to be completely denying it.

The reason why I copy and pasted some of my previous posts is because you're talking in circles...and hence I've already stated how I don't agree with your stupid assumptions that make no sense to anyone but yourself. :lol:

No one here or at the UKMIX forum would say anything different on the fact that you were wrong about Western Pennsylvania, Nashville, Winnipeg and St. Louis.

If that's true, they either are stupid or don't know how to read.

It makes a hell of a lot more sense than just blankly claiming it doesn't make sense.

Lets see your attempt to accurately adjust for the confessions tour with respect to the Sticky And Sweet tours total gross.

What would be the point in doing that?

LOL

1. Well, at least we have you on the record. Remember, Live Nation is not going to do anything that would undercut Madonna's maximum gross figure for a tour in 2013, so there is really no need to bring up the scheduling issue.

There's a need. Because with tours this big, there are always many factors to consider.

2. $500 million to $600 million is certainly less than what U2 is doing on the 360 tour which. Both Sticky And Sweet and the U2 360 tour overlap with the year 2009, so both are on essentially the same time scale.

Uh, no. Most of the Sticky & Sweet tour was BEFORE the 360 tour and the bulk on the S&S tour's gross totals were from '08. :rolleyes:

3. A 1 Billion gross over 110 shows would be an average gross per show of $9 million dollars. For a 360 stadium show, that would mean an average ticket price of about $140 dollars. For a 270 stadium show, that would mean an average ticket price of $165 dollars. For a 360 arena show, that would mean an average ticket price of $486.50. For a 270 arena show, that would mean an average ticket price of $580.64.

4. In terms of looking at Madonna's ability to potentially gross $9 million per show in 2013, lets take a look at Madonna shows that have actually achieved that gross before.

We find that there have only been 4 shows in Madonna's career where she has grossed $9 million or more at a single show. Yet, MOGGIO is predicting that without another tour before 2013, Madonna will do this 110 times in a row starting in 2013.

Here are the four shows that Madonna has achieved this level of gross:

1. Military Airfield Zurich 70,314 / 70,314 (100%) $11,093,631

This was the first time Madonna had ever played in Switzerland no doubt inflating the gross and attendance.

2. Wembley Stadium London 73,349 / 73,349 (100%) $11,796,540

3. Olympic Stadium Athens 75,637 / 75,637 (100%) $9,030,440

Again, the first time Madonna has ever played in Greece.

4. West Harbour Helsinki 85,354 / 85,354 (100%) $12,148,455

Again, the first time Madonna has ever played in Finland.

An interesting point to be made is the first time Madonna EVER played WALES.

First time: Millennium Stadium Cardiff 55,795 / 55,795 (100%) $7,788,845

Second Time: Millennium Stadium Cardiff 33,460 / 33,460 (100%) $5,279,107

Now its true the shows were only two years apart, but the first show was Madonna's first ever in Wales. This is over a 40% drop off in attendance. If Madonna had waited 4 years instead of two, it appears there would would have been no increase over the 2006 show given the deep drop experienced after two years. This could be a strong indicator of Madonna's grossing ability in the dozens of markets she has rarely played.

My prediction for a Madonna 110 date tour starting in 2013 without any shows for the rest of 2011 and 2012 is $600 million maximum. She is not at U2's level on the 360 tour on Sticky And Sweet, and she still won't be in 2013. Her gross could well be lower than $600 million as Madonna for to long now has reaped the benefits of rarely touring dozens of markets around the world. As these markets around the world are played, the excitement of seeing Madonna for the first time will naturally decline or stagnate with the 2nd or 3rd shows in these areas.

Uh, you're conveniently not mentioning the FACT that EVERY Madonna tour has seen an INCREASE in demand (minus the eleven markets from '01-'09, for reasons we've talked about to death) and a few exceptions. :rolleyes:

By 2013, Madonna's overall demand levels will be WAY past the $600 million mark for 110 shows. I mean, they're even past that level CURRENTLY. The fact that you apparently don't see this is astonishing. :shocked:
Either that or your case of U2 disease is frying your brain...

LOL the Rolling Stones crippled by two arena shows 10 months earlier resulting in only 33,296 attendance in a 62,000 seat stadium in one of the largest cities on the planet.

:lol: U2 wouldn't have a HOPE IN HELL at grossing that much $$$ in Chicago at that time or on the 360 tour within a 13 MONTH PERIOD, without strategic scheduling and including major ARENA openers. Not only that but those Stones' stats are FIVE to SIX years old. They would be at least 20-25% higher today.

You can't be serious.

MOGGIO has an obsession with saying that someone is a bigger draw than U2, which is why he once often said the Eagles were, and then in the past few years elevated Madonna to that status when it was clear only one artist could compete with U2. Bringing up dead bands and imagining them beating U2 on a tour is not a surprise.

Unfortunately for MOGGIO, these fantasy's will never happen.

There's no "obsession." Unlike you, I'm dealing with compelling evidence and factual information. It's a FACT that if The Beatles, Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd were to tour and reunite today, they would easily outgross U2 in most worldwide markets.

wow just wow? how old is this guy, 16? lol the only thing that wows me is how much of a TROLL you are and how anything you say will never convince me of anything.

Really? Then why are you NOW saying that there's truth to strategic scheduling...when recently you said it was ridiculous? :lol:

Seattle was very close to a sell out in 2010 you moron...

Excuse me? You can go FUCK YOURSELF.

...that is not a two year span it was more like a 10 month span.

You don't get it. There's a SHITLOAD of fans from Washington State and Oregon who attended the '09 Vancouver show. And there will also be a SHITLOAD of fans from BC and Oregon attending the Seattle show this year. So that attendance figure of 130,000 you quoted is actually MUCH less.

when i said "close" to a billion I was talking in the ball park of $900 million. sorry i'll be more specific next time. this figure could be done with arenas added, another small stadium leg in europe and asia and you know it. I'm sorry but your "OPINIONS" will never be taken seriously by me...:wink: Post some facts and maybe I will listen, but that's a maybe..haha

There's NO way in hell U2 could gross ANYWHERE NEAR that on the 360 tour. Your ignorance regarding this issue is breathtaking.

Nope. I have my own access to boxscore info. :lol:

This quote in reference to the U2 360 tour sums up all the debate in this thread down to a "T".

"This tour is big, so successful, so great, you have think, This is as good as it gets," says Arthur Fogel, chairman of Live Nation Global Touring, the tour's producer. "It so far ecplipses anything in the past. How do you top this?"

Written by Ray Waddell.

I think Arthur Fogel knows a little bit more than Moggio does..:wave:

The whole point of a promoter's job is to promote. Get it?

Don't be too bothered by his comments, he is a proven liar that actually lies about his lies. Keep in mind this is someone who prides themselves on facts and accuracy but to prove a point against U2(ie 360 won't SMASH UYI tours attendance) he will treat an attendance number from a random blog as fact. Not to mention his "complex" formula for deducting opening act grosses from 360..... X(concert gross)*.1=Y(gross to be subtracted) :lol:

Mo'scuses is a more accurate name for him with all the excuses he makes for being wrong.

I've already either provided compelling evidence, proven wrong or have thoroughly explained ALL your concerns and stupid claims you've thrown at me. You have NO legs to stand on in this discussion. Give it up. :lol:

Uh, you're conveniently not mentioning the FACT that EVERY Madonna tour has seen an INCREASE in demand (minus the eleven markets from '01-'09, for reasons we've talked about to death) and a few exceptions. :rolleyes:

By 2013, Madonna's overall demand levels will be WAY past the $600 million mark for 110 shows. I mean, they're even past that level CURRENTLY. The fact that you apparently don't see this is astonishing. :shocked:
Either that or your case of U2 disease is frying your brain...

The increase in gross each tour is do to the expansion of shows in markets that Madonna rarely plays, has never played, or underplayed. Take those markets away and its a very different picture. Cardiff shows that her reach is thin and unsustainable in even 2nd tier major markets.

Yes, according to you, Madonna will be at $1 Billion for a 110 date tour starting in 2013, just two years from now. My figure is $600 million maximum. I'm not sure we have ever had predictions that were this far apart. We'll see who is right in a couple of years.:wink:

Oh since your prediction for Madonna for a tour starting in 2013 with 110 shows is $1 Billion and she is more popular than the Stones and U2 according to you, can we assume that your prediction for the Stones in the same format would be $900 million?

There's no "obsession." Unlike you, I'm dealing with compelling evidence and factual information. It's a FACT that if The Beatles, Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd were to tour and reunite today, they would easily outgross U2 in most worldwide markets.

No, its an estimate. It only becomes fact when it happens.

:lol: U2 wouldn't have a HOPE IN HELL at grossing that much $$$ in Chicago at that time or on the 360 tour within a 13 MONTH PERIOD, without strategic scheduling and including major ARENA openers. Not only that but those Stones' stats are FIVE to SIX years old. They would be at least 20-25% higher today.

You can't be serious.

MOGGIO, you've already admitted that Chicago is a market that is generally one place where U2 is ahead of the Stones in the United States.

This Stones show in Chicago was strategically scheduled as there were no Stones shows in nearby markets on that leg of the tour.

U2's combined 360 gross in Chicago will be more than what the Stones did on A Bigger Bang, and they would still have room for a show at the United Center as far as demand is concerned.

There's NO way in hell U2 could gross ANYWHERE NEAR that on the 360 tour. Your ignorance regarding this issue is breathtaking.

Ok MOGGIO, its July 31, 2011 and U2 has completed all their 360 stadium shows, but the band decide they want to continue to play to whatever demand is left in North America and Europe in Arena's. GROSS at that point stands at $730 million. How much could U2 add to that gross by playing an arena leg of Europe and an arena leg of North America in summer/fall 2011?

Hey Moggio if you could learn to read I said everyone uses some type of strategic scheduling. When I said ridiculous, I was referring to your definition of strategic scheduling.

And why the harsh language? Usually people with lower intelligence have to substitute words for the way you speak. Your last post about me only once again proved to me what a big moron you are. Are you sure you are not 16 years old?

I bet your access to any type of boxscores is by freeloading off of others...happy trolling you idiotic moron.

I've already either provided compelling evidence, proven wrong or have thoroughly explained ALL your concerns and stupid claims you've thrown at me. You have NO legs to stand on in this discussion. Give it up. :lol:

I've never seen you provide compelling evidence you TROLL.

Once again an Opinion TROLL. Does anyone find Moggio as boring as I do?

Could you all please stop making this personal? That's the reason why all these threads eventually will get closed!

Yes, according to you, Madonna will be at $1 Billion for a 110 date tour starting in 2013, just two years from now. My figure is $600 million maximum. I'm not sure we have ever had predictions that were this far apart. We'll see who is right in a couple of years.:wink:

Oh since your prediction for Madonna for a tour starting in 2013 with 110 shows is $1 Billion and she is more popular than the Stones and U2 according to you, can we assume that your prediction for the Stones in the same format would be $900 million?

No, I didn't say that. I said Madonna's demand level in 2013 considering she doesn't tour in 2011 or 2012 and performs 110 shows with massive strategic scheduling, will be CLOSER to $1 Billion, not $1 Billion. More specifically and considering the above factors, it would be in the $850-$900 million range. And The Stones' demand level, considering the above factors and with relatively strong openers, by this point will be very similar.

No, its an estimate. It only becomes fact when it happens.

YOU KNOW DAMN WELL, if Pink Floyd, The Beatles or Led Zeppelin, reunited and toured today, they would outgross U2 in most worldwide markets. Ask ANY promoter.

MOGGIO, you've already admitted that Chicago is a market that is generally one place where U2 is ahead of the Stones in the United States.

Where, when and what time and date did I say that?

This Stones show in Chicago was strategically scheduled as there were no Stones shows in nearby markets on that leg of the tour.

Not all of them were though.

U2's combined 360 gross in Chicago will be more than what the Stones did on A Bigger Bang, and they would still have room for a show at the United Center as far as demand is concerned.

Let's go over this AGAIN:

U2 wouldn't have a HOPE IN HELL at grossing that much $$$ in Chicago at that time or on the 360 tour within a 13 MONTH PERIOD, without strategic scheduling and including major ARENA openers. Not only that but those Stones' stats are FIVE to SIX years old. They would be at least 20-25% higher today.

Ok MOGGIO, its July 31, 2011 and U2 has completed all their 360 stadium shows, but the band decide they want to continue to play to whatever demand is left in North America and Europe in Arena's. GROSS at that point stands at $730 million. How much could U2 add to that gross by playing an arena leg of Europe and an arena leg of North America in summer/fall 2011?

That's a vague question. I need more details.

Hey Moggio if you could learn to read I said everyone uses some type of strategic scheduling. When I said ridiculous, I was referring to your definition of strategic scheduling.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :lol:

And why the harsh language? Usually people with lower intelligence have to substitute words for the way you speak. Your last post about me only once again proved to me what a big moron you are. Are you sure you are not 16 years old?

Hypocrisy and irony are obviously lost on you with those stupid statements.

I bet your access to any type of boxscores is by freeloading off of others...happy trolling you idiotic moron.

That is the THIRD time you've called me a moron, despite the fact you know almost NOTHING about the topic we're discussing. So, I'll say it again, GO FUCK YOURSELF.

I've never seen you provide compelling evidence you TROLL.

It's more like you've CHOSEN not to see it.

Once again an Opinion TROLL. Does anyone find Moggio as boring as I do?

Even more evidence showing (not that any is needed) just how little you know about this subject.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :lol:

Hypocrisy and irony are obviously lost on you with those stupid statements.

That is the THIRD time you've called me a moron, despite the fact you know almost NOTHING about the topic we're discussing. So, I'll say it again, GO FUCK YOURSELF.

It's more like you've CHOSEN not to see it.

Even more evidence showing (not that any is needed) just how little you know about this subject.

What's pathetic is you think this topic we are talking about is rocket science..get over yourself Moggio. lol

I was only stating the obvious about how much of a moron you are. You seriously need to grow up.

Adios looser.

No, I didn't say that. I said Madonna's demand level in 2013 considering she doesn't tour in 2011 or 2012 and performs 110 shows with massive strategic scheduling, will be CLOSER to $1 Billion, not $1 Billion. More specifically and considering the above factors, it would be in the $850-$900 million range. And The Stones' demand level, considering the above factors and with relatively strong openers, by this point will be very similar.

[/COLOR][/FONT]

Ok, then we'll have you on record as $850-$900 million for Madonna and $850 million for the Stones given a 110 date tour.

I can't see Madonna doing more than $600 million.

But we'll see who is right in a couple of years. :wink:

YOU KNOW DAMN WELL, if Pink Floyd, The Beatles or Led Zeppelin, reunited and toured today, they would outgross U2 in most worldwide markets. Ask ANY promoter.

As they would all be re-union tours as opposed to a tour by a band that has been consistently active for the past 30 years, I would probably estimate that as well.

Still, until it happens, its not a fact.

Let's go over this AGAIN:

U2 wouldn't have a HOPE IN HELL at grossing that much $$$ in Chicago at that time or on the 360 tour within a 13 MONTH PERIOD, without strategic scheduling and including major ARENA openers. Not only that but those Stones' stats are FIVE to SIX years old. They would be at least 20-25% higher today.

U2
September 12-13, 2009
Chicago Illinois
Soldier Field
GROSS: $13,860,480
ATTENDANCE: 135,872
SHOWS: 2
SELLOUTS: 2
Average Ticket Price: $102.01
SUPPORT: Snow Patrol

3rd show originally scheduled for July 6, 2010 until May 2010 postponement due to Bono's back injury. Rescheduled date is July 5, 2011. SUPPORT is Interpol.

So, prior to the 3rd concert being postponed, the gap between the first two shows and the third was only 10 months, so that not a factor.

Rolling Stones
September 10, 2005
Chicago Illinois
Soldier Field Stadium
GROSS: $7,231,427
ATTENDANCE: 55,046
SHOWS: 1
SELLOUTS: 1
Average ticket Price: $131.37

January 23, 25, 2006
Chicago Illinois
United Center
GROSS: $5,545,431
ATTENDANCE: 29,997
Average Ticket Price: $184.87

October 11, 2006
Chicago Illinois
Soldier Field
GROSS: $4,020,721
ATTENDANCE: 33,296
Average Ticket Price: $120.76
SUPPORT: Elvis Costello

Combined Rolling Stones gross in Chicago on A Bigger Bang over 13 month period: $16,797,579.

1. If we were to believe your 25% increase, that would put the Stones combined total at just under $21 million.

2. Thats essentially where U2 will be at with their third show, about $21 million and thats without playing any arena shows like the Stones have.

3. U2's openers, Snow Patrol and Interpol are NOT arena level acts in the United States. The best they have ever done in the United States is play theaters or small music halls. Neither of these artist is anywhere near being able to have a show at the United Center or Rosemount Horizon.

4. In contrast, the Stones had the FAMOUS Elvis Costello open their last show in Chicago. I'm still looking to see who opened the other three shows, but its likely they were a bigger draw than either Interpol or Snow Patrol.

That's a vague question. I need more details.

Its a rather simple question. Same as any other asking one to estimate gross potential based on certain factors. I have a list of about 30 arena shows in North America, and 30 arena shows in Europe that U2 could do this fall with the total gross being I think around $100 million to $120 million.

By next week, U2 360 should pass Rolling Stones A Bigger Bang Tour in total GROSS.

We now almost have all the individual boxscores for the Rolling Stones A Bigger Bang Tour. Were only missing 24 from the European 2007 summer tour. It looks like Michael Cohl chose not to release those. Many of the others were not released or kept from the public for a while. He did of course release the final totals. Early on, only a few dozen of the individual boxscores were available. We now have 119 of them! Here they are:

THE ROLLING STONES - A BIGGER BANG TOUR

1ST LEG NORTH AMERICA

August 21, 23, 2005
Boston Massachusetts
Fenway Park
GROSS: $10,686,758
ATTENDANCE: 70,428
Average Ticket Price: $151.74

August 26, 2005
Hartford, CT
Rentschler Field
GROSS: $4,783,160
ATTENDANCE: 40,624
CAPACITY: 40,640
SELLOUTS: 0
Average Ticket Price: $117.74

August 28, 2005
Ottawa, ONT, Canada
Frank Clair Stadium
GROSS: $4,983,538
ATTENDANCE: 47,997
Average Ticket Price: $103.83

August 31, 2005
Detroit Michigan
Comerica Park
GROSS: $3,857,695
ATTENDANCE: 44,635
Average Ticket Price: $86.43

September 3, 2005
Moncton, NB, Canada
Magnetic Hill
GROSS: $7,223,197
ATTENDANCE: 89,260
Average Ticket Price: $80.92

September 6, 2005
St. Paul, MN
Xcel Energy Center
GROSS: $2,602,540
ATTENDANCE: 15,872
Average Ticket Price: $163.97

September 8, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Bradley Center
GROSS: $2,175,790
ATTENDANCE: 14,190
CAPACITY: 15,492
Average Ticket Price: $153.33

September 10, 2005
Chicago Illinois
Soldier Field Stadium

September 13, 2005
New York, NY
Madison Square Garden Arena
GROSS: $3,495,556
ATTENDANCE: 15,590
Average Ticket Price: $224.28

September 15, 2005
East Rutherford, NJ
Giants Stadium
GROSS: $8,692,788
ATTENDANCE: 59,184
Average Ticket Price: $146.88

September 17, 2005
Albany New York
Pepsi Arena
GROSS: $2,020,541
ATTENDANCE: 13,490
Average Ticket Price: $149.78

September 24, 2005
Columbus, OH
Nationwide Arena
GROSS: $2,507,095
ATTENDANCE: 15,714
Average Ticket Price: $159.55

September 26, 2005
Toronto, ONT, Canada
Rogers Centre
GROSS: $5,043,850
ATTENDANCE: 50,872
Average Ticket Price: $99.15

September 29, 2005
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
PNC Park At North Shore
GROSS: $4,935,440
ATTENDANCE: 42,129
CAPACITY: 44,000
Average Ticket Price: $117.15

October 1, 2005
Hershey Pennsylvania
Hersheypark Stadium
GROSS: $4,277,587
ATTENDANCE: 43,577
Average Ticket Price: $98.16

October 3, 2005
Washington, DC
MCI Center
GROSS: $2,927,694
ATTENDANCE: 15,435
Average Ticket Price: $189.68

October 6, 2005
Charlottesville, VA
Scott Stadium At Univ. Of Virg.
GROSS: $5,707,785
ATTENDANCE: 57,908
Average Ticket Price: $98.57

October 8, 2005
Durham North Carolina
Wallace Wade Stadium
GROSS: $4,232,440
ATTENDANCE: 47,753
Average Ticket Price: $88.63

October 10, 12, 2005
Philadelphia Pennsylvania
Wachovia Center
GROSS: $5,837,502
ATTENDANCE: 31,481
Average Ticket Price: $185.43

October 15, 2005
Atlanta Georgia
Philips Arena
GROSS: $2,714,350
ATTENDANCE: 15,181
Average Ticket Price: $178.80

October 17, 2005
Miami Florida
American Airlines Arena
GROSS: $2,910,360
ATTENDANCE: 15,240
Average Ticket Price: $190.97

October 19, 2005
Tampa Florida
St. Pete Times Forum
GROSS: $2,758,472
ATTENDANCE: 15,378
Average Ticket Price: $179.38

October 21, 2005
Charlotte North Carolina
Charlotte Bobcats Arena
GROSS: $2,488,650
ATTENDANCE: 15,583
Average Ticket Price: $159.70

October 28, 2005
Calgary, ALB, Canada
Pengrowth Saddledome
GROSS: $2,484,543
ATTENDANCE: 15,358
Average Ticket Price: $161.78

October 30, 2005
Seattle Washington
KeyArena At Seattle Center
GROSS: $2,131,655
ATTENDANCE: 13,976
Average Ticket Price: $152.52

November 1, 2005
Portland Oregon
Rose Garden Arena
GROSS: $2,221,800
ATTENDANCE: 15,634
Average Ticket Price: $142.11

November 4, 2005
Anaheim, CA
Angel Stadium Of Anaheim
GROSS: $6,792,416
ATTENDANCE: 48,480
Average Ticket Price: $140.11

November 6, 8, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Hollywood Bowl
GROSS: $5,953,928
ATTENDANCE: 35,711
CAPACITY: 35,734
Average Ticket Price: $166.73

November 11, 2005
San Diego, CA
Pecto Park
GROSS: $5,956,083
ATTENDANCE: 44,310
CAPACITY: 44,319
Average Ticket Price: $134.42

November 13, 15, 2005
San Francisco, CA
SBC Park
GROSS: $11,210,733
ATTENDANCE: 87,054
CAPACITY: 88,264
Average Ticket Price: $128.78

November 18, 2005
Las Vegas Nevada
MGM Grand Garden Arena
GROSS: $4,053,289
ATTENDANCE: 13,898
Average Ticket Price: $291.65

November 20, 2005
Fresno, CA
Save Mart Center
GROSS: $2,324,305
ATTENDANCE: 13,378
Average Ticket Price: $173.74

November 22, 2005
Salt Lake City Utah
Delta Center
GROSS: $1,854,465
ATTENDANCE: 13,897
CAPACITY: 14,731
Average Ticket Price: $133.44

November 24, 2005
Denver Colorado
Pepsi Center
GROSS: $2,707,590
ATTENDANCE: 15,091
CAPACITY: 15,385
Average Ticket Price: $179.42

November 27, 2005
Glendale, AZ
Glendale Arena
GROSS: $2,553,855
ATTENDANCE: 14,784
Average Ticket Price: $172.74

November 29, 2005
Dallas Texas
American Airlines Center
GROSS: $2,792,740
ATTENDANCE: 15,351
Average Ticket Price: $181.93

December 1, 2005
Houston Texas
Toyota Center
GROSS: $2,616,385
ATTENDANCE: 15,251
Average Ticket Price: $171.56

December 3, 2005
Memphis Tennessee
FedEx Forum
GROSS: $2,294,765
ATTENDANCE: 14,688
Average Ticket Price: $156.23

January 10, 2006
Montreal Quebec, Canada
Bell Centre
GROSS: $2,391,173
ATTENDANCE: 16,622
Average Ticket Price: $143.86

January 13, 15, 2006
Boston Massachusetts
TD Banknorth Garden
GROSS: $4,990,074
ATTENDANCE: 25,147
Average Ticket Price: $198.44

January 18, 20, 2006
New York, New York
Madison Square Garden
GROSS: $6,808,320
ATTENDANCE: 29,682
Average Ticket Price: $229.38

January 23, 25, 2006
Chicago Illinois
United Center

January 27, 2006
St. Louis, Mo.
Savvis Center
GROSS: $2,625,950
ATTENDANCE: 15,632
Average Ticket Price: $167.99

January 29, 2006
Omaha, Neb.
Qwest Center
GROSS: $2,342,875
ATTENDANCE: 14,074
Average Ticket Price: $166.47

February 1, 2006
Baltimore Maryland
1st Mariner Arena
GROSS: $2,429,761
ATTENDANCE: 12,423
Average Ticket Price: $195.59

February 8, 2006
Atlanta Georgia
Philips Arena
GROSS: $2,244,647
ATTENDANCE: 13,171
Average Ticket Price: $170.42

February 11, 2006
Hato Rey, Puerto Rico
Coliseo de Puerto Rico Jose Miguel Agrelot
GROSS: $3,122,443
ATTENDANCE: 15,088
Average Ticket Price: $206.95

THE ROLLING STONES - A BIGGER BANG TOUR 1ST LEG NORTH AMERICAN STATS

GROSS: $194,543,441
ATTENDANCE: 1,381,264
Average Gross: $3,602,656
Average Attendance: 25,579
Average Ticket Price: $140.85
Shows: 54
Sellouts: 44

THE ROLLING STONES - A BIGGER BANG TOUR 2ND LEG SOUTH AMERICA

February 21, 23, 2006
Buenos Aires Argentina
Estadio River Plate
GROSS: $6,483,997
ATTENDANCE: 141,092
Average Ticket Price: $45.96

THE ROLLING STONES - A BIGGER BANG TOUR 2ND LEG SOUTH AMERICA STATS:

GROSS: $6,483,997
ATTENDANCE: 141,092
Average Gross: $3,241,999
Average Attendance: 70,546
Average Ticket Price: $45.96

THE ROLLING STONES - A BIGGER BANG TOUR 3RD LEG NORTH AMERICA

February 26, 2006
Mexico City, Mexico
Foro Sol
GROSS: $5,206,428
ATTENDANCE: 51,482
Average Ticket Price: $101.13

March 1, 2006
Monterrey, Mexico
Estadio Universitario
GROSS: $2,748,492
ATTENDANCE: 28,660
CAPACITY: 30,167
Average Ticket Price: $95.90

March 4, 2006
Las Vegas Nevada
MGM Grand Garden
GROSS: $4,151,910
ATTENDANCE: 13,805
Average Ticket Price: $300.75

March 6, 2006
Inglewood, California
The Forum
GROSS: $2,842,625
ATTENDANCE: 13,899
Average Ticket Price: $204.52

March 9, 2006
North Little Rock
Alltel Arena
GROSS: $2,132,400
ATTENDANCE: 14,567
Average Ticket Price: $146.39

March 12, 2006
Sunrise, Florida
Bank Atlantic Center
GROSS: $2,923,241
ATTENDANCE: 15,305
Average Ticket Price: $191.00

March 14, 2006
New York City New York
Radio City Music Hall
GROSS: $8,625,590
ATTENDANCE: 5,800
Average Ticket Price: $1,487.17

THE ROLLING STONES - A BIGGER BANG TOUR 3RD LEG NORTH AMERICAN STATS

GROSS: $28,630,686
ATTENDANCE: 143,518
Average Gross: $4,090,098
Average Attendance: 20,503
Average Ticket Price: $199.49
Shows: 7
Sellouts: 6

THE ROLLING STONES - A BIGGER BANG TOUR 4TH LEG JAPAN/CHINA

March 22, 24, 2006
Tokyo
Tokyo Dome
GROSS: $8,809,023
ATTENDANCE: 78,287
CAPACITY: 86,898
Average Ticket Price: $112.52

March 29, 2006
Sapporo, Japan
Sapporo Dome
GROSS: $3,112,528
ATTENDANCE: 33,112
CAPACITY: 35,000
Average Ticket Price: $94.00

April 2, 2006
Saitama, Japan
Saitama Super Arena
GROSS: $2,811,378
ATTENDANCE: 16,800
Average Ticket Price: $167.34

April 5, 2006
Nagoya Japan
Nagoya Dome
GROSS: $3,389,566
ATTENDANCE: 35,125
CAPACITY: 37,000
Average Ticket Price: $96.50

April 8, 2006
Shanghai, China
Shanghai Grand Stage
GROSS: $1,145,977
ATTENDANCE: 8,511
Average Ticket Price: $134.65

THE ROLLING STONES - A BIGGER BANG TOUR 4TH LEG JAPAN/CHINA STATS

GROSS: $19,268,472
ATTENDANCE: 171,835
Average Gross: $3,211,412
Average Attendance: 28,639
Average Ticket Price: $112.13
Shows: 6
Sellouts: 2

THE ROLLING STONES - A BIGGER BANG TOUR 5TH LEG AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND

April 11, 2006
Sydney Australia
Telstra Stadium
GROSS: $5,036,002
ATTENDANCE: 58,611
Average Ticket Price: $85.92

April 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Melbourne Park
Rod Laver Arena
GROSS: $2,349,428
ATTENDANCE: 13,008
Average Ticket Price: $180.61

April 16, 2006
Auckland, New Zealand
Western Springs Stadium
GROSS: $4,298,034
ATTENDANCE: 53,218
Average Ticket Price: $80.76

April 18, 2006
Wellington, New Zealand
Westpac Stadium
GROSS: $4,096,736
ATTENDANCE: 38,324
Average Ticket Price: $106.90

THE ROLLING STONES - A BIGGER BANG TOUR 5TH LEG AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND STATS

GROSS: $15,780,200
ATTENDANCE: 163,161
Average Gross: $3,945,050
Average Attendance: 40,790
Average Ticket Price: $96.72
Shows: 4
Sellouts: 4

THE ROLLING STONES - A BIGGER BANG TOUR 6TH LEG EUROPE

July 11, 2006
Milan Italy
Stadio San Siro
GROSS: $3,850,513
ATTENDANCE: 56,175
CAPACITY: 67,509
Average Ticket Price: $68.55

July 14, 2006
Vienna Austria
Ernst Happel Stadion
GROSS: $3,512,366
ATTENDANCE: 39,328
CAPACITY: 51,390
Average Ticket Price: $89.31

July 16, 2006
Munich, Germany
Olympiastadion
GROSS: $5,770,265
ATTENDANCE: 53,501
CAPACITY: 72,074
Average Ticket Price: $107.85

July 19, 2006
Hannover, Germany
AWD-Arena
GROSS: $3,419,676
ATTENDANCE: 34,595
CAPACITY: 44,676
Average Ticket Price: $98.85

July 21, 2006
Berlin, Germany
Olympiastadion
GROSS: $3,997,912
ATTENDANCE: 44,989
CAPACITY: 65,995
Average Ticket Price: $88.86

July 23, 2006
Koln, Germany
RheinEnergieStadion
GROSS: $4,156,755
ATTENDANCE: 37,642
CAPACITY: 39,212
Average Ticket Price: $110.43

July 28, 2006
Paris, France
Stade De France
GROSS: $5,956,525
ATTENDANCE: 62,761
CAPACITY: 80,000
Average Ticket Price: $94.91

July 31, 2006
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Amsterdam Arena
GROSS: $5,585,441
ATTENDANCE: 50,001
CAPACITY: 52,969
Average Ticket Price: $111.71

August 3, 2007
Stuttgart, Germany
Gottlieb-Daimler-Stadion
GROSS: $4,804,206
ATTENDANCE: 50,399
CAPACITY: 53,972
Average Ticket Price: $95.32

August 5, 2006
Zurich, Switzerland
Dubendorf Airfield
GROSS: $8,146,543
ATTENDANCE: 65,135
CAPACITY: 69,000
Average Ticket Price: $125.07

August 8, 2006
Nice, France
Le Palais Nikala
GROSS: $3,356,525
ATTENDANCE: 46,882
CAPACITY: 54,128
Average Ticket Price: $71.60

August 12, 2006
Porto, Portugal
Estadio do Dragao
GROSS: $3,554,944
ATTENDANCE: 47,801
CAPACITY: 51,990
Average Ticket Price: $74.37

August 20, 22, 2006
London England
Twickenham Stadium
GROSS: $13,526,368
ATTENDANCE: 100,540
CAPACITY: 109,892
Average Ticket Price: $134.54

August 25, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Hampden Park
GROSS: $4,022,000
ATTENDANCE: 31,495
CAPACITY: 33,506
Average Ticket Price: $127.70

August 27, 2006
Sheffield, England
Don Valley Stadium
GROSS: $4,596,417
ATTENDANCE: 34,034
CAPACITY: 34,741
Average Ticket Price: $135.05

August 29, 2006
Cardiff Wales
Millennium Stadium
GROSS: $5,534,100
ATTENDANCE: 48,988
CAPACITY: 57,224
Average Ticket Price: $112.97

September 1, 2006
Bergen Norway
Koengen Festival Site
GROSS: $3,169,218
ATTENDANCE: 20,375
Average Ticket Price: $155.54

September 3, 2006
Horsens, Denmark
Horsens Forum Outdoor
GROSS: $8,838,178
ATTENDANCE: 84,588
CAPACITY: 85,300
Average Ticket Price: $104.49

THE ROLLING STONES - A BIGGER BANG TOUR 6TH LEG EUROPE STATS

GROSS: $95,797,952
ATTENDANCE: 909,229
Average Gross: $5,041,998
Average Attendance: 47,854
Average Ticket Price: $105.36
Shows: 19
Sellouts: 1

THE ROLLING STONES - A BIGGER BANG TOUR 7TH LEG NORTH AMERICA

September 20, 2006
Foxboro Massachusetts
Gilette Stadium
GROSS: $4,042,193
ATTENDANCE: 44,115
Average Ticket Price: $91.63
SUPPORT: Kanye West

September 23, 2006
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Field Site
GROSS: $4,323,060
ATTENDANCE: 40,313
Average Ticket Price: $107.24
SUPPORT: Kanye West/Alice Cooper/Sloan

September 27, 2006
East Rutherford, New Jersey
Giants Stadium
GROSS: $6,146,539
ATTENDANCE: 48,715
Average Ticket Price: $126.17
SUPPORT: Kanye West

September 29, 2006
Louisville Kentucky
Churchill Downs
GROSS: $5,060,297
ATTENDANCE: 40,912
Average Ticket Price: $123.69
SUPPORT: Alice Cooper

October 1, 2006
Wichita Kansas
Cessna Stadium
GROSS: $2,819,981
ATTENDANCE: 32,409
Average Ticket Price: $87.01

October 4, 2006
Missoula Montana
Grizzly Stadium
GROSS: $2,847,820
ATTENDANCE: 23,769
Average Ticket Price: $119.81

October 6, 8, 2006
Regina Sas, Canada
Taylor Field
GROSS: $10,545,286
ATTENDANCE: 80,583
Average Ticket Price: $130.86

October 11, 2006
Chicago Illinois
Soldier Field

October 17, 2006
Seattle Washington
Qwest Field
GROSS: $3,529,738
ATTENDANCE: 42,813
Average Ticket Price: $82.45
SUPPORT: Dave Matthews Band

October 20, 2006
El Paso Texas
Sun Bowl Stadium
GROSS: $3,106,995
ATTENDANCE: 38,653
Average Ticket Price: $80.38
SUPPORT: Dave Matthews Band

October 22, 2006
Austin Texas
Zilker Park
GROSS: $4,697,220
ATTENDANCE: 40,282
Average Ticket Price: $116.61

October 29, November 1, 2006
New York City New York
Beacon Theatre
GROSS: $171,317
ATTENDANCE: 4,502
Average Ticket Price: $38.05
SUPPORT: Jack White, Christina Aguilera, Buddy Guy
Ticket Prices: $25.00-$50.00

November 6, 2006
Oakland California
Mcafee Coliseum
GROSS: $3,940,742
ATTENDANCE: 42,739
Average Ticket Price: $92.21
SUPPORT: Van Morrison

November 8, 2006
Glendale Arizona
Cardinals Stadium
GROSS: $3,286,121
ATTENDANCE: 41,772
Average Ticket Price: $78.67
SUPPORT: Alice Cooper

November 11, 2006
Las Vegas Nevada
MGM Grand Garden Arena
GROSS: $4,150,913
ATTENDANCE: 13,843
Average Ticket Price: $299.86

November 14, 2006
Nampa Idaho
Idaho Center
GROSS: $1,979,465
ATTENDANCE: 10,903
Average Ticket Price: $181.55

November 17, 2006
Atlantic City, NJ
Boardwalk Hall
GROSS: $3,029,879
ATTENDANCE: 11,809
Average Ticket Price: $256.57

November 22, 2006
Los Angeles California
Dodger Stadium
GROSS: $4,193,913
ATTENDANCE: 51,916
Average Ticket Price: $80.78
SUPPORT: Bonnie Raitt

November 25, 2006
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
British Columbia Stadium
GROSS: $5,562,036
ATTENDANCE: 51,792
Average Ticket Price: $107.39

THE ROLLING STONES - A BIGGER BANG TOUR 7TH LEG NORTH AMERICA STATS

GROSS: $77,454,236
ATTENDANCE: 695,136
Average Gross: $3,688,297
Average Attendance: 33,102
Average Ticket Price: $111.42
Shows: 21
Sellouts: 21

THE ROLLING STONES - A BIGGER BANG TOUR 8TH LEG EUROPE

Combined STATS for missing shows
June 5, through August 15, 2007
GROSS: $87,804,257
ATTENDANCE: 866,528
Average Gross: $3,658,511
Average Attendance: 36,105
Average Ticket Price: $101.33
Shows: 24
Sellouts: 0

August 3, 2007
Gothenberg Sweden
Ullevi Stadium
GROSS: $7,712,619
ATTENDANCE: 56,381
Average Ticket Price: $136.80

August 5, 2007
Copenhagen Denmark
Parken National Stadium
GROSS: $6,568,794
ATTENDANCE: 41,164
CAPACITY: 47,409
Average Ticket Price: $159.58

August 18, 2007
Dublin Ireland
Slane Castle
GROSS: $8,056,927
ATTENDANCE: 68,647
Average Ticket Price: $117.37

August 21, 23, 26, 2007
London England
02 Arena
GROSS: $10,153,943
ATTENDANCE: 42,045
CAPACITY: 43,500
SHOWS: 3
Average Ticket Price: $241.50

THE ROLLING STONES - A BIGGER BANG TOUR 8TH LEG EUROPE STATS

GROSS: $120,296,540
ATTENDANCE: 1,074,765
Average Gross: $4,009,885
Average Attendance: 35,826
Average Ticket Price: $111.93
Shows: 30
Sellouts: 2

THE ROLLING STONES - A BIGGER BANG TOUR 2005-2007 TOTAL STATS

GROSS: $558,255,524
ATTENDANCE: 4,680,000
Average Gross: $3,903,885
Average Attendance: 32,727
Average Ticket Price: $119.29
Shows: 143
Sellouts: 82

Ok, then we'll have you on record as $850-$900 million for Madonna and $850 million for the Stones given a 110 date tour.

For the next potential Rolling Stones tour in 2013, given 110 dates, without shows being played in 2011 or 2012 and with strategic scheduling and relatively strong openers, yes. For the next potential Madonna tour in 2013, given 110 dates, without shows being played in 2011 or 2012 and with massive strategic scheduling, yes.

As they would all be re-union tours as opposed to a tour by a band that has been consistently active for the past 30 years, I would probably estimate that as well.

Still, until it happens, its not a fact.

It's a FACT. AND, OF COURSE, YOU KNOW IT.

U2
September 12-13, 2009
Chicago Illinois
Soldier Field
GROSS: $13,860,480
ATTENDANCE: 135,872
Average Ticket Price: $102.01
SUPPORT: Snow Patrol

3rd show originally scheduled for July 6, 2010 until May 2010 postponement due to Bono's back injury. Rescheduled date is July 5, 2011. SUPPORT is Interpol.

So, prior to the 3rd concert being postponed, the gap between the first two shows and the third was only 10 months, so that not a factor.

Rolling Stones
September 10, 2005
Chicago Illinois
Soldier Field Stadium

January 23, 25, 2006
Chicago Illinois
United Center

October 11, 2006
Chicago Illinois
Soldier Field

Combined Rolling Stones gross in Chicago on A Bigger Bang over 13 month period: $16,797,579.

1. If we were to believe your 25% increase, that would put the Stones combined total at just under $21 million.

2. Thats essentially where U2 will be at with their third show, about $21 million and thats without playing any arena shows like the Stones have.

3. U2's openers, Snow Patrol and Interpol are NOT arena level acts in the United States. The best they have ever done in the United States is play theaters or small music halls. Neither of these artist is anywhere near being able to have a show at the United Center or Rosemount Horizon.

4. In contrast, the Stones had the FAMOUS Elvis Costello open their last show in Chicago. I'm still looking to see who opened the other three shows, but its likely they were a bigger draw than either Interpol or Snow Patrol.

Let's go over this FOR A THIRD TIME:

Also, U2 DID NOT/WILL NOT play Chicago THREE SEPARATE TIMES in a 13 MONTH PERIOD on their Vertigo and/or 360 tours.

Oh...and Snow Patrol and Interpol ARE ARENA draws.

Its a rather simple question. Same as any other asking one to estimate gross potential based on certain factors. I have a list of about 30 arena shows in North America, and 30 arena shows in Europe that U2 could do this fall with the total gross being I think around $100 million to $120 million.

No, it's not a simple question. Tours of this size, along with return engagements and other factors are not common at all. Which markets would these 60 arena shows be performed in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom