Tiger Woods injured in car crash - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2009, 02:43 AM   #61
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 55,042
Local Time: 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
It doesn't help the public perception of the whole thing, though. Stonewalling the police, whether it is legal or not, does not put one in a good light and makes it look like he is hiding something, whether it is true or not.
phanan's right here i think. whether or not he spoke to police is irrelevant, it doesn't make him look in good in the public eye. because what can you think but "oh, he's refusing to talk to police. surely he would if nothing sinister happened. he must be hiding something."
__________________

__________________
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:19 AM   #62
Ghost of Love
 
gvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In The Ballroom of The Crystal Lights
Posts: 19,838
Local Time: 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicy View Post
News casters made a good point. The longer he waits to say anything the more speculation that will evolve. Yes, his personal business is his own business, but when you're a public figure and an 'icon' like that the public believes it has a right to some sort of explanation.
Frankly, the news casters/media are the ones who caused the entire argument in the first place! I know you're just repeating what they said, but the public believing that they have a right to an explanation is outright absurd. So now because he's famous he gets less rights to remaining silent and/or privacy than the general public? He is now potentially part of a criminal investigation, so he really shouldn't say anything more. He did give a statement. He said the incident was his fault, and in technicality he's 100% correct, because he is the one who ran out of the house and into a tree. Unless we are about to make some sort of argument that she would have clubbed him to death had he not left, he is responsible for his own actions in a court of law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
phanan's right here i think. whether or not he spoke to police is irrelevant, it doesn't make him look in good in the public eye. because what can you think but "oh, he's refusing to talk to police. surely he would if nothing sinister happened. he must be hiding something."
Well that's what immature people who take what the media gives them like it's the gospel might think, sure. Honestly this incident is revealing alot about people's perceptions of the law and the police. Sometimes the police are not your friend, and it's not necessarily because something sinister has happened. And sometimes even if something sinister has happened, they are not perfect and they can go too far or in the wrong direction or they misinterpret what you say in your 'interview'. That's why the constitution affords you the right to remain silent and only be questioned in the presence of counsel, because it's the fair thing, not because you are necessarily a criminal.

What can I think? I can think that maybe something did go down, sure, but even then the only thing I can think is that he's doing the right thing by exercising his right to protect his family. What sane man wants the mother of his children - by any other account a good woman - to undergo the investigation, media scrutiny, and all the fallout...for that kind of minor incident? Maybe he'll end up being sorry for this decision when she hires a hit man or some shit, but I'd like to think that he knows her better than anyone and when he should call it a day with her if it came to that.

EDIT: Maybe it looks like I care too much about this. It's not from any special love for Tiger, it's just that I've always been bugged by the notion that we somehow have a 'right' to know all about what celebrities do. What part of this situation do we really have a 'right' to know about? He has stated that the accident was his fault and that the rumours were completely untrue. So what more do we have a right to know? Whether or not they argued and what about? Whether or not she bitch slapped him? Whether or not he would have hit her had he stayed, so he left to cool off? Whether or not she broke his window before or after he hit the tree? How is it his responsibility to satisfy this 'right to know' about those details when those details in themselves have nothing to do with his relationship with his fans, his game or even more remotely, his sponsors? Then he's not really the one who should be viewed with suspicion for not saying anything, is he? Or is it more accurately: Did you sleep with her? Did you have a drink with her at a club? THAT is what the 'public' wants to know, and by trying to turn it into a domestic assault case that needs explaining, the police are pandering to the pressure of the gossip media. That's likely why the cooler heads at his sponsors aren't dropping him - because outside being drunk or high or speeding, there's nothing inherently evil or publicly damning about having a minor car accident for him.
__________________

__________________
ACROBAT - U2 Tribute on Facebook


http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:
 
I'm serious, don't!

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.
 

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you








gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:35 AM   #63
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,462
Local Time: 04:51 PM
It appears Tiger Woods has finally released a statement via his agent...

Official Tiger Woods Statement
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
ntalwar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,900
Local Time: 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
whether or not he spoke to police is irrelevant, it doesn't make him look in good in the public eye. because what can you think but "oh, he's refusing to talk to police. surely he would if nothing sinister happened. he must be hiding something."
He's not a politician running for office though, and therefore doesn't care much about the "public eye". He is own boss, and doesn't have to answer to anyone really. His strategy is a success as long as his sponsors stand by him and he continues to make $100m a year from them.
__________________
ntalwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #65
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 56,462
Local Time: 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntalwar View Post
He's not a politician running for office though, and therefore doesn't care much about the "public eye". He is own boss, and doesn't have to answer to anyone really. His strategy is a success as long as his sponsors stand by him and he continues to make $100m a year from them.
not that i honestly give a flying rat's fanny about what tiger woods did or didn't do, nor who he is or isn't schtooping...

but there's a rather large contradiction in your statement... where as he doesn't care about the "public eye," only cares about his "sponsors."

without the public eye, there are no sponsors.

tiger woods' entire life has been scripted and his image highly protected. to all of a sudden say he doesn't care about what the public thinks is just a silly thing to say.

YouTube - Monty Python-Camelot Song
__________________
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 24,920
Local Time: 03:51 PM
i heard that the police report stated "Mr. Wood's vehicle was found about 15 feet off the fairway". was that really necessary?
__________________
mikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #67
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
but the public believing that they have a right to an explanation is outright absurd.
It's not that the public has a right to an explanation, it's that it's laughable for Woods to get angry about all the speculation and then refuse to talk to the police. It makes the speculation look truer; it looks like he's covering up for his wife.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:38 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict
 
mikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Black Lodge
Posts: 24,920
Local Time: 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
It's not that the public has a right to an explanation, it's that it's laughable for Woods to get angry about all the speculation and then refuse to talk to the police. It makes the speculation look truer; it looks like he's covering up for his wife.
i agree, but it might turn in Tiger's favor. if the Highway Patrol is unable to obtain a warrant, and Tiger and his team remain silent, the story will fade. it may fade slowly, but it will happen. i actually think the Tiger team is playing it well.
__________________
mikal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
ntalwar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,900
Local Time: 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
but there's a rather large contradiction in your statement... where as he doesn't care about the "public eye," only cares about his "sponsors."

without the public eye, there are no sponsors.

tiger woods' entire life has been scripted and his image highly protected. to all of a sudden say he doesn't care about what the public thinks is just a silly thing to say.
I meant more along the lines of he's not one to bow to public(or media) pressure to give more details of the incident, or to cater to the Hollywood-gossip crowd. Most of the people interested in the details of the story aren't influenced by his endorsements anyway. The ones who do buy the sponsors' goods seem mostly supportive of his decision as comments on various golf sites indicate. In general, he errs on the side of protecting privacy more often than not.

From a thegolfchannel.com poll:


"Does Tiger Woods owe it to the public to explain firsthand the circumstances surrounding his accident?
Yes, he's a public figure
33%
No, it's a private matter
67%"
__________________
ntalwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #70
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
i agree, but it might turn in Tiger's favor. if the Highway Patrol is unable to obtain a warrant, and Tiger and his team remain silent, the story will fade. it may fade slowly, but it will happen. i actually think the Tiger team is playing it well.
This.

I just read this on another site and I think it's true: Tiger's got the image he does now because he has the best PR people in the business and because he's handled his career and image in the same manner that he is handling this incident. He's going to maintain his right to privacy while the talking heads rant and rave about how they 'deserve' an explanation of the circumstances surrounding his crash. There will be uncomfortable questions about the incident that will hound him during the next golf season that he will tactfully not answer. He'll go on being one of the most dominant athletes in the world and people will get tired of the story (see Bryant, Kobe or Roethlisberger, Ben).

Other than that there isn't anything that he needs to answer to. He's under not obligation to speak with the Flordia police. He's under no obligation to speak to the media or his fans. The only people that he might have to answer to is his sponsors, but I'm sure most of them will let this blow over.
__________________
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #71
Ghost of Love
 
gvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In The Ballroom of The Crystal Lights
Posts: 19,838
Local Time: 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
It's not that the public has a right to an explanation, it's that it's laughable for Woods to get angry about all the speculation and then refuse to talk to the police. It makes the speculation look truer; it looks like he's covering up for his wife.

But the majority of the speculation is rooted in and surrounding him allegedly having an affair. What interest do the police have in that? Because even if they can get some medical expert to testify that there is a possibility that some of his facial injuries couldn't have been caused by the crash, the crash itself not only presents reasonable doubt, it presents plausible explanation for the injuries, because some other medical expert will testify that he/she believes that the facial injuries are consistent with striking the steering wheel/dash/flying cell phone/whatever. Case is dead in the water.

So then what, his image is marred because he refuses to be their sole piece of real evidence and be a witness against his own wife (spousal privilege?) for allegedly slapping him and/or busting out his Escalade window? Cmon! No way, he comes off golden, empathetic to his wife, and never has to answer to any queries about an affair more than he already has - which is to accept full blame for his accident, and deny rumors including the affair. He's making the right move.
__________________
ACROBAT - U2 Tribute on Facebook


http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:
 
I'm serious, don't!

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.
 

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you








gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #72
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 04:51 PM
Oh, that's exactly how it's going to go. In the end, all this will be is an Internet punch line you'll see every time a Major comes up again, and that'll be that.

Tiger is smaht. He can do things. Not like everyone says, like dumb.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 05:51 PM
BTW - I don't follow the logic of those who believe that Tiger should talk to the police. What does he gain by doing so? By telling "his side of the story", he's got to either talk about what a terrible driver he is or he's got to air the inner workings of his marriage (if you subscribe to the idea that those are the two most likely scenarios). If he does that he gives people concrete facts to use as ammunition against him. Right now all they have is speculation.

He's going to have to go through the media scrutiny one way or the other. Why not freeze them out and maintain control of the story that way.
__________________
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #74
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
But the majority of the speculation is rooted in and surrounding him allegedly having an affair. What interest do the police have in that? Because even if they can get some medical expert to testify that there is a possibility that some of his facial injuries couldn't have been caused by the crash, the crash itself not only presents reasonable doubt, it presents plausible explanation for the injuries, because some other medical expert will testify that he/she believes that the facial injuries are consistent with striking the steering wheel/dash/flying cell phone/whatever. Case is dead in the water.

So then what, his image is marred because he refuses to be their sole piece of real evidence and be a witness against his own wife (spousal privilege?) for allegedly slapping him and/or busting out his Escalade window? Cmon! No way, he comes off golden, empathetic to his wife, and never has to answer to any queries about an affair more than he already has - which is to accept full blame for his accident, and deny rumors including the affair. He's making the right move.
It's only the right move if he's lying. That's my only point here. I'm not saying he's not coming out golden on this. He will.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:56 PM   #75
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
It's only the right move if he's lying. That's my only point here. I'm not saying he's not coming out golden on this. He will.
I think you're confusing Tiger with RKelly. Racist.
__________________

__________________
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does anyone here believe in all that 'car colour = your personality' sh*t? mad1 Lemonade Stand Archive 14 10-04-2002 03:38 AM
Oasis Injured in Car Accident HelloAngel Lemonade Stand Archive 16 08-08-2002 01:15 AM
Major car crash...many fatalities... TheU2 Lemonade Stand Archive 12 05-11-2002 03:18 AM
Tell US ALL about your most bizarre/craziest/most ludicrous CAR CRASH.. Diamond The U2 Patriot Lemonade Stand Archive 24 03-25-2002 03:24 AM
Ben Hollioake Killed In Car Crash brettig Lemonade Stand Archive 11 03-24-2002 03:53 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com