The Official Cricket '07/'08 thread!! - Page 39 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 02:40 AM   #571
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I hope Ireland start really coming along too.

That Canadian bloke who played for South Aus was pretty good too.
Old Jon Davison... he played for the Vics for a while too.

His 100 v the windies on the SA world cup was gold.

I think the ICC need to look at globalising the game more. Twenty20, while it sees the occasional upset, is a fast food game. It isn't going to develop cricket in the better associate nations because they already have sufficient interest and infrastructure to play the proper versions of the game. The best resolution for everyone here is to give Ireland test status, and to hold a major ICC tournament each year with the leading associates (I know there is currently the intercontinental cup, but im talking something higher profile, with TV rights, more money, and more games). The associates need a move towards professionalism.

My proposal would be something like

- Zimbabwae losing test status
- Ireland taking their place
- A major competition each year between the top 4-6 associates (atm Scotland, Kenya, Netherlands, Canada and Afghanistan would compete as there is a talent divide below them).
- Each side would play 2 home and away 'tests' each year against every other leading associate, totally 16 matches a year.
- Additionally, a full test nation will be required to accept a home tour against one of the leading associates every second year. (IE in year one NZ would host Afghanistan, SA would host the Netherlands, India would host Scotland, Australia would host Canada and England would host Kenya, in year two, Ireland would host Afghanistan, Bangladesh would host the Netherlands, West Indies would host Scotland, Pakistan would host (in Dubai) Canada and Sri lanka would host Kenya
- The next tier of teams (Bermuda, Namibia, Tanzania, Denmark, UAE) host their own similar tournament.
- At the end of the season one of the top tier is relegated to the bottom tier, and one is put up in their place. If a team tops the top tier for 3 years straight, they are granted Test status.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:01 AM   #572
45:33

That would be sensational in my opinion, and work very well, but we all know it won't happen.

You should send it to the ICC mate!

Old 06-12-2009, 07:19 AM   #573
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post

My proposal would be something like

- Zimbabwae losing test status
- Ireland taking their place
- A major competition each year between the top 4-6 associates (atm Scotland, Kenya, Netherlands, Canada and Afghanistan would compete as there is a talent divide below them).
- Each side would play 2 home and away 'tests' each year against every other leading associate, totally 16 matches a year.
- Additionally, a full test nation will be required to accept a home tour against one of the leading associates every second year. (IE in year one NZ would host Afghanistan, SA would host the Netherlands, India would host Scotland, Australia would host Canada and England would host Kenya, in year two, Ireland would host Afghanistan, Bangladesh would host the Netherlands, West Indies would host Scotland, Pakistan would host (in Dubai) Canada and Sri lanka would host Kenya
- The next tier of teams (Bermuda, Namibia, Tanzania, Denmark, UAE) host their own similar tournament.
- At the end of the season one of the top tier is relegated to the bottom tier, and one is put up in their place. If a team tops the top tier for 3 years straight, they are granted Test status.
Good stuff

I had a rough plan similar to this where there were 3 divisions a few years back. Divisions of nine and relegation/promotion every 2 or 3 years or so, but I can't see the ICC implementing it and I can't see there being enough money in some of the third tier teams to travel as much as they would need to. The associates would get well smashed in the early days.

1. Oz
2. Pom
3. Windies
4. India
5. Sri Lanka
6. Pakistan
7. Kiwi
8. South Africa
9. Bangers

1. Zimbabwe
2. Ireland
3. Kenya
4. Netherlands
5. UAE
6. Namibia
7. Canada
8. Scotland

1. Bermuda
2. Afghanistan
3. France
4. Denmark
5. Fiji (Chee Quee)
6. Japan
7. China
8. USA

Bit of a dream because it all comes down to money, and it's just not there to sustain such a logical process of expanding the game internationally. India do have a bit though, but would they invest it in the cricket third-world?
Old 06-12-2009, 08:26 AM   #574

That's the other side of it... there would be some serious fucking rapings going on in some of the cross-division games.

You know the only, remote reason I'm interested in 20/20? To see sides like Ireland, Netherlands...
Old 06-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #575

25 fucking days, people. God I'm excited.

And we have functional SBS this time round!! Beers and snags will be had by all.

<-- is starting to think Lee will be harking back to his good old days of carting oranges.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #576
Refugee

Local Time: 06:12 PM
Windies battered india last night!
Then South Africa beat them today

NZ v Pakistan soon!

Ashes will not have same effect this time in UK as its on SKY
Last time it was on Channel 4 and everyone just stayed in and watched it, great viewing figures and great drama

Its a disgrace how Home tests are not on normal tv
Old 06-19-2009, 11:29 PM   #577

i called pakistan!

aren't the tests being showed on free-to-air over there mate? that's a strange one.. thank goodness for sbs, they're showing every ball. it's going to be much better than the summer we have coming up, the windies and pakistan i think..

been watching my cricket dvds as the ashes draws closer. bob willis may have been a great bowler for england, but what an irrepresibly boring man he has become.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:02 AM   #578
Refugee

nope
As football season has finished we got rid of sky
And as i'm at work there is no point having it as i wont see every ball
Highlights are on Channel 5 which is free
Old 06-21-2009, 01:08 AM   #579

wow that blows. every single ball from every single game during our summer gets shown live on free to air.

though it just won't be the same this year without richie. means more of mark nicholas. joy.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:08 PM   #580
Refugee

Struggling v Sussex i see

Hughes, what a load of tosh!
Old 06-24-2009, 11:21 PM   #581
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForIt View Post
Struggling v Sussex i see

Hughes, what a load of tosh!
haha gold! Watch Hughes' innings, he gave them no respect. I admire a 20 year old that can go up against first class cricketers and say in no uncertain terms "you are not good enough to command my full respect".

He smashed Kirtley. It was a good ball that got him, and he was being much more adventurous than he would in a proper game of cricket. If anything, I would be more worried if I was England.

PS: I would also be worried if I was England about Haddin being on form, and the prospect of a batting line-up that has johnson at 8, Lee at 9 and hauritz at 10!

Typical England fan though, a guy of 20 only scores 15 in his first bat in months and they are already on his back. I'd be looking in my own backyard before I pointed too many fingers!
Old 06-24-2009, 11:51 PM   #582
Refugee

We've got the megastar Ravinder Bopara so no worries here
Old 06-25-2009, 01:28 AM   #583
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForIt View Post
We've got the megastar Ravinder Bopara so no worries here
Suspect at best. He scored runs against a meager WI attack.

Intersting that Hughes has more test runs in half the matches, (all of which against the best bowling nation in the world).

Bopara is a county cricketer masquerading behind his inflated average.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:13 AM   #584
Refugee

Sir Freddie is back as well, just in time

and Shane Warne has been foaming at the mouth about Adil Rashid!
Old 06-25-2009, 11:19 PM   #585
ONE
love, blood, life

^ it wasn't adil rashid... it was some hokey shit his mum gave him to lose weight

Tags
cricket, world cup