The MMA Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And still Interim because of Aldo's contract dispute right now, I assume?

My anger about 206 can't really be put into words. I'm really, REALLY tired of AKA.

I thought it was also so they can call the main event at 206 some manner of a title fight since everyone at AKA has to pull out every other fight.

Mostly, because it is true. Conor is out as FW champ. Aldo and Frankie fought for interim Champ. Aldo had that, goes up to champ. Holloway deserved the next shot. So now winner of 206 is interim champ by virtue of winning, just like winner of Aldo- Frankie got that title. And winner of next fight is undisputed champ.

Yeah, but there's really no reason to have an interim champ at all. Aldo just fought in July.

There's always a when's Aldo going to fight next factor, whether it's pulling out of fights himself or because he's pissed about $$$. If Cormier was Aldo and not such a company man, how quick do you think we'd be seeing Rumble vs Bader* for an interim LHW title.

*i mean it would be a quick turn around since he just fought, but it could happen. But then again, how bad does that make you miss Jon Jones?

Last edited:
I will admit I have a strong Elliott bias, which would have made 48-47 a bad score, they could have all been 49-46
I don't think the 10-8s against him were that strong as he was never in danger of being ended

regardless, he had a good run this TUF season and looked legit, I think a lot of people thought Johnson would end the winner early, whoever it was.

edit to add
I watched both Bellators and this UFCthis weekend and saw some real odd scoring along the way, I don't think the wrong guy ever won, but there were some 29-28, 30-27, 27-30, stuff like that
so the 48-47 would not have been that outrageous

Last edited:
There was a weird disparity between the actual scores and stuff i saw people live tweeting while i was at work and unable to watch any of these fights. But there's so much wiggle room in what constitutes a 10-9 round anyway, and hyperbole that people get carried away in if a fight isn't going the way they imagined it would or if it's a surprise in any way really (i.e. someone from a tuf season winning a round over mighty mouse translates online to OMG MM IS GETTING DESTROYED). Usually though, i get a pretty solid idea of how fight went from the sources i read on the internet during/after and when i finally get around to watching it, i'm not terribly shocked by anything. A lot of fights this past weekend though, i have no idea what was going on. Either Cutelaba totally wrecked Cannonnier, or Cannonier weathered an early storm and is a guy to pay attention to for winning after almost getting demolished, or it was a split decision brawl that was a lot of fun to watch but will be forgotten in a few months after they both drop a few and get cut. People were losing their shit in no coherent way, to the point where MM was either dominating and controlling a fight he nearly got wrecked in the 1st on, or it was super close anyone's fight going into the 5th. I am not even sure everyone was watching the same fights based off the stuff i read.

:shrug:

That's why I always score after each round, and expected a 4-1 for Johnson.
It is easy to get caught up in exceeding expectations or one guy looking more entertaining to get one to like the wrong person to win.

I think it is possible, even likely Rousey gets a quick finish.
Then Holm wins featherweight belt, and we get a Rousey Holm 2 at 145.

is deep ok? there's a lack of angry rants about ronda recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom