Sochi 2014 - XXII Olympic Winter Games

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But I don't care who thinks it's silly, I can't wait for luge relay. I hope no one, like, dies or anything, but that's going to be a nightmare, no way it won't be.

X Games sports have very quickly become world competitions, Kotsenburg was not expected to be a medals contender he was a surprise and won by pulling off a ridiculous trick that he'd never tried before on his last jump. Canada was expected to contend for all 3 going in.

The originator of the sport always retains an edge in the cultural aspect that drives their athletes, to this day the Nordic countries especially Norway kick everyone's ass in cross country/ski jumping, Canada is better at curling, hockey, etc.

I realize that. But to have this many new events that lean heavily in the U. S. favor, it just puts me a little over the edge of frustration.

This is all very silly, btw, because outside of the Olympics, snowboarding is one of my favorite sports, period.

So, anyways, I'm gonna stop bitching now, because I'm seriously having a fantastic time with these olympics.

I mean, holy shit, I can watch the Olympics... Any and every event... On my phone. How awesome is that?

The film opens on documentary footage of the tragic story of Ski Ballet: A sport that once dominated the hearts and minds of the niche group of people who loved both skiing and ballet. After failing to become a true event after the 1992 Olympics, popularity died down greatly. By the year 2000, ski ballet was no more.

Cut to 2015. A young man, forced by his parents to participate in ballet is more interested in pursuing his love for winter sports, especially skiing. One day, through an internet message board he frequents, our hero discovers the once proud legacy of Ski Ballet. Thinking this is the ultimate opportunity to combine his passion and his obligations, by night he begins to learn acroski.

Once his secret is discovered, other members of his ballet class begin to join in his ski ballet practices, improving the morale of the team, as well as learning to ski. Soon, news spreads about the rebirth of ski ballet.

The climactic conclusion of the film takes place when Ski Ballet is once again demonstrated at the 2018 Winter Olympics. Again, tragically, it fails to become an official Olympic sport, but our hero has finally found true happiness and he skis away into the night.

Or something like that.

He'll play Ski Ballet legend, Alan Schoenberger, who comes out of retirement to help this rag tag group of kids get their shit together.

The ballet coach. He disapproves of this untraditional method of study, and pulls out all the stops in his attempt to sabotage ski ballet.

It may be juvenile, but it's hard not to be amused by the fact one of the Russians in the luge is called Semen Pavlichenko. No joke.

Steven Bradbury commentating the short track speed skating is hilariously perfect. Other countries don't know what they're missing.

I swear at one point this afternoon the figure skating commentators devolved into self-parody. I can't remember any of the names of the moves, but it was getting ridiculous at one point.

Ax is Bradbury's commentary entertainingly bad? Because when he was on some panel the other night he was just bad, in a bad way.

Honestly it's just more the novelty factor that it's Steven fuckin' Bradbury. He clearly knows a bit about speed skating. Tonight he didn't come across entirely comfortable in the commentary role but he hasn't totally embarrassed himself like he did a lot of his promo work. I'm not quite sure I'd call him competent, but I've also heard worse from some professional commentators (especially those idiots they pay to commentate rugby in this country and make the sport completely fucking unwatchable).

Nothing could possibly be worse than James Brayshaw and Garry Lyon commentating the rowing at the London Olympics. And I love them both.

My god it's so good to have Roy and HG back.

sure, they're very talented at skating on ice and I'm sure it's very difficult. but as Ax rightly says, it's fucking dancing on ice. it ain't a sport. it's rubbish, just like the synchronised swimming at the summer Olympics.

This is absolute bullshit. It's not dancing on ice. It's a sport.

Eta: saw ensuing comments but yeah still had to say it. Figure skating is pretty big here.

Back
Top Bottom