NHL 2014-2015 Season - Page 39 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2015, 09:19 PM   #571
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:24 PM
This seems like the year of the trade before the offer sheet.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:17 PM   #572
The Male

Local Time: 03:24 PM

I'm excited about Dano, at any rate. He won't immediately replicate Saad's production, but over time I think he could grow to be a perennial 50 point player like Saad.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #573
Blue Crack Addict

Fuck Toronto.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 07-01-2015, 01:16 PM   #574
ONE
love, blood, life

Can't imagine that huge of a contract would've garnered much more of a return.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:20 PM   #575
Blue Crack Addict

They're eating salary, taking back a contract and sending a pick as well? And didn't get shit for him?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 07-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #576
ONE
love, blood, life

The only questionable thing is flipping picks for 2nd and 3rd rounders next year. That's stupid.

Otherwise, what kind of return did you expect for a guy with an $8 million cap hit for the next 6 years? They got two top-5 organizational prospects and a conceivably mid-late 1st rounder. And one of the prospects is a defender, but already has the development years put in.

I can't imagine many teams want to be tied to huge contracts like this. It's not a question of his performance. It's a question of him making the most money on the team. His contract is hindering towards future development. It screams "cap trouble." Especially for a team like Pittsburgh, with so much money already tied up between two players. He wasn't going to get a big return. Pittsburgh is all in.

I mean, look at guys who have received such contracts in the past who were/are still good players. Hell, my team has two of them. Roberto Luongo and Brian Campbell. Look what they were acquired for? Next to nothing.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #577
ONE
love, blood, life

Granted, those guys were older than Kessel. But age is the difference as to why Campbell was had for free and Kessel was had for essentially a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:38 PM   #578
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
The only questionable thing is flipping picks for 2nd and 3rd rounders next year. That's stupid.

Otherwise, what kind of return did you expect for a guy with an $8 million cap hit for the next 6 years? They got two top-5 organizational prospects and a conceivably mid-late 1st rounder. And one of the prospects is a defender, but already has the development years put in.

I can't imagine many teams want to be tied to huge contracts like this. It's not a question of his performance. It's a question of him making the most money on the team. His contract is hindering towards future development. It screams "cap trouble." Especially for a team like Pittsburgh, with so much money already tied up between two players. He wasn't going to get a big return. Pittsburgh is all in.

I mean, look at guys who have received such contracts in the past who were/are still good players. Hell, my team has two of them. Roberto Luongo and Brian Campbell. Look what they were acquired for? Next to nothing.
Of course Pittsburgh already has money tied up in other players. That's why it was probably not a good idea for Toronto to trade with them in the first place. And it's not an $8 million cap hit, because they're eating some of the contract.

While long term it might not be a good idea for Pittsburgh to tie so much money in to so few players, that was highway robbery for Kessel. They dropped down a round, got rid of $2 million on the cap, had Toronto eat nearly $2 million of Kessel's cap, and gave up one good prospect. That's it.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:58 PM   #579
Blue Crack Addict

$100 bucks says Phil Kessel wins the Art Ross next year after this.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:18 PM   #580
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Of course Pittsburgh already has money tied up in other players. That's why it was probably not a good idea for Toronto to trade with them in the first place. And it's not an $8 million cap hit, because they're eating some of the contract.

While long term it might not be a good idea for Pittsburgh to tie so much money in to so few players, that was highway robbery for Kessel. They dropped down a round, got rid of $2 million on the cap, had Toronto eat nearly $2 million of Kessel's cap, and gave up one good prospect. That's it.

Again, go and look at what trades like this normally pull. This isn't highway robbery.

And 15% of 8 million is just above 1 million.

And they gave up two prospects.

I'm really curious to see what you think a fair deal would be here...
Old 07-01-2015, 05:58 PM   #581
Blue Crack Addict

I guess I'm of the opinion that a good player whose contract is an issue is never as valuable a trade commodity as they are a valuable piece on your own roster, and that you shouldn't need to trade those players. But we're talking about Toronto here, so I guess that I expected too much.

I'm just pissed that Pittsburgh got Crosby a big time goal scorer for one decent prospect, one coin flip, and didn't even have to pay the full $8mil to do it.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #582
ONE
love, blood, life

Yeah but I think the underlying issue was that Toronto needs that space for a guy who will lead their team. That's not Phil Kessel.

And thank you Boston. I like Jimmy Hayes and all, but I'll take yer Reilly Smith any day over him.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:41 AM   #583
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post

And thank you Boston. I like Jimmy Hayes and all, but I'll take yer Reilly Smith any day over him.
That's the price of taking Savard's contract. Smith will look great at times and will just disappear for long stretches, he'll probably frustrate you unless it just all finally clicks with him.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:51 AM   #584
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm not happy with the trade but I also understand it needed to be done.

Could we have got more value? Probably but his value is at an all time low thanks to his huge contract and worst season since joining the NHL. I also don't think it would have been smart to keep him for next season considering how shitty the team will be it would have further decreased his value.

So that's it, it's over. I'm pretty sure he'll score 40+ goals next season, something he could never do with the parade of lesser talent he's had to carry here and good for him if he does.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:29 PM   #585
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
That's the price of taking Savard's contract. Smith will look great at times and will just disappear for long stretches, he'll probably frustrate you unless it just all finally clicks with him.

Hayes is a big boy. 6'6" and he won't use any bit of that size.

He'll get super scrappy goals. Most of his production came because he was getting top ice time when the team was slumping. I'd say his numbers are sustainable but the ceiling is right there.