NBA Basketball 2007-08: The Thread Part II - Page 27 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:28 AM   #391
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:47 PM
well... at least it's not terry porter... i think

Old 06-10-2008, 08:30 AM   #392
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
I loved watching Olajuwon, amazing skill level especially for a big man. I'd take Hakeem over any center I've ever seen play though granted I'm too young to have seen Russell or Kareem at his peak.
honestly... what a privledge it was to watch the great low post players of the 80's and 90's. ya know, back when they had moves and weren't just athletic man-child freaks like dwight howard.

shit... rik smits very well might be the best center in the league if he played today, and he was like, oh i dunno, 6th best back in the day.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:51 AM   #393
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:47 AM
Just wait until that pillar of finesse Hasheem Thabeet hits the NBA

To be fair some of these guys (Ewing, Hakeem) were singular talents, and we were just fortunate enough to see them at pretty much the same time. I mean, nobody's killing the Rockets for passing on Jordan to pick Hakeem. The crop of centers in the league now are all just flawed...there's the athletic Howard types, the European finesse centers (Z, Pau), and Yao. And there's nobody coming along either; Greg Oden looks like another of these limited offensive bigs that the league is filled with.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:59 AM   #394
Blue Crack Distributor

i hate haseem thabet.

and pau's not a center. or at least shouldn't be. he should be a 4.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:28 AM   #395
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Little is known about his basketball philosophy since he never has coached before. Del Negro interviewed for the Suns' coaching job that Terry Porter landed on Saturday, but failed to make Kerr's list of four finalists.
I guess Del Negro didn't have the time to make an impresion on steve kerr in his short interview period. Maybe it was because his previous job took up to much of his time, his previous job of course being STEVE KERR'S ASSISTANT.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:28 AM   #396
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
Just wait until that pillar of finesse Hasheem Thabeet hits the NBA

To be fair some of these guys (Ewing, Hakeem) were singular talents, and we were just fortunate enough to see them at pretty much the same time. I mean, nobody's killing the Rockets for passing on Jordan to pick Hakeem. The crop of centers in the league now are all just flawed...there's the athletic Howard types, the European finesse centers (Z, Pau), and Yao. And there's nobody coming along either; Greg Oden looks like another of these limited offensive bigs that the league is filled with.
Ewing didn't really have great lowpost moves....he developed into a nice shooter, though. The thing about Hakeem, is, he WAS a man-child when he got to the NBA. Check out his college highlights....not a lot of actual moves...but he worked his fucking ass off, and became about as polished downlow as one can get. How much time does Howard spend on footwork, as opposed to dreaming up his next amazing dunk?
Old 06-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #397
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Ewing didn't really have great lowpost moves....he developed into a nice shooter, though. The thing about Hakeem, is, he WAS a man-child when he got to the NBA. Check out his college highlights....not a lot of actual moves...but he worked his fucking ass off, and became about as polished downlow as one can get. How much time does Howard spend on footwork, as opposed to dreaming up his next amazing dunk?
ewing didn't have the flashy moves that olajuwon had but he had an amazing understanding of the single most important thing a post player needs to, um, understand... how to use your oppoents body and weight to your advantage. he was a master of getting a guy to lean a certain way and then going the opposite direction, be it the baseline fall away jumper or the pattened ewing 2 & 1/2 step runner in the lane. he was also a tremendous passer from the post, a lost art gone the way of the mid-range jumper, which ewing was also great at
Old 06-10-2008, 11:05 AM   #398
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
ewing didn't have the flashy moves that olajuwon had but he had an amazing understanding of the single most important thing a post player needs to, um, understand... how to use your oppoents body and weight to your advantage. he was a master of getting a guy to lean a certain way and then going the opposite direction, be it the baseline fall away jumper or the pattened ewing 2 & 1/2 step runner in the lane. he was also a tremendous passer from the post, a lost art gone the way of the mid-range jumper, which ewing was also great at
Agreed. Forgot about his little runner.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:07 AM   #399
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:47 AM
Well clearly Howard hasn't been spending enough time on his dunks since he didn't come up with the cupcake one...slacker.

You're right about Ewing, he kind of went more with that short jumper of his but still a skill move as opposed to being a one-dimensional dunker. Ewing actually developed some nice range for a guy his size.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #400
Blue Crack Distributor

ewing was money from 15 feet.

ahhh memories...
YouTube - NBA on NBC 1994 Knicks/Pacers Game 7 Finish - Part 2/2
Old 06-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #401
Blue Crack Distributor

a courtside observation of kobe bryant, by none other than basketball guru curt schilling

Quote:
Kobe. This one stunned me a little bit. Who doesn’t know Kobe Bryant right? I only know what I have heard, starting awhile back with the entire Shaq debacle. I don’t really have an opinion one way or the other on or about him other than to know that people feel he might be one of the 4-5 greatest players to ever lace it up. What I do know is what I got to see up close and hear, was unexpected. From the first tip until about 4 minutes left in the game I saw and heard this guy bitch at his teammates. Every TO he came to the bench pissed, and a few of them he went to other guys and yelled about something they weren’t doing, or something they did wrong. No dialog about “hey let’s go, let’s get after it” or whatever. He spent the better part of 3.5 quarters pissed off and ranting at the non-execution or lack of, of his team. Then when they made what almost was a historic run in the 4th, during a TO, he got down on the floor and basically said ‘Let’s f’ing go, right now, right here” or something to that affect. I am not making this observation in a good or bad way, I have no idea how the guys in the NBA play or do things like this, but I thought it was a fascinating bit of insight for me to watch someone in another sport who is in the position of a team leader and how he interacted with his team and teammates. Watching the other 11 guys, every time out it was high fives and “Hey nice work, let’s get after it” or something to that affect. He walked off the floor, obligatory skin contact on the high five, and sat on the bench stone faced or pissed off, the whole game. Just weird to see another sport and how it all works. I would assume that’s his style and how he plays and what works for him because when I saw the leader board for scoring in the post season his name sat up top at 31+ a game, can’t argue with that. But as a fan I was watching the whole thing, Kobe, his teammates and then the after effects of conversations. He’d yell at someone, make a point, or send a message, turn and walk away, and more than once the person on the other end would roll eyes or give a ‘whatever dude’ look.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #402
Blue Crack Supplier

Yes, and when Schilling throws a hissy fit when a manager yanks him from a game, that instills a lot of confidence in the bullpen.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #403
Blue Crack Addict

I was wondering when someone would post Schilling's musings on Kobe.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:40 PM   #404
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:47 PM
Thanks for posting that, Headache, it's pretty interesting I guess.

But, it's Curt Schilling. You have to take what he says about the game of BASKETBALL with a pretty big grain of salt.

Bloody socks and all.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #405
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Bloody socks and all.
Do I even want to know what you mean by this?

Tags
basketball, nba