National Hockey League 2010-2011 - Page 66 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #976
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Canadiens1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,363
Local Time: 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
Not too sad to see Burns go--our only All Star this past year, but our defense still sucked.
Maybe the better defense will be a good offense?

I think it's safe to say that this will be a fun season to watch, but I'm not expecting too much. Glad that if we gave up a great 26-yr-old, we are getting a great 24-yr-old.

Wild Pulls Off Blockbuster With San Jose - Minnesota Wild | 2011 NHL Entry Draft
The announcement of that Wild trade on the floor of the arena during the draft was brilliant to watch.
__________________

__________________
Canadiens1131 is offline  
Old 06-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #977
Refugee
 
Bluer White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,883
Local Time: 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramwest1 View Post
Not too sad to see Burns go--our only All Star this past year, but our defense still sucked.
Maybe the better defense will be a good offense?
I don't think Burns would have been re-signed next summer. Deal made sense for both teams
__________________

__________________
Bluer White is offline  
Old 06-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #978
has a
 
kramwest1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Not a toliet wall
Posts: 6,939
Local Time: 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluer White View Post
I don't think Burns would have been re-signed next summer. Deal made sense for both teams
What do you think of Yeo?
__________________
Bread & Circuses
kramwest1 is offline  
Old 06-27-2011, 04:50 PM   #979
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,367
Local Time: 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
You need a healthy balance, though. I don't mind small players, but if there's too many on one team then there's a problem. In the case of Montreal, they're littered with small, quick players, and I was closely watching if they were drafting bigger players this time around. In some instances they drafted players 6'1" or taller, which pleased me because they need that size. Although their third round pick is a small offensive dynamo who's 5'9" or thereabouts, so we'll see how that pans out.
Definitely, when you're constructing a team you can't be undersized. But I believe the point was that the scouts in particular give a guy like Grimaldi much less value than his talent shows.

That's not because they don't want a small player on the team. It's because they fear a small player like Grimaldi might have a tough time adjusting to the NHL or translating his talent into NHL talent because of his size. It's why he in particular was passed on by 32 other players.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 06-28-2011, 02:24 AM   #980
Blue Crack Addict
 
bono_man2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the wrong band
Posts: 28,357
Local Time: 02:48 AM
Looks like Bieksa has re-signed for the canucks.

Bieksa Set To Re-Sign with Canucks | TEAM Radio | TEAM 1040 AM | TEAM 1410 AM | Home of Vancouver Canucks and BC Lions

What I don't get in American sports mostly, how new contracts for 30+ year olds seem to be for long term periods? Its a big deal in Australia if someone signs anything more than a two year deal in say the AFL.
__________________
bono_man2002 is offline  
Old 06-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #981
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,874
Local Time: 10:48 AM
Because years matter just as much as money so it's part of the bargaining. The team that offers you an extra year or two at the same salary is the team that gets the player.
__________________
PhilsFan is online now  
Old 06-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #982
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,874
Local Time: 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Sources are indicating a deal for Stamkos is definitely being talked about, though the Flyers aren't the only team in the mix.
The Flyers are considering an attempt to offer out of Tampa's price range.
__________________
PhilsFan is online now  
Old 06-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #983
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,367
Local Time: 10:48 AM
You know what sucks about offer sheets? They only work for teams that meet two characteristics:

1. Rich teams
2. Good teams

So what if you lose your next 4 1st round picks? They're late 1st round picks anyways. If we offered up, we could potentially be losing 1-4 top 10 picks. Oh, and we can't afford to offer up 11m a season.

I still think it's a stupid idea for the Flyers. You're just going to piss people off with an offer sheet for a seemingly untouchable player. If you want Stamkos, get him through a trade like a gentleman or don't do it at all.

In fact, it would probably be a whole lot easier on the Flyers to get Stamkos through a trade, too. You could send salary back the other way.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 06-28-2011, 08:05 PM   #984
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,874
Local Time: 10:48 AM
In a league with $16 million between the cap floor (48) and the cap ceiling (64), it's difficult for me to understand the rich vs. poor argument.

I'm not sure how I feel about some sort of godfather offer for Stamkos. I'll have to look more into the potential deal here.
__________________
PhilsFan is online now  
Old 06-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #985
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,664
Local Time: 11:48 AM
I remember when Philly signed Ryan Kesler to an exorbitant offer sheet and most people wondered: who? He had 5-10 goals at the time and only 2 or 3 years of experience.

Seems they were right about that guy.
__________________

BoMac is offline  
Old 06-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #986
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,367
Local Time: 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
In a league with $16 million between the cap floor (48) and the cap ceiling (64), it's difficult for me to understand the rich vs. poor argument.

I'm not sure how I feel about some sort of godfather offer for Stamkos. I'll have to look more into the potential deal here.

In a league where cap hit is especially important and there are several ways to circumvent the cap, the difference is a little larger than it seems. I'm sure you know how cap hit works, but a team doesn't necessarily need to pay off the minimum (or the maximum for that matter).

While the difference is still pretty small, you've got to forget the fact that other sports have larger cap differences as well. It's all relative to the league. Teams like the Islanders and Panthers simply don't have the physical cash to spend every season, unlike the Flyers who probably have more money than the cap allows. Ideally, the Flyers can get whatever they want. The Panthers can't exactly spend to the cap without going under.

And the point behind the Stamkos godfather offer as you say is that Tampa Bay WILL match any deal presented by Philly because 4 Philly 1st round picks are not worth Steven Stamkos. They'll match the deal, and then they'll be pissed off with Philly because they'll have to get rid of other players that they can no longer afford.
__________________
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Old 06-28-2011, 10:42 PM   #987
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,874
Local Time: 10:48 AM
I agree to an extent, and there are questions about whether Tampa has the cash to pony up for Stamkos if a Philly or a Toronto makes a big play for him.

The Flyers have a shit ton of money. They could reach the cap if it was $120 million, especially now that Spectacor is selling the Sixers.
__________________
PhilsFan is online now  
Old 06-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #988
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Canadiens1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,363
Local Time: 11:48 AM
It sure has been fun trolling TBL fans with the Stamkos talk this past week or two. Too bad, he looks so nice in the new jersey on the NHL 12 cover.



Oh well
__________________
Canadiens1131 is offline  
Old 07-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #989
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,874
Local Time: 10:48 AM
Flyers sign Jagr, Talbot, and Lilja, lock up Voracek, trade Versteeg to the LN7's, and now may be making a play for Brad Richards. They lose Ville Leino, who signs a deal with Buffalo.

I have no idea how I feel about all this.
__________________
PhilsFan is online now  
Old 07-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #990
ONE
love, blood, life
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Leicester, UK
Posts: 12,367
Local Time: 10:48 AM
The Jagr bit will be interesting to say the least.

Told ya the Versteeg deal was bound to happen one way or another.

Looks like the PhilsFans and the Panthers have gone out and monopolized on the FA market...

Panthers nabbed Jose Theodore, Scottie Upshall, Tomas Fleischmann, Marcel Goc, Ed Jovonovski, and Kris Versteeg. Likely to lose Vokoun unless a Clemmensen trade is in the works. Gotta sign Santorelli and Matthias which will put us just at the cap... wont be surprised if the Panthers make a big move via trade though.
__________________

__________________
LuckyNumber7 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com