Mlb 2018 - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2019, 05:54 AM   #466
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
I wonder if he’ll be a part of any playoff wins over the life of the new contract?

The Angels are one of my least favorite teams. Mike Trout is one of my favorite players. The light at the end of the tunnel just went out.
I'm gonna be bold and say that, yes, Trout will a part of some playoff wins. Like any team, if the Angels have good pitching, they can win a World Series. Plus, keep in mind, if they continue to suck, Trout/Angels can agree to a trade, so nothing's truly locked in.

Meanwhile, I wonder what Aaron Judge will make? 40 mil per season?

MrPryck2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:05 AM   #467
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
I'm gonna be bold and say that, yes, Trout will a part of some playoff wins. Like any team, if the Angels have good pitching, they can win a World Series. Plus, keep in mind, if they continue to suck, Trout/Angels can agree to a trade, so nothing's truly locked in.

Aaron Judge has a long ass way to go before he should sniff 30 million a year, let alone 40.

Headache in a Suitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:00 AM   #468
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:11 AM
Well yes, he has 4 years of control before free agency. He's also going to be 31 when he becomes an FA.

The template for Judge's contract is Bregman's extension. 6/100 or thereabouts. Perhaps a little higher since home runs pay more in arbitration.
gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #469
Blue Crack Distributor

There will also be a big ole labor strife between now and then, so nobody knows what the MLB financial world will look like.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:35 AM   #470
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 06:11 AM
Yeah, though it looks like MLB is trying to discreetly preempt this by giving the players some concessions. I doubt it will be enough (and it shouldn't).

It's crazy to me how MLB contracts have stagnated over a loooong period of time when the value of franchises increased exponentially. This Fangraphs article on Trout was interesting in this aspect: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mike-tro...e-table-again/

In 2019 value, A-Rod's first contract - signed almost 20 years ago! - would be worth 10/592. Jeter's extension would be worth 10/444. Kevin Brown's (!) contract would be worth 7/297. The list goes on. And all of those contracts were signed when the baseball economy was much less healthy than it is today.
gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #471
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
Yeah, though it looks like MLB is trying to discreetly preempt this by giving the players some concessions. I doubt it will be enough (and it shouldn't).

It's crazy to me how MLB contracts have stagnated over a loooong period of time when the value of franchises increased exponentially. This Fangraphs article on Trout was interesting in this aspect: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mike-tro...e-table-again/

In 2019 value, A-Rod's first contract - signed almost 20 years ago! - would be worth 10/592. Jeter's extension would be worth 10/444. Kevin Brown's (!) contract would be worth 7/297. The list goes on. And all of those contracts were signed when the baseball economy was much less healthy than it is today.
I can't really blame management for getting smarter with how they give out contracts. The Arod contract is a perfect example of that... Texas gave him a contract that nobody else was coming close to. I think they outbid Atlanta by like 100 million.

Something obviously needs to change regarding service time and how early players can get their money and/or hit free agency. But these were all things that the veteran players didn't give a turkey about when they negotiated the CBA because the owners couldn't get out of their own way to hand out dumb money. So there's plenty of blame to go around.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:38 PM   #472
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:11 AM
Mlb 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post

Zero playoff wins for Trout in 8 years so far. And they have a mostly bad farm aside from a couple of their top guys. Based on Trout’s salary and the luxury tax line, the Angels are gonna have to find 40+ WAR for $160m to sniff the playoffs to begin with. Pujols, Upton, Simmons, and Cozart chew up $75m of that for the next two seasons and will probably project for about 10 WAR between them. So they’ll have to find 30+ WAR for $85m. That would take a ton of young talent. And you know what’s missing from their top earners? Pitching. Ohtani could change that whenever he can pitch again.

I think there’ll be a decent fight for 3rd place in the AL West between the Angels and Mariners over the next 3-4 years.

the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote