London 2012 Summer Olympics - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #106
45:33

Local Time: 09:41 PM

Old 07-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #107
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I do think the games need to be rejigged a bit. Because, honestly. Who gives a fuck about equestrian? Or synchronised swimming?
I don't know why you'd say equestrian, since that's hugely popular (well, the showjumping and cross country is; the less said about the snoozefest of the dressage, the better), but sychronised swimming has to go. Sure, that'll upset about three people, but they'll get over it ... and just switch over to the synchronised diving, which is rather awesome.

As for the amount of sports, I suppose there is something of a problem in that everybody wants "their" sport recognised as an Olympic sport but there's only so much time. I like a large, diverse Olympics though - if you find one event boring, it's not hard to find something else on that day that you like. That said, I'd be inclined to suggest that team sports should only be included when an Olympic medal is one of the highest honours in the sport. That would exclude soccer, despite its global popularity, because an Olympic medal means nothing compared to even a half-decent placing in a World Cup. Does anybody in Australia even remember how well any Aussie soccer team has ever performed in the Olympics? Meanwhile, I think the entire country still remembers that World Cup match in 2006.

I am very pleased that rugby sevens will be added at the 2016 games. It can be held over just a weekend, so it's much quicker than your average Olympic team sport, it doesn't require any special venues, it's been very successful in the Commonwealth Games, and it gives a good number of smaller countries a realistic medal chance that they've never had before, e.g. Fiji. It'd be a much better fit than some of the stuff currently in the programme.

Plus it's hopefully another gold for New Zealand. We've never lost a rugby sevens match in the Commonwealth Games.

I'm a bit skeptical about this push by some people to get Twenty20 cricket added to the Olympics though ...

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #108

Well, I was referring to dressage. Forgot about the others. Who the fuck finds dressage even remotely interesting?

Watch this. This is fucking hilarious.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #109
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:41 AM
Quote:

Dude could have (and should have) just ducked under the hurdles.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #110
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Well, I was referring to dressage. Forgot about the others. Who the fuck finds dressage even remotely interesting?
Ask Charlotte. She defends it every time I rubbish it!

But then she practically grew up on a horse.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson

Dude could have (and should have) just ducked under the hurdles.
My favourite bit is that after about three hurdles he doesn't even bother to jump anymore
Old 07-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #112
I hate this place

Local Time: 03:41 AM

there's one version of that video with "you're the best" from one of the karate kid movies mixed in. always make me laugh.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #113
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:41 AM
Quote:

This has got to go viral - it has to! I'm going to try to share this on FB and Twitter.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:27 AM   #114
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLanePHINS
I

I watch more Women's Soccer than Men's at the Olympics, but I do enjoy seeing some of the future men's stars. Women's has some continued storylines from the WWC, though its still not as good as the previous years womens world cup.

Last year's World Cup was amazing. Great drama, there should be a highlights DVD of the tournament.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #115
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver
I'm a bit skeptical about this push by some people to get Twenty20 cricket added to the Olympics though ...
Cricket? It would never, ever qualify. You need x number of countries, with a spread representing all continents, all playing to an acceptable standard. A small number of ex colonies of varying standard falls way short. Even rugby doesn't stand a chance and it is legitimately far more global than cricket.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #116

The only reason I don't want to see cricket in there is because 20/20 is a shit game.

There was a quidditch exhibition match a few days ago in Oxford. I did a story on some of the Australian players, and when I jokingly asked if they'd like to see quidditch in the Olympics, one of them quite seriously said "we'd like to think so, within about 20 years"
Old 07-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #117
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
The only reason I don't want to see cricket in there is because 20/20 is a shit game.

There was a quidditch exhibition match a few days ago in Oxford. I did a story on some of the Australian players, and when I jokingly asked if they'd like to see quidditch in the Olympics, one of them quite seriously said "we'd like to think so, within about 20 years"
Perhaps in 20 years we'll have perfected the flying broom.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:36 PM   #118
Refugee

HAHA at that drinking game. Kerri Strug! I think she's going to be doing coverage for NBC. Lots of shots.

"Fit Kid, Fat Parents"
Old 07-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #119
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:41 AM
I've got to pick a men's soccer/football team to pull for.
I'm thinking New Zealand.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #120
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:41 AM
Just want to share this inspirational story here...

Quote:
Oksana Chusovitina shouldn't be here. Not wearing a leotard anyway. A coach's sweat suit maybe, but certainly not a uniform.

Yet there the well-traveled 37-year-old was on Thursday, grinding through gymnastics podium training at The O2 Arena with German teammates closer in age to her 12-year-old son Alisher.
Precise on beam. Powerful on vault. Same as it ever was for one of the most remarkable athletes of her generation.
In a sport where 20 can be considered ancient (just ask the recently retired Shawn Johnson), London will be Chusovitina's sixth Olympics.
Yes. Sixth.
At 37, German gymnast Oksana Chusovitina still going strong