Kentucky Derby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cool story. Nice to see a long-shot win. :)

I can't quite face watching horse racing live anymore, so I wait until I make sure no one broke down before watching.

I enjoy watching the BIG races and I usually tune in when the horses hit the gate...but I'm really lost when it comes to betting...

Does anyone know...if the odds were 50-1, does that mean for every one dollar I bet, I get 50 back......a $10 bet would get me what, $500 ???

* and yes, this jockey and that horse ran one helluva race....

50-1 -- $50 for every dollar bet, yes. I believe it was $103 return for a minimum $2 bet, so ever so slightly better than 50-1 odds.

Superfecta would have paid $557,000 for a $2 bet.

The jockey certainly acted like a complete tool when riding off after the race.

AFP: Rachel Alexandra to get shot at piece of Triple Crown

LOUISVILLE, Kentucky (AFP) — Filly Rachel Alexandra is poised to get her shot at a slice of Triple Crown glory at the Preakness Stakes - with Kentucky Derby-winning jockey Calvin Borel aboard.

Borel piloted Rachel Alexandra to a spectacular 20 1/4-length victory in the Kentucky Oaks for fillies on May 1.

The next day he guided Mine That Bird to an upset triumph in the Kentucky Derby, the first jewell in US flat racing's triple crown.

Borel said he had no hesitation in switching mounts for the Preakness, especially to a filly that many believed could have won the Derby if her connections had elected to run her there rather than in the Oaks.

"She's a once-in-a-lifetime horse," Borel said.

"It came down to the facts that he knows and loves this horse, that he knows how to get the most from her and he knows how to win," said Stonestreet Stables owner Jess Jackson, who said Friday he was aiming the filly toward the May 16 Preakness. "They were an amazing team at the Kentucky Oaks."

Jackson and partner Harold McCormick bought Rachel Alexandra on Wednesday and immediately moved her into the barn of trainer Steve Asmussen.

Trainer Hal Wiggins, who saddled Rachel Alexandra for seven wins in 10 career starts - including her Oaks romp - was philosophical.

"We have that empty stall right now and it's hard, but we all realize it's part of the business," Wiggins said. "We were blessed to have her and experience the joy of winning the Oaks here."

Mine That Bird trainer Bennie "Chip" Woolley was equally philosophical, saying he understood why Borel wouldn't pass up a chance to ride a horse of Rachel Alexandra's caliber.

"We hate losing Calvin, he's the reason we're here," Woolley said. "But these things happen and we'll move on."

Woolley said he still planned to name Borel as his jockey at the Preakness draw on Wednesday, and he will go to another rider once Jackson has paid a 100,000-dollar supplemental fee required to enter Rachel Alexandra in the Preakness

The filly wins the Preakness:D and it appears Mine That Bird is not a fluke.:applaud::D

The filly wins the Woodward. First filly to ever win that stakes race....against older boys. Close race. She had some competition today.

and shouldnt have been Zenyatta is the far better horse and probably the best horse in the last 25 years. Rachel couldnt even beat Zenyattas stable mate.

Back
Top Bottom