College Football 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Auburn beating Mizzou would be enough for the computers to throw them ahead of tOSU regardless of the B1G title game result.

I think Auburn beating Mizzou would be enough for the computers to throw them ahead of tOSU regardless of the B1G title game result.

And the AP poll has them with 2 first-place votes at #3 while The Ohio State University has 0 at #2.

My bet is most of this talk will be moot on account of Ohio State losing to Michigan State next week.

My bet is most of this talk will be moot on account of Ohio State losing to Michigan State next week.

Michigan State's defense is stout as hell, but they can't score. Ohio State can score in bunches but can't stop anyone. The Ohio State University may have a slight edge, even if it's slight the SEC winner may still overtake them.

I forgot about the title game, but I still think tOSU will be #2 THIS week.

This is one of the more exciting ends to a season we've had in a while (though I realize that last season shook up in the last week, there really wasn't much of a question of who was going in their place).

Its all set up for Alabama to fall backwards into the title game yet again...Mich State beats tOSU and Winston is shackled Friday and Duke wins the ACC title game, Bama vs winner of Auburn/Missouri...huzzah. Neutral football fans rejoice yet again.

Don't sleep on Duke. Cutcliffe will have a few wrinkles, their QB is quite good. Should the hammer fall on Winston I think they win easily.

Winston will play in the ACC title game; the state attorney's decision won't be until the following week.

It's the title game he will probably miss out on. Even then, it's a month out and I have very little doubt that he'll magically be cleared to play.

Coaches poll is out. UCF moves up three spots because 3 teams ahead of them lost. That's how it works.

This is just a bit of Non-AQ paranoia from back in my TCU days, but I wonder if they moved them up to save them from more NIU embarrassment in their last year. UCF needs to jump NIU to stop NIU making a bowl:

A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or
B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.

This is just a bit of Non-AQ paranoia from back in my TCU days, but I wonder if they moved them up to save them from more NIU embarrassment in their last year. UCF needs to jump NIU to stop NIU making a bowl:

A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or
B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.

I don't see where it says the other team loses their AQ... it's just one less at large selection?

Or are you just saying the BCS itself is trying to eliminate too many "no-name" teams?

If you're not in the top 16, you shouldn't go to a BCS bowl. Hell, top 12. The system sucks and I'm glad they're changing it.

Or are you just saying the BCS itself is trying to eliminate too many "no-name" teams?

This, I wasn't so much targeting UCF in that post as I was pointing out how much of a disaster not great NIU was last year.

No matter what they do, though, if we end another season with two undefeated teams, it will be a glorious slap in the face to this ludicrous system.

If you're not in the top 16, you shouldn't go to a BCS bowl. Hell, top 12. The system sucks and I'm glad they're changing it.

I have a problem with how teams get ranked more than how they choose who goes...

There's a bias based upon names alone. And name bias aside even, the idea of power rankings inserts a totally different type of bias, where a team is "expected" to be at value x early on and that weights them down. Order of schedule means everything then.

This past weekend was one of the most awesome weekends of College Football I've ever seen. So many amazing/close games, with a lot on the line, be it National title implications or just bragging rights/trophies between rivals. I'm not gonna lose much sleep over the BCS rankings and who goes to what Bowl because it's the same shit, different schools every single year. I'll instead opt to just continue to enjoy remembering what unfolded on Saturday. Not saying that my approach is right, or wrong, just saying that I wish sports fans could every once in a while just bask a bit in what happened instead of immediately debating the aftermath.

I have a problem with how teams get ranked more than how they choose who goes...

There's a bias based upon names alone. And name bias aside even, the idea of power rankings inserts a totally different type of bias, where a team is "expected" to be at value x early on and that weights them down. Order of schedule means everything then.

Agreed, the system is fundamentally broken from the top down. But then college football changes it every 5-10 years and has yet to find one that pleases everybody, so perhaps that perfect compromise doesn't exist.

This past weekend was one of the most awesome weekends of College Football I've ever seen. So many amazing/close games, with a lot on the line, be it National title implications or just bragging rights/trophies between rivals. I'm not gonna lose much sleep over the BCS rankings and who goes to what Bowl because it's the same shit, different schools every single year. I'll instead opt to just continue to enjoy remembering what unfolded on Saturday. Not saying that my approach is right, or wrong, just saying that I wish sports fans could every once in a while just bask a bit in what happened instead of immediately debating the aftermath.

So, then, I suppose you have the right attitude for now. Let's just enjoy the fruits of our crappy, broken league until the offseason, when we'll have all the time in the world to complain.

Oh, I enjoyed the shit out of this past weekend with that incredible finish, Penn State's mammoth upset and Villanova kicking ass down in the Bahamas.

Also, Penn State has let two assistant coaches go, including their linebacker coach who is considered one of the best in the nation. Kind of odd. Maybe they're moving to a 3-4? Still, he's one of their top recruiters.

Debating how much the BCS sucks is almost part of what I love about College Football, though. I love the games so much and I also love to talk about the implications of those games, there's no other sport with such a ridiculous system, it seems almost impossible not to link the two.

It's all part of the fun for me.

That being said, last weekend was awesome and I think this weekend is going to be even better.

I can't tell you what it meant to me to see that end to TCU's season. Did we lose? Hell yeah. But did we keep it within 3 points? Hell yeah.

Back
Top Bottom