Another 2011 AFL thread - still pretending GWS is all just a bad dream - Page 66 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 06:30 AM   #976
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
2 points in 14 minutes is enough offensive output to give any team a chance to steal the lead, but the Roos are bringing this into some Port vs. Bye territory.

EDIT: 10 minutes left before quarter time and our 2 points still doubles theirs.
i've seen faster scoring baseball games.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:39 AM   #977
The Male

Local Time: 05:31 AM
I liked when a Carlton goal was set up 30m out and we managed to kick it laterally, out of bounds.

Now.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:37 AM   #978
The Male

Hahahaha this game just keeps getting worse. Every player on each side wound up on the ground holding an appendage at some point in that quarter.

Carlton - Can't score a goal to save their fucking lives. I never thought I would be this nervous watching Carlton attempt a goal...maybe Gold Coast or Port. This shit isn't professional in any case.
Roos - Can't attempt a disposal without flubbing it in some way. We are absolutely slaughtering them in marks right now. I feel as if they're unable to distinguish between shades of blue, like this post would be illegible to a North player.

Now.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #979
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:31 AM
Never thought I'd find myself barracking for Carlton : shudder :, but the thought of North Melbourne leapfrogging Essendon on the ladder was just too nauseating, so I sold my soul to the devil and I'm glad Carlton made it over the line in the end.

Hopefully next week I can go back to hating them. Don't remember who they're playing.

Quote:
I liked when a Carlton goal was set up 30m out and we managed to kick it laterally, out of bounds.
That was too funny/tragic.

Quote:
I feel as if they're unable to distinguish between shades of blue, like this post would be illegible to a North player.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #980
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Hopefully next week I can go back to hating them. Don't remember who they're playing.
Melbourne, who couldn't interest me less. Our last match against them was embarrassing; rained a great deal, I believe, so the ball was like greased flubber. We won like 20-5 or something. Anyway, it's a home game, so I'll tip them without bias.

Judd really won the game for us. Definitely a monkey-see-monkey-do situation: once his teammates realized it was legal to kick a goal from 50m out, they jumped right on board. I shouted out probably the strangest exclamation my neighbors have ever heard (and this is an apartment filled with young adults) when he managed that goal: "JUDDDIIIEEEEEE!!!!! CARN BLOOOOZZEEE"

Now.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:26 AM   #981
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:01 AM
Quote:
I shouted out probably the strangest exclamation my neighbors have ever heard (and this is an apartment filled with young adults) when he managed that goal: "JUDDDIIIEEEEEE!!!!! CARN BLOOOOZZEEE"
In an Australian accent?
Old 07-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #982
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
In an Australian accent?
How else?

Now.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #983
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:01 AM
Splendid.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:39 AM   #984
45:33

Can't believe he's still paying more than $2 for the Brownlow. Nothing is more certain.

Trying to decide whether I can get on the Judd Brownlow/Franklin Coleman/Collingwood premiers triple. In my heart of hearts I don't think I can.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:05 PM   #985
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Melbourne, who couldn't interest me less. Our last match against them was embarrassing; rained a great deal, I believe, so the ball was like greased flubber. We won like 20-5 or something. Anyway, it's a home game, so I'll tip them without bias.
Being home or away when it's a game between two Melbourne-based teams is practically meaningless nowadays, since there are only two inner-city venues instead of all the old suburban grounds.

(Though there keeps being talk of Carlton re-using Princes Park for actual fixtures. Anybody know if that's still on the table or dead in the water now?)

Quote:
I shouted out probably the strangest exclamation my neighbors have ever heard (and this is an apartment filled with young adults) when he managed that goal: "JUDDDIIIEEEEEE!!!!! CARN BLOOOOZZEEE"
You're doing us proud.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #986

I think we'll see games at Eureka Stadium in North Ballarat before we see games at Optus Oval again. (Not being sarcastic, I think there will be games there in a few years. North vs Port, etc)
Old 07-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #987
Vocal parasite

Seriously, what is the hostility to using the suburban grounds? Obviously the MCG is preferable for really big clashes like Collingwood vs Carlton vs Essendon, but I really don't see why the Bombers for example shouldn't play their more minor games (say, North, Bulldogs, Port, Gold Coast) at Windy Hill, somewhere with actual atmosphere and heritage, rather than a soulless and half-empty Etihad.

Well, besides the fact that apparently Windy Hill has gone to shit and Essendon's soon to move its base to somewhere in Tullamarine.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #988
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:31 AM
i know a lot of afl fans give the nrl shit for still using suburban grounds, but a packed leichhardt oval is infinitely preferable to a 30% full anz stadium.

places like melbourne's new stadium are the exception, because it's right sized for the job.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #989

You get around the city, you'd have seen the state of the suburban grounds? It would be impossible, logistically. I walked past Glenferrie Oval the other day. It's on a narrow street in a residential area. You couldn't play Hawthorn vs Frankston there. I've seen that, Whitten Oval, Princes Park and Windy Hill, and logistically, you couldn't play AFL games there. No way in hell.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #990
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
You get around the city, you'd have seen the state of the suburban grounds? It would be impossible, logistically. I walked past Glenferrie Oval the other day. It's on a narrow street in a residential area. You couldn't play Hawthorn vs Frankston there. I've seen that, Whitten Oval, Princes Park and Windy Hill, and logistically, you couldn't play AFL games there. No way in hell.
How's it any more logistically difficult than it was 30 years ago?

Windy Hill in terms of public access could hardly be better located - a high-capacity tram line and a railway station basically right next door (and until a few years ago, a tram spur ran from Fletcher St right up to the gates), and Citylink is not far. Princes Park is similar - shitloads of trams on Royal Parade, a stone's throw from Jewell station, and Citylink and the Eastern Freeway are both pretty close.

Obviously some wouldn't be used again - I'm surprised anything is held at Arden St Oval these days - but I don't think they should all be written off.

Gig pictures | Blog
Closed Thread