2011 Australian Open

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fucking Roddick.

Being a fan of that guy has taken years off of my life, I swear.

Such an immense talent, but he's never been able to find consistency. And, when he was younger and in the true prime of his career, he couldn't leap the Federer hurdle. I still hope and think he has one more Grand Slam in him, and I'll continue to lend him my meaningless support until he retires. But it's been a frustrating number of years following him.

Put it together, Andy. Fuck.

What so being in the Top 10 for over half a decade isn't consistent enough?

As much as I like him he doesn't really seem to have any major weapons apart from his serve, but he's a great fighter on the court.

But yeah, Wawrinka's backhand surely has to be among the best in the game.

Randy Andy just wansn't on his game. Usually when he starts complaining about the crowd and for people to stop using flash photography (completely understandable, btw) ..he seems to fall off his game.

However "Swasticker" as the guy sitting next to me nicknamed Wawrinka...had Andy worked out basically from word go. This is also the second time I've been and watched Roddick live in person, and he lost last time as well :banghead:

I would love to go back to the Tennis again on Wednesday, see if I can convince the missus.

Vlad n U 2 said:

And where are you tennis fans at? I swear we had more of you around? :angry:

Where are we? We've been at the tournament itself!

Enjoy men's as much as women's tennis, but in terms of competitive evenness, the women's game has come a long way in the past 5 years, particularly when thinking back to that era where the Williams x2/Clijsters/Henin were just dominating. There are plenty of upsets and three-setters these days, and less whitewashes.

Also my favourite individual player is a woman, so I tend to invest more spectator emotion and interest in the draw when she's playing. She's like my league team.

Shattered I missed the Schiavone/Kuznetsova epic on the TV (if Channel 7 even showed it? They were probably showing Stosur's 2nd round match on a 5 day delay or something, the wankers)

Women's draw is more open than the men's, would be cool to see Wozniacki breakthrough for the win, but that's no certainty.

Would like to see Federer win the men's but Nadal is looking in top condition

:laugh: That would be something Channel 7 would do RE: Stosur win from 5 days previous...It would have been live on Fox Sports though, I reckon 7 would have cut away for news and stuff. Possibly would have been watchable on 7two, which is what they did with Sharapova's match on Friday.

That was the one and only time so far this open have I been impressed with 7 during this open. Jim Courier is golden, Bruce gives me the shits (doesn't he?, don't you think?, you just reckon don't you?) Jeez, if Bruce can go a whole match without asking a question I think there will be a big ceremony just celebrating it, just before the mens final!

Where are we? We've been at the tournament itself!

Enjoy men's as much as women's tennis, but in terms of competitive evenness, the women's game has come a long way in the past 5 years, particularly when thinking back to that era where the Williams x2/Clijsters/Henin were just dominating. There are plenty of upsets and three-setters these days, and less whitewashes.

Also my favourite individual player is a woman, so I tend to invest more spectator emotion and interest in the draw when she's playing. She's like my league team.

Shattered I missed the Schiavone/Kuznetsova epic on the TV (if Channel 7 even showed it? They were probably showing Stosur's 2nd round match on a 5 day delay or something, the wankers)

Women's draw is more open than the men's, would be cool to see Wozniacki breakthrough for the win, but that's no certainty.

Would like to see Federer win the men's but Nadal is looking in top condition

They promised to show the whole Sharapova v. Petkovic but I found that Ch7 turned to the last few games of the Schiavone v. Kuznetsova match which score updates every game down at the bottom of the screen of the former.

:laugh: That would be something Channel 7 would do RE: Stosur win from 5 days previous...It would have been live on Fox Sports though, I reckon 7 would have cut away for news and stuff. Possibly would have been watchable on 7two, which is what they did with Sharapova's match on Friday.

That was the one and only time so far this open have I been impressed with 7 during this open. Jim Courier is golden, Bruce gives me the shits (doesn't he?, don't you think?, you just reckon don't you?) Jeez, if Bruce can go a whole match without asking a question I think there will be a big ceremony just celebrating it, just before the mens final!

Jim's great, always has been. I'm tired of hearing Bruce and Sandy state the obvious due to the lack of tennis knowledge, please Ch7, leave it to the professionals. I'm warming to the idea of Hewitt being a commentator despite not really having a "commentators" voice. He does have some interesting things to say and he doesn't tend to state the obvious that much. Retire and commentate, please.

Yeah Hewitt doesn't have the voice, or maybe it hasn't "grown" on me yet. At least he appears to show some knowledge of the game.

Just had a look at the schedule for tonight. Are they playing the Mens before the Womens?

Screw Tomic, Raonic is the real deal. :yes:

Dolgopolov is also pretty awesome.

Yeah I'm hoping Dolgopolov gets up against Soderling.

One positive thing I will say about Channel 7's coverage this year, are their updates from all other matches flashing up on the bottom of the screen. Good to see that they are finally acknowledging that the Australian Open is a vast tournament of many matches and many players, rather than the tournament just being about the few matches they choose to broadcast that feature their unjustifiable "pet" favourites, (Tsonga, Baghdatis, Sharapova) and no hoper Australians (Tomic, Dokic, Molik).

And the only thing more cringeworthy than the Aussie flag on the little score graphic in the corner is the term "Aussie Kim"8

And the only thing more cringeworthy than the Aussie flag on the little score graphic in the corner is the term "Aussie Kim"8

Nothing can be more cringeworthy than the Australian flag on the score graphic in the corner. Nothing.

Dolgopolov МОЛОДЕЦ! :bow:

My new favourite player. :love: He has the perfect game from my point of view. Athletic, smashing serve, brilliant forehand and backhand and he slices a lot, he's probably among the few to use the forehand slice frequently. Kid's got massive talent.

has Lies gone out for the day or something?

there are some amazingly good looking women playing tennis. and they look good even while they're playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom