2011 AFL Off Season Thread - We are Geelong, the greatest team of all, for now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In all honesty, I'd rather develop our young HBFs. I rate Davis, he's a very good player but he's not what we need.

I reckon GWS would love him.

So Essendon starts the 2012 season with games against North, Port, and the Gold Coast ... then we play Carlton and Collingwood with only a four day break in between. :crack:

Thanks for being on a Wednesday, ANZAC Day. Hmpf.

If we can at least win those first three games, that might build some handy momentum leading into the four day break.

I see the AFL has erred strongly in favour of scheduling "blockbusters". Hope it blows up in their face. If a couple of teams pull a West Coast and come from nowhere to play sensationally and a couple of the "blockbuster" teams fail to fire, it'll be funny.

Let me save you guys the trouble.

- We have too many matches at the 'G'
- We have too few interstate games in the first half of the season
- We have too few interstate games in the second half of the season
- We have too many 7 day breaks
- We don't play enough matches against teams that finished above us last year

:wink:

Haha, let's be fair, we totally have an easier draw than you do!

In fact, I see The Age reckons Collingwood's draw is the toughest and Adelaide's the easiest! 2012 AFL fixture | Full season draw

Don't get why the first round is split over two weeks, with Sydney vs GWS as a stand-alone one weekend and the remaining eight games the next weekend.

Just had a look at our draw. It starts off very winnable with GC and the Dogs but then we get this stretch that includes Hawthorn, Carlton, Geelong and Collingwood ...

We have a new logo? Show me show me show me!

Oh, it's the one you already know.

This is the current one:

2010_Brisbane_Lions.png

Until recently, they still used the Lion of the Fitzroy days:

FitzroyLogo.png

So did anybody notice that the International Rules began last night?

Damn this thing needs some promotion.

I only found that it was happening last night after finding the result last night.

Too much detail in the new one. It's not really a symbol, more a portrait, and I don't find that to be an appealing thing for sporting logos or guernsey designs. I adore simplicity.

While the old lion looked decrepit and dated, but so were Fitzroy when they got swallowed up by Brisbane Bears, so it was almost appropriate!

Another blow for Fitzroy fans who did carry on with the Brisbane Lions. Only two of their games are being shown on free-to-air television next season. "Merger" doesn't seem the appropriate word anymore.

Another blow for Fitzroy fans who did carry on with the Brisbane Lions. Only two of their games are being shown on free-to-air television next season. "Merger" doesn't seem the appropriate word anymore.

You're not serious are you? 2 out of 22 games?

Christ, imagine if only two Brissie games were on free-to-air in 2002!

We only get 5. I feel sorry for everyone who will have to be stuck with Derwayne Russell for +70% matches.

I hope Brisbane win the fucking premiership next year just so the AFL gets crucified over the TV coverage.

The Sad Punk said:
Why? The lion looks like it has problems. Brain problems.

The new one looks like something that should be on a cereal box, and the old one looks like a patch from a 17th century quilt. You guys need something more like

liono.jpg

Axver said:
You're not serious are you? 2 out of 22 games?

Christ, imagine if only two Brissie games were on free-to-air in 2002!

Even West Sydney have more (3) games on free to air in Melbourne than Brisbane. Gold Coast also has two. I'd like to think that with 7 having the sole rights on FTA, that they may be able to present a weekly highlights package like they used to screen about 10 years ago.

Carlton have the most at 17. Collingwood has only 15, which I find surprising. I was expecting the pro-Essendon Channel Seven to screen all Dons games live on their network.

I was expecting the pro-Essendon Channel Seven to screen all Dons games live on their network.

That would suit me down to the ground! Though since when was 7 notably pro-Dons?

17 Carlton games? Ugh. One of the teams I'm really disinterested in watching (though they aren't quite as dull as North, Footscray, or Melbourne to watch) ... guess I might not have to worry too much about gigs clashing with good footy on the telly.

Probably not so much recently, but I remember back when 7 had all the rights before 2001, there seemed to be a deluge of Essendon games on FTA and at tv-viewer friendly times. Seven Nightly News also seemed incessantly Essendon-centric (kinda understandable when Tim Watson was the sports reporter, Sheeds a weekly guest and J Keyte, an Essendon fan, as news anchor). They also seemed obsessed with Hird ad-nauseum.

It's all changed a bit since then though, but I remember people were blasting 9 for Collingwood-centric when 9 had the rights, but no one acknowledged how 7 had positioned themselves as for Essendon fans.

So did anybody notice that the International Rules began last night?

Damn this thing needs some promotion.

Haha, I know right? I didn't really watch cause I have no interest, but yeah...none of the big names in the AFL played cause there isn't a trip to Ireland involved. (Plus a lot of guys go in for surgery this time of year) But it looked like they got a half decent crowd in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom