2010 World Cup Part 4 . . . The Final Countdown - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #271
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
there are exceptions
to every rule

well.
I wont miss Martin Tyler.
Tyler's fantastic, at least to my ears.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #272
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:54 AM
Players let themselves down in brutal World Cup final

a more eloquent way of saying what i'm thinking.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #273
you are what you is

Local Time: 08:54 PM
I do think the dutch played the game too physical
and I think all the yellow cards were probably deserved
but somewhere into the 2nd half Webb didn't book the Spanish where he did book the Dutch
the goal should never have happened because of offside on the Torres pass
it can't be the offside rule didn't apply because a defender actually managed to interfere
that would be ridiculous
the Spanish deserved the win, all in all, but Webb didn't do a good job and that goal should have been disallowed
thank god we can do it all over again in 4 years and teach all of youse some proper footy
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 07-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #274
you are what you is

Local Time: 08:54 PM
btw a blind man with a splinter in his eye would have seen that the dutch should have been awared a corner not long before the goal
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 07-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #275
Refugee

Local Time: 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
it's been nice

I have a feeling we will not all be here in 2014
huh ?

Be on this earth, be on interference or be watching soccer ?

some of us aren't the once-every-4-year types and will be watching EPL, Serie A, la liga, Euro 2012, etc.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:41 PM   #276
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In the city of blinding lights-MISSING THE CLAW IN SAO PAULO!
Local Time: 05:54 PM
Congratulations,Spain!
Old 07-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #277
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
huh ?

Be on this earth, be on interference or be watching soccer ?

some of us aren't the once-every-4-year types and will be watching EPL, Serie A, la liga, Euro 2012, etc.
won't it be nice to whittle those numbers down a bit?
Old 07-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #278
45:33

Local Time: 06:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
Sorry but I'm gonna have to say this.

EPIC FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it 8.30 yet now???
my commiserations.

i ended up watching it at the restaurant at the Canyon from 87 minutes onwards. i was 'rooting' for Holland though i'm stoked I picked the winnner from the start.

i almost threw up my entire lunch when Van Der Wiel got yellow carded when that Spanish fairy took a dive when Van Det Wiel was about half a pitch away. pathetic.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #279
Refugee

Local Time: 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
+1

YouTube - De Jong Kick To The Chest On Alonso Yellow Card Spain Vs Netherlands World Cup Final

I also thought there was another kick that should have been called but certainly this one should have been a red.
What was up with that?

Next I was waiting for that crazy French dude from the 2006 WC games to run out and start head butting people in the face. Then, make off with the trophy.

The game was not as good. As, I thought it would be. Spain seemed to be in a panic. All their tries and one goal. Not the smooth operators. They were before. The Netherlands, have played better. Great team. But, they lost their cool. Too angry. I think.

Anyway, both teams did deserve to be the final two. Played much better than my home team.

I liked Saturday's game better. Germany vs. Uruguay. Interesting to watch, with the pouring down rain.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #280
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:54 PM
The world cup final is never one for the neutral. Crap game.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:07 PM   #281
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A stor View Post
The game was not as good. As, I thought it would be. Spain seemed to be in a panic. All their tries and one goal. Not the smooth operators. They were before. The Netherlands, have played better. Great team. But, they lost their cool. Too angry. I think.
True - the game was boring. Spain had 57% possession though. The defenses on both sides were strong.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #282
Refugee

I had such a blast watching the game today!!! Wow!
We were at a packed pub in Hollywood with the crowd pretty evenly split. It was a nailbiter and my voice is hoarse.
The dutch were quite dirty which surprised me. The infamous kick to the chest wasdefinitely red card status.
We all laughed out loud at the two "airball" missed kicks by both sides. I had my doubts Spain would be able to score PKs. But that goal was fantastic!
Casillas was the MVP of this game in my opinion. He was spectacular!

I'm thrilled to hear Forlan and Mueller picked up the Golden ball & boot prizes. Well deserved!!

congrats to Spain!

I hope my teams, France Mexico & US have better outcomes next cup. I still had a blast watching this cup
Old 07-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #283
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaz02 View Post
The world cup final is never one for the neutral. Crap game.

Some wonderful football in those games
Old 07-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #284
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
It's always good to get more people into the game here in the US, but it's a mixed blessing.

Too often we get so many "creative" suggestions form people who have been watching the game for 20 minutes on how to "improve" it.

So, for the record, here's how to improve Baseball. Cancel every game.

But failing that, make it a la cricket and make players catch the ball sans gloves.

American Football. Make players play both ways a la 'real' football, limit substitutions to 3 per game a la "real" football, and eliminate field goals and punts. Go for it every time. oh, and take the silly crash helmets and body armor off a la Rugby and let's see how tough they REALLY are.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:53 PM   #285
Loungeroom Dancing Queen

Local Time: 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
if I wasn't such a positive little pollyanna I'd say 'ouch' . . . I do know that I'll be paying much more attention to the game as a whole after reigniting my love for this game with this Cup . . . and was quietly delighted when SBS announced the kick off of the World Game in early August

Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
It's always good to get more people into the game here in the US, but it's a mixed blessing.

Too often we get so many "creative" suggestions form people who have been watching the game for 20 minutes on how to "improve" it.

So, for the record, here's how to improve Baseball. Cancel every game.

But failing that, make it a la cricket and make players catch the ball sans gloves.

American Football. Make players play both ways a la 'real' football, limit substitutions to 3 per game a la "real" football, and eliminate field goals and punts. Go for it every time. oh, and take the silly crash helmets and body armor off a la Rugby and let's see how tough they REALLY are.
. . . and some of us, unfortunately, don't have the time to follow the sport quite as religiously as we'd like . . . but appreciate the skill and the beauty of the game nonetheless . . . even if we do dick about a bit on the sidelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
I had such a blast watching the game today!!! Wow!
We were at a packed pub in Hollywood with the crowd pretty evenly split. It was a nailbiter and my voice is hoarse.
The dutch were quite dirty which surprised me. The infamous kick to the chest wasdefinitely red card status.
We all laughed out loud at the two "airball" missed kicks by both sides. I had my doubts Spain would be able to score PKs. But that goal was fantastic!
Casillas was the MVP of this game in my opinion. He was spectacular!

I'm thrilled to hear Forlan and Mueller picked up the Golden ball & boot prizes. Well deserved!!

congrats to Spain!

glad you had a blast Outsider (and apols for the little edit there . . . stupid 12 smiley rule) and 100% agree regarding Casillas . . . I know that Iniesta and Villa deserve praise for their goals and assists over the tournament but Casillas was magic . . . in the last few games especially he just quietly and magnificently did his thing

some interesting articles / summations thus far in my local paper. . .

Dutch point finger of blame at referee Webb

think it's a little bit churlish to blame the ref for the final send off when clearly that chest kick should have resulted in a send off much earlier than the dying minutes of extra time

World Cup final player ratings

Iniesta in World Cup tribute to dead compatriot

and I still think the Dutch displayed incredible sportsmanship (even if their tactics on the pitch were a little grubby) by forming that guard of honour at the end

enjoy your final game post mortems

Tags
cephalapod games, espana, fifa, fuck yeah, nederlands, w00000t, world cup