2010-2011 NBA Thread Take 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Forearms to the neck are not things normal people do.

6a0115709f071f970b01310f26f0b5970c-400wi

Just Bynum and Superman

"Andrew Bynum is seeing the lowest usage of any season since the arrival of Pau Gasol, only using 19.1% of his team's possessions. Such low usage in seasons past would have affected his effort in rebounding and defense. This season, however, Andrew also has the highest rebounding % (17.0) and block % (5.2) of the Pau Gasol era.

None of these numbers match his breakout 2008 season, but the addition of a second 7 footer was always bound to have an impact on Drew's individual numbers. That's a broad strokes view, but the fine print shows this new-found maturity in greater detail. Last season, Drew had less than 10 field goal attempts a total of 27 times, and in those 27 games, he managed 10 rebounds just twice. This season, Drew has already had less than 10 field goal attempts 25 times, and he's reached double figures in rebounding 7 times.

In terms of averages, in last season's < 10 FGA games, Drew averaged just 5.96 rebounds, nearly 3 less than his season average of 8.3; in this season's, he's averaged 7.36, just short of his overall season average of 7.7 (the decline in total season average is entirely minutes based). The same relationship can be seen in his blocks, which increased from 1.44 in last season's low usage games, to 1.76 this season. Judging by points instead of field goal attempts, Drew is averaging 6.9 rebounds this season in games in which he scored less than 10 points, as compared to 5.5 rebounds last season. He has three single doubles (less than 10 points, more than 10 rebounds) this season, and had none last year."

Andrew Bynum "gets" it - Silver Screen and Roll

Marcin Gortat > Andrew Bynum. The man had comparable numbers playing 20 minutes a game and coming off of the bench in Orlando and he's stepped up his game with more minutes in Phoenix. He's got terrible hands and still doesn't have a reliable jumper, but the guy's quick off of the pick-and-roll, a solid rebounder, and flat-out efficient when he's on the floor. Sure his numbers spiked due to playing with Steve Nash and more than 20 minutes a game, but I've never seen Bynum be an imposing force in any of his time in the league or be a dominant big man, no matter what his capacity is on the team.

there are no great centers in the NBA today, and that includes dwight howard. howard is very, very good. but considering the complete lack of dominant centers in the league, his numbers should be much better than they are. when shaq was left alone at the top... after olajuwon and ewing and robinson retired... he was an unstoppable force. howard is just very good. he should be better.

everyone else? please... it's a terrible era for centers in the NBA. just because you're towards the top of a pile of shit doesn't mean you're any good. andrew bynum is a nice player. nothing more. the lakers should be happy they have him, because "nice" is more than what most other teams have. but yea... he's okay.

You have to think San Antonio's injury woes and four game losing streak are going to delay our annual SC@NYC sighting by a couple weeks.

As a life-long Cleveland sports fan, I can say that tonight is ultimately sad in the sense that this one meaningless win will be the high point of the entire 2011 Cleveland sports season.

It obviously doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things, but I'm still damn happy to see it.

Second night of a back to back and fourth of a six game road trip against a team that hadn't played since Sunday and hadn't left LA in two and a half weeks? I'm not going to sweat scheduled losses. It was obvious from the beginning of the second half that Dallas was gassed.

Imps, I may be ignorant about American sport, as you will well know, but a mate of mine wants Dirk's babies and so I know all about that weird-looking German and his consecutive free-throw feats.

Second night of a back to back and fourth of a six game road trip against a team that hadn't played since Sunday and hadn't left LA in two and a half weeks? I'm not going to sweat scheduled losses. It was obvious from the beginning of the second half that Dallas was gassed.

Yeah, I think they'll be fine.

Tonight's the second night of a back to back for the Celtics, in Atlanta, so that'll be a loss...

I don't necessarily think they'll be fine at all. I'm about as big a Mavericks sunshine pumper you'll ever see, but there are plenty of reasons for panic. Last night had all the tropes of the playoff meltdowns I've come to know over a decade's worth of failure: stupid turnovers, shit offense, over-reliance on Dirk, a completely useless Jason Terry, and, of course, the requisite complete loss of composure. But I'm not going to jump off a bridge over a loss you could have penciled in when the schedule was announced last year. I'll just toe the edge a bit.

I'm not sure Boston's game tonight is much of a mirror image as far as the circumstances go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom