Your 2008 concert calendar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found out I'm definitely going to the Fender Jazzmaster 50th anniversary show at the Knitting Factory in a few weeks. Thurston Moore, Lee Ranaldo, J. Mascis, Tom Verlaine, and Nels Cline :drool::drool::drool:

updated:

2/18: tim finn
4/18: moody blues
5/17: duran duran
5/18: liam finn
7/19: earth, wind & fire
8/9: crosby, stills & nash

8/30: foghat
8/31: the romantics
9/10: liam finn
9/12: the b-52's
9/23: david byrne
9/26: huey lewis and the news
9/29: the raconteurs

My first (and perhaps only) concert of the year is going to be Huey Lewis and the News. It is finally happening. Oh, yes. :heart:
ooh, are they coming to your town too? :D

I have two more concerts to go, Coldplay in Vienna and Munich. I'm looking very much forward to these shows. Vienna is September 24, Munich is September 26.

My fall is shaping up nicely:

9/12: Fender Jazzmaster 50th anniversary show
9/26: Ryan Adams and the Cardinals
10/4: Andrew Bird (front row :drool: )
10/18: Billy Bragg
10/24: Deerhoof (is a longshot, but I'm going to try)
11/9: The Decemberists
11/14: The Avett Brothers
12/12: Wilco and Neil Young

I said screw it . . . life's too short.

So I bought 1 ticket (I tried for 2, but it's pretty much sold out) to Kings of Leon at the Nokia Theater, Los Angeles.

Actually, I'm not even quite sure of the exact date, but I think it's around October 13th.

The funny thing is, I got a better seat than when I checked the availability two days ago. :lol:

Orchestra, Section 109 (stage-left, house-right), Row 'G', some seat in the middle of the row.

I'm very pleased. And I will be even more pleased when I get to ogle Caleb Followill for 2 hours! :heart: :drool: :stalker:

for the rest of the year:

v fest today
against me tmw
liam finn oct 4th
lenny kravitz oct something
the who oct 2something
neil young dec 4th or something

hope to get some NIN in there, and I need to wrangle a Beck ticket too somehow :angry:

9/14 Rodney Carrington
9/19 Jerry Seinfeld
9/24 Mindless Self Indulgence
9/26 Jim Gaffigan
9/29 Beck
10/05 Dave Brubeck
10/16 Broken Social Scene
10/25 Bill Cosby
11/07 Henry Rollins Spoken Word
11/13 Coldplay
11/21 Nine Inch Nails
11/29 Al Green

Coming up for me are -

Stevie Wonder - 20 October :drool::drool::drool:
Def Leppard/Cheap Trick - 03 November
John Mellencamp/Sheryl Crow - 23 November
Billy Joel - 01 December
Alicia Keys - 17 December
Kylie Minogue - 19 December:heart::applaud:

The savings account is officially tapped out!

Tonight:

Union County Music Fest
Gin Blossoms (I'm sure it will be cracking!)
Tokyo Police Club
The B-52's

Hey, it's FREE! But whether I'm going will depend on the weather too. So far so good.

Bit of a mini-spree just now: both at the OC Performing Arts Center

September 19--Organ Grandeur (Bach and Saint-Saens)
December 12--The Planets (Holst :drool: )

What orchestra is this?

Favorite movements from The Planets for me are NOT the first four. In fact, Mars and Jupiter are SOOOO overplayed.

Saturn, Uranus and Neptune are my favorites. Incredibly underplayed and under appreciated movements.

The spree just peaked, with maybe one or two more tomorrow. Today's purchases: (all LA Opera)

Sunday, Oct 5--Madama Butterfly
Saturday, Nov. 15-- Carmen
Sunday, March 1--Das Rheingold
Saturday, April 25--Die Walkure

These last two are all-new LA Opera productions. :D

:nerd:

uh, just a few for the upcoming months:

Novembre 1: Estrella Music Fest: The Raconteurs, Frank Black, Los Tres, Maldita Vecindad, Lost Acapulco, La Maldita Vecindad and Joe Volume & Los Vincent Black Shadows

November 6: Crystal Castles

November 8: Manifest: The Prodigy, Travis, Sonic Youth, 30 Seconds to Mars, The Teenagers, Fujiya & Miyagi, Black Lips, Sub-Division, The Hong Kong Blood Opera and Running Guns

and probably Hot Chip in December

My first (and perhaps only) concert of the year is going to be Huey Lewis and the News. It is finally happening. Oh, yes. :heart:

i was parked next to a car at work yesterday that had a hl & the news cd on the back seat. you aren't employed here, are you?

I saw quite a few gigs in the past few weeks, so it's time for an update.

Concerts in the past:
24 January: Voicst, De Helling, Utrecht
6 February: Voicst, Ekko, Utrecht (acoustic showcase)
8 February: Voicst, So What, Gouda (check them out at http://www.myspace.com/voicst)
22 March: Silkstone & Voicst, Studio 31, Hilversum
28 March: Claw Boys Claw, Paradiso, Amsterdam (a wild party!)
5 May: Bevrijdings (Liberation) Festival, Utrecht. The main act I saw was Voicst (I'm seeing a trend this year)
9 May: The Paper Chase, dB Studios, Utrecht (went there with Rono and ABEL!)
29 June: Voicst, Vondelpark, Amsterdam (a free acoustic show in the outdoor theatre at the Vondelpark)
6 July: Metropolis Festival, Zuiderpark, Rotterdam (free festival, saw Voicst again)
12 July: Doe Maar, Feyenoord Stadium, Rotterdam (they were amazing! Sure, it was a pure nostalgia fest with 90% of the songs from their '80s heyday and just a few from their 2000 reunion album, but still.)
2 August: Daniel Lanois & Brian Blade, Paradiso, Amsterdam (an amazing show, the music Daniel Lanois can get out of just one guitar! And Brian Blade is an amazing drummer too)
14 August: Michael Franti & Spearhead, Paradiso, Amsterdam (I had a great time, but I think this might be the last time I'm going to see him. He's moving in a direction I'm not really digging)
15 to 18 August: Lowlands festival, Biddinghuizen (I had a great time. Saw lots of bands. Highlights were: The Ting Tings, The Flaming Lips, Claw Boys Claw, Franz Ferdinand, Police In Dub Experience, dEUS, and The Dresden Dolls. And no, Voicst did not play here, they were at Sziget.)

Concerts in the future:
30 August: Festival De Beschaving, Utrecht (with acts like Kate Nash, Pete Philly & Perquisite, C-Mon & Kypski, Gram and Angus & Julia also a winner. And Voicst too!)
27 September: Emmylou Harris, Carré, Amsterdam
2 October: Coldplay, Ahoy, Rotterdam
11 October, Voicst, Paradiso, Amsterdam

Life's good!

The festival season has ended, but it's going to be one heck of a fall!

Concerts in the past:
24 January: Voicst, De Helling, Utrecht :bow:
6 February: Voicst, Ekko, Utrecht (acoustic showcase)
8 February: Voicst, So What, Gouda (check them out at MySpace.com - Voicst - Amsterdam)
22 March: Silkstone ( :down: ) & Voicst ( :up: ), Studio 31, Hilversum
28 March: Claw Boys Claw, Paradiso, Amsterdam (a wild party! :up: )
5 May: Bevrijdings (Liberation) Festival, Utrecht. The main act I saw was Voicst :)shifty: I'm seeing a trend this year)
9 May: The Paper Chase, dB Studios, Utrecht (went there with Rono and ABEL!)
29 June: Voicst, Vondelpark, Amsterdam (a free acoustic show in the outdoor theatre at the Vondelpark)
6 July: Metropolis Festival, Zuiderpark, Rotterdam (free festival, saw Voicst again)
12 July: Doe Maar, Feyenoord Stadium, Rotterdam :)bow: they were amazing! Sure, it was a pure nostalgia fest with 90% of the songs from their '80s heyday and just a few from their 2000 reunion album, but still. :bow: )
2 August: Daniel Lanois & Brian Blade, Paradiso, Amsterdam (an amazing show, the music Daniel Lanois can get out of just one guitar! :faint: And Brian Blade is an amazing drummer too)
14 August: Michael Franti & Spearhead, Paradiso, Amsterdam (I had a great time, but I think this might be the last time I'm going to see him. He's moving in a direction I'm not really digging)
15 to 18 August: Lowlands festival, Biddinghuizen (I had a great time. Saw lots of bands. Highlights were: The Ting Tings, The Flaming Lips, Claw Boys Claw, Franz Ferdinand, Police In Dub Experience, dEUS, and The Dresden Dolls. And no, Voicst did not play here, they were at Sziget.)
30 August: Festival De Beschaving, Utrecht (saw full sets by Voist, Gram, Gem plus some good stuff by Pete Philly & Perquisite and Mogwai and some others. Kate Nash was disappointing.)

Concerts in the future:
27 September: Emmylou Harris, Carré, Amsterdam :drool:
2 October: Coldplay, Ahoy, Rotterdam :hyper:
8 October: Hautekiet en De Leeuw (CD presentation), Paradiso, Amsterdam
11 October: Voicst, Paradiso, Amsterdam
7 December: dEUS, 013, Tilburg
12 December: Krezip, Watt, Rotterdam
27 December: Claw Boys Claw, Melkweg, Amsterdam

And I might see Gem somewhere in November (in Heerlen of all places).
I even have some concerts already planned in 2009! :hyper:

ben folds 9/25
street dogs 9/27 and 9/28
far from finished 10/2
alkaline trio, gaslight anthem, rise against 10/8
chuck ragan and others 10/9 (although i'll probably skip this show)
either the slackers or the pubcrawlers/the scars 10/12
billy bragg 10/22
the aggrolites, everybody out either 10/25 or 10/26
rev horton heat 11/12
the blasters 11/18
ducky boys, pinkerton thugs, far from finished 12/14

Originally Posted by Pop Artist
Well, well, well...a month later and all of the above is coming together.

March 10 & 12 - my obscure musical love in Toronto
April 29 - The Verve are coming! The Verve are coming!
May 8 - Radiohead in Atlanta!
June 14 - R.E.M.
August 8 and 9 - All Points West/Radiohead - The announced line-up besides Radiohead is greatly disappointing but I cannot miss the boys locally.

Would have liked to have seen The Police again with Elvis Costello in what may possibly be The Police's last show ever at Jones Beach, but I'm going broke with all these shows on sale (except for REM) in the same month so I had to make the hard choice to pass it up. The ticket price and the fact that they left me a little unsatisfied when I saw them in August were the deciding factors... As for the rest, thank goodness for tax refunds...

Originally Posted by Pop Artist
Well, busy Spring on the concert front! Add to the above:

April 28 - Crowded House
May 30 - The Raconteurs
June 25 - Pearl Jam

I think that will probably be it until Fall , unless somebody I must see surprises me and/or I hit a free Summer show or two.

Well that wasn't it. Added since then...

June 29 - The Hold Steady (free show!) (rained out)
July 3 August 2 - Coldplay (in Hartford, just picked that up today...I didn't win tix to the free MSG show, a good seat came up and I didn't want to wait for Jersey in October, I kinda dislike Continent...er, the Izod, anyway, and there's a 12:30AM bus so I don't have to stay overnight)
July 30 - Live
October 7 - Madonna (in the cheap seats)

I did toy once again with getting tix to (really this time) the last Police show at MSG on August 7 but again, I took a pass, guess I'm just not feeling it.

Fall Update:

Also seen: July 19 - Broken Social Scene (free festival!)

Also coming up:

October 18 - The Secret Machines
November 5- The Decemberists
November 7 - The Hold Steady (making up for missing them in the summer)

And then that really should be it unless something is going on when I'm in Iceland at the end of November, then I will be ending the concert year as I began it. :)

Back
Top Bottom