Wilco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LemonMelon said:

I wasn't expecting much from him, but Doe did an admirable job warming up the crowd with his catchy, occasionally raucous pop. Highlight of his set was a superb cover of the Beatles' Revolution, where he really got a chance to show off his vocal prowess. I'll be checking out his albums with some measure of excitement.

I used to be a big X fan (I guess I still am, given how excited I got to see they're coming here soon). Do you know John Doe's stuff with them? If not, check out this great song:

See How We Are
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ADmUT7dCDi8

I used to have a girl crush on Exene Cervenka and I used to go see them and stare in awe at her clothes and shoes and hair which were so different from what everyone else was doing then. I thought she was the coolest thing ever. So, just for fun, you should also check out this Exene video from around '89 that also features her x-husband (pun unavoidable) John Doe along with her then-current husband Viggo Mortensen, who had to have been one of the all-time coolest couples ever:

He's Got a She
http://www.vh1.com/video/play.jhtml?vid=53933&artist=4226

Last edited:
Just saw in our local rag that Wilco's touring very shortly... now I've never heard a Wilco song, but from what I hear they go alright. If prices a reasonable should I go?

Why is it taking so long for a recording to surface from last Saturday? :grumpy: I know it's been less than a week, but DC tapers have already posted their recordings from this week.

I have to be perfectly honest. I didn't want to like Wilco for the longest time because it seemed everyone did. Like, they were the new fad band to follow. So I ignored them...

Until lately. The buzz around here had toned down a little bit so I gave in and gave them a try. Now...I'm hooked. And all I can think is why didn't I give them a try earlier? :)

I've liked Wilco for a long time. It seems weird to me now that they're the latest fad. It seems to seem weird to them, too. They're all so nice and gracious, and they've sounded better live these last few weeks than they ever have (SNL perhaps being the exception to that).

Funny. I don't really pay attention to new music or what other people are listening to until someone sits me down and plunks headphones on my, forcing me to listen to something new.

I had no idea Wilco were the hot "new" thing. I had no idea that people who weren't in college 8-15 years ago knew who Wilco was.

I should get out more.

I just got an email saying to stay tuned for an announcement of the return of Wilco to New Mexico on May 9th. :happy:

The day I'll be in Atlanta for Radiohead. :sad:

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I CAN'T STAND IT
I CAN'T STAND IT

Touring in May? :ohmy: I wasn't expecting them back on the road until August. It makes sense, though--maybe they'll do some shows in the west, then come back through the midwest around the time of Lollapalooza (where they're rumored to be playing), then up the east coast in time for me to catch them a few times before I go back to teaching. Because, you know, it's all about me :wink:

That's lousy luck that you'll be away, but at least you know you'll be at a great show. Besides, Wilco seems to be on the road a lot more than Radiohead, so you can always catch them next time.

The Philadelphia recording is about the best thing ever :drool:

BonoIsMyMuse said:

Wilco seems to be on the road a lot more than Radiohead, so you can always catch them next time.

That's true, but they've only been here once. It's basically a miracle when anyone interesting comes to NM and when they do, I can always get practically the best seat in the house. So to be away when one of my favorite bands comes is just the biggest fattest rottenest of luck.

But I do love Radiohead more, and have seen Wilco three times and Radiohead only once.

And I'll see Radiohead twice...with martha!! :happy:

Still...

:sad: :sad: :sad:

APR-30 ROCHESTER, MN MAYO CIVIC CENTER
MAY-01 FARGO, ND FARGO CIVIC AUDITORIUM
MAY-02 WINNIPEG, MN BURTON CUMMINGS THEATRE
MAY-04 BOZEMAN, MT EMERSON CULTURAL CENTER
MAY-05 MISSOULA, MT ADAMS CENTER
MAY-07 GRAND JUNCTION, CO AVALAON THEATRE
MAY-08 COLORADO SPRINGS, CO PIKES PEAK CENTER
MAY-09 ALBUQUERQUE, NM POPEJOY HALL
MAY-11 AUSTIN, TX STUBB'S
MAY-12 AUSTIN, TX STUBB'S
MAY-15 ST. LOUIS, MO THE PAGEANT
MAY-16 ST. LOUIS, MO THE PAGEANT

I got so excited when I saw Rochester...until I realized it was Minnesota. impy, it looks like you could get to see them this year after all. I'm holding out hope that they'll add some east coast dates around the time of the rescheduled Charleston show. Nice to see they're playing Winnipeg to make up for the show they had to cancel when Nels had the chicken pox last summer :up:

All presales are next Wednesday, the 19th.

Okay, fine, Wilco. Just go ahead and tour all around me the week I'm on the east coast, see if I care. I could have made both the Abq and Co Springs shows (who the hell plays Co Springs and why?). I don't really like Popejoy Hall anyway. :madspit:

Oh yeah, I'll be seeing RADIOHEAD with MARTHA on those nights. :happy:

All I know is I'm going to be ballin' at the May 11 and 12 Austin shows.

I guess there's still hope for some shows in August when I'll have lots of time off and might be on the east coast again at the same time they are.

I scored tickets for both St. Louis shows in the presale this morning. I found out after I'd bought them that they're will call pickup only. Since selling them isn't an option, I guess I'm definitely going.

My first time on a plane since 2003 :ohmy:

I got tickets for the first night in Austin.

I'm between getting tickets for night two or for one of the two Raconteurs shows coming up.

I also want to save money, so maybe I'll just stick with one show.

Thank god they finally annouced the winnipeg dates. I just have no freinds who like Wilco to go with.

thetitans2k said:
Thank god they finally annouced the winnipeg dates. I just have no freinds who like Wilco to go with.

Go alone. I always have a blast when I go to concerts alone. Or, take someone who thinks they don't like Wilco, or who doesn't know their music, and I bet they become a fan. :yes:

I saw them last month by myself and had probably my very best experience ever at a concert. I just relaxed and had a good time and didn't have to worry about whether anyone else was having fun. I'll be seeing them in May by myself, too, most likely, and I'm not worried about it at all.

Holy crap....

I could see Radiohead on May 14 and then Wilco on May 15 in St. Louis!

I don't think I could pull the days off at work, but I may try.

BonoIsMyMuse...I have an extra pit ticket for Radiohead...we can work a trade if you want!?

zonelistener said:

BonoIsMyMuse...I have an extra pit ticket for Radiohead...we can work a trade if you want!?

Sorry, I only have one ticket for each night. Radiohead would've been cool, but I think Wilco shows three nights in a row will make it a full enough trip! From what I've heard, there are a few pretty reasonably priced tickets on Stubhub, though.

I got a ticket for the third St. Louis show last week in the presale, so I'm all set. I like that all the presale tickets are will call pickup only. Hopefully that will cut down on scalping.

What a crazy trip this is going to be! It's going to be a hell of a drive, that's for sure. I have a hunch they might add a few shows around the time of Lollapalooza and their rescheduled show in Charleston, SC, but I didn't want to risk not getting a chance to see them again this year.

BonoIsMyMuse said:

Sorry, I only have one ticket for each night. Radiohead would've been cool, but I think Wilco shows three nights in a row will make it a full enough trip!

:up:

I am hoping that Jeff and crew come to the Radiohead show though. I know Michael Stipe played with Radiohead at the Vancouver show I was supposed to be at, and that I have seen Jeff pop up on stage at three different bands I have seen in Chicago.

Back
Top Bottom