Wilco - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #271
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:20 AM
Big Grin

Greetings all and welcome to our first update of 2009. Man, we've got a lot to cover.

First, "Ashes of American Flags", the wilco concert film, had it's world premiere at the Big Sky Documentary Film Festival last weekend and won the award for Best Cinematography. Congratulations to filmmakers Brendan Canty and Christoph Green, who were in Missoula for the event, and will be in San Francisco later today (Wednesday) for the screening at the Noise Pop Film Festival. For more info about future screenings, the April DVD release, or to see the trailer, click here.

The band's April tour (their only US dates of the spring) is up on the site now. Milwaukee, Bloomington IN and Athens OH presales are today (Wed.). The others are already on sale and several are very close to selling out. So if you're pondering seeing the band this spring... you better act fast or contemplate booking a trip to Spain. Otherwise, it's "see you in June".

The band are making major progress on the upcoming soon-to-be-titled LP. They've been hunkered down in the loft with Jim Scott and are just about ready to start mixing. We've got it on the calendar for release in June -- watch the site for further and more specific news in the next few weeks.

On the side project and miscellany fronts: Nels Cline has a new record out that's getting well-deserved great reviews. Check it here. Glenn Kotche performs with the Bang on a Can All Stars in Philadelphia (Kimmel Center) this weekend and New York (Alice Tully Hall @ Lincoln Center) next week. Info here. Mike Jorgensen's new group Pronto have a record coming out March 10. Two out of 3 of Jeff Tweedy's March solo shows are sold out. Some tickets for Beacon, NY benefit show for the Sloop Clearwater remain available here. The Bad Plus have a cool cover of Wilco's "Radio Cure" on their new release "For All I Care". Look for it. Our friend Dan Nadel has some great art books for sale at this site. We strongly recommend you pay him a visit. There's also another sale on at the Wilco store. Check out the deals here.

gotta run back to the studio. We hope to see you out there somewhere soon

the Wilco HQers

Old 02-25-2009, 03:06 PM   #272
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:20 PM
Big Grin

I picked up two tickets for the Bloomington, IN show today, but will most likely not be in town. Schmeg will go though!

Bummer, knowing they mayplay some of the new songs.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #273
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:20 PM
I saw a Jeff Tweedy solo show when I was in Chicago a few weeks ago, and he played a few new songs. It's hard to imagine them in their full form when it's just him and his acoustic guitar, but lyrically they were really tight. I'm seeing him again at the end of next month in Massachusetts.

There are a lot of interesting things going on with Wilco side projects right now, too, as the Wilco HQ email mentions. Nels Cline's new album is fabulous. I've gotten really into his work over the last year or so, and to my ears it's the best thing he's ever done. I'm looking forward to seeing Pronto open for Tweedy next month, and there's a chance I may head down to Philadelphia to see Glenn Kotche with Bang On A Can Saturday.

You can see how I've been passing the time between U2 albums
Old 02-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #274
The Male

Local Time: 09:20 AM
New Wilco deserves a .

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #275
Blue Crack Addict

Old 02-25-2009, 11:20 PM   #276
Refugee

Local Time: 05:20 PM
Wilco was easily my favourite concert of all time. I love these guys.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:52 PM   #277
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:20 AM
I've seen them four times (plus Tweedy solo twice), but I can firmly place the second time I saw them in October 2006 as one of the best shows I've ever been to. Top fiver for sure along with Sigur Ros, Radiohead, My Morning Jacket, and my first jaunt with Arcade Fire.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:38 AM   #278
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:20 PM
Man, I love this band.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #279
Blue Crack Addict

I love Tweedy's suit.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #280
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 11:20 AM
Great, now I'm going to have to be annoyed by seeing this thread all summer long.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #281
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
all summer long
AND WE WERE TRYlNG DIFFERENT THINGS
WE WERE SMOKING FUNNY THINGS
Old 03-01-2009, 12:14 AM   #282
The Male

Oh, A Ghost Is Born, you perplex me so. At Least That's What You Said, Muzzle Of Bees, Handshake Drugs, and Wishful Thinking (the segue between those last two is simply sublime) are probably all in my top 20 Wilco songs, and the album has great atmosphere, but they really did a number on the sequencing by placing Less Than You Think in the penultimate slot, surrounding it with all of the album's most frivolous tracks. That will never make sense to me. And I really don't think anything after Company In My Back is up to scratch. It's like they ran out of tracks to keep up the atmosphere and just placed whatever they had lying around at the end to fill up space.

Fuck, this album is so, so close to being one of my all-time favorites, and up until I'm A Wheel, it is my favorite Wilco album.

Now.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:41 AM   #283
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Oh, A Ghost Is Born, you perplex me so. At Least That's What You Said, Muzzle Of Bees, Handshake Drugs, and Wishful Thinking (the segue between those last two is simply sublime) are probably all in my top 20 Wilco songs, and the album has great atmosphere, but they really did a number on the sequencing by placing Less Than You Think in the penultimate slot, surrounding it with all of the album's most frivolous tracks. That will never make sense to me. And I really don't think anything after Company In My Back is up to scratch. It's like they ran out of tracks to keep up the atmosphere and just placed whatever they had lying around at the end to fill up space.

Fuck, this album is so, so close to being one of my all-time favorites, and up until I'm A Wheel, it is my favorite Wilco album.
I never thought of any of this like this before, but now that you've laid it out there like that, I think I agree with you, except that Less Than You Think just kills me, especially live. "Especially live" is something you can add to any thing nice said about any Wilco song.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:27 AM   #284
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:20 PM
A Ghost is Born is by FAR my favorite Wilco album. Probably in my top 5 this decade actually.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:34 AM   #285
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl View Post
"Especially live" is something you can add to any thing nice said about any Wilco song.
Oh man, ain't this the truth. When I saw them, they played At Least That's What You Said, Muzzle Of Bees, and Handshake Drugs, and they all sent chills through my fucking body. Incredible live band.

Now.

Tags
wilco