We need a good Belle & Sebastian thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New album cover and title:

writeaboutlove542.jpg

No release date yet, unfortunately. Love the cover though. :up:

Never mind about the last "cover" photo, this is apparently the real deal.
Pitchfork lie more than Bonoz

bs.jpg

October 12th release!

GAF, you have written a good number of humorous things lately. Well done.

I liked the other photo better. Oh well.

The closest they'll get to me is Toronto, but it's on a Tuesday, making it highly unlikely that I can go. Hopefully they'll swing by again and hit Montreal at the very least.

I liked the other photo better. Oh well.

So did I, actually, though the second one's not bad-looks like the cover to some "coming-of-age" book from the 1970s or something.

Just been skimming through this thread. Up until now, all I'd ever heard from these guys was "Funny Little Frog", which I loved (the music in it always reminded me of another song, but I've never been able to figure out what one). I liked the other songs shared in the thread here, though (particularly "I'm Waking Up To Us" and "Your Cover's Blown"-the latter's a bit long, but the music in it's incredibly fun), so this seems to be another group I'll have to add to my long list of artists I need to check out more from :). And whatever stuff from the new album shows up, I'll give that a listen, too.

Angela

I saw them two weeks ago, they put on an excellent show. Well worth waiting for having grown up with their music. The new songs were pretty good as well.

Not sure how I missed this! I remember speaking about them with you a number of times back in the ole days of Soulseek and AIM and what not. I've still never seen them live, so I'm quite jealous. :up:

The new album comes out tomorrow. It's receiving some extremely solid reviews so far. 9 from Popmatters, 8.2 from Pitchfork, and Allmusic had this to say:

Mainly, though, what impresses about Write About Love is its consistency, both within the album itself and within Belle & Sebastian’s work at large. Song for song, it’s as strong as any of their records -- if anything, these 11 songs are the tightest they have ever been -- and Stuart Murdoch remains faithful to the aesthetic he essayed at the outset of his career, finding sustenance in the fine details, his obsessions carrying the weight of passion.

Looking forward to picking it up tomorrow. :up:

It's great. Very odd hearing such a hi-fi B&S album though; I've only heard the first two, so this one sounds almost contemporary in comparison.

Seriously guys, I've been thinking about Belle & Sebastian all day because of the above video. I know it's long, but give it a watch when you have the time. If you're a fan, I think you'll enjoy it immensely.

Seriously guys, I've been thinking about Belle & Sebastian all day because of the above video. I know it's long, but give it a watch when you have the time. If you're a fan, I think you'll enjoy it immensely.

I promise I'll watch it when I get my new laptop later this week. The iPad is useful and all but mostly it's just pissing me off because it's not my laptop. I'm sure I'll enjoy the video, especially since I know next to nothing about B&S except for the actual music (which I LOVE).

Brilliant documentary. And the album is so beautiful. I've loved Stars Of Track and Field for years, but a lot of the rest of the album tracks hadn't clicked with me.

This film made the whole thing click. Hearing Murdoch's inspirations, and getting a glimpse at his process, and seeing the faces of the other members, and hearing their voices. Damn. Yeah, that film has basically turned me from "I like a few Belle & Sebastian songs" to "Yes, I love them, and If You're Feeling Sinister is a masterpiece."

Woke up with Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying in my head. What a tune.

Also. Their lead guitarist, that Stevie guy, was really engaging in the documentary and has a really funny look about him.

Brilliant documentary. And the album is so beautiful. I've loved Stars Of Track and Field for years, but a lot of the rest of the album tracks hadn't clicked with me.

This film made the whole thing click. Hearing Murdoch's inspirations, and getting a glimpse at his process, and seeing the faces of the other members, and hearing their voices. Damn. Yeah, that film has basically turned me from "I like a few Belle & Sebastian songs" to "Yes, I love them, and If You're Feeling Sinister is a masterpiece."

Woke up with Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying in my head. What a tune.

Also. Their lead guitarist, that Stevie guy, was really engaging in the documentary and has a really funny look about him.

YES!!!!!

I think the rest of you will like it a lot too. Really entertaining documentary (NOT A DOCO!).

Well, I woke up with Seeing Other People in my head. Watched the doco last night and could not agree more with mofo and GAF. It's just wonderful. I didn't know shit about them and now I am enlightened. If You're Feeling Sinister has long been not only my favorite B&S record but one of my favorite records period, and now I love it even more which I didn't realize was possible. It is a near perfect collection of songs and a perfect record. The doco highlighted and offered insight into the things that I've always loved about their music - the live-in-the-studio "of a time yet timeless" quality, the storytelling, the catchy melodies, their whole sound, everything. And I love the story behind the band name and how they met.

Thanks, mofo.

Oh, and also
I would like to go to Scotland now, please.

I listened to Tigermilk for the first time in years because of the documentary. It's insane how good it is considering how it came about. No wonder all the students unanimously chose it as their project.

Lyrically, The State I Am In is one of the best songs ever. Absolutely stunning work from Murdoch.

Back
Top Bottom