Vote for U2 on RS' 'Artist of the Decade' Poll - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #61
Refugee

Local Time: 04:12 AM
Maybe i'm just sick of it, but OK Computer has always been extremely overrated in my eyes. Same with The Bends. For me, Kid A is where Radiohead really started to get interesting. Don't get me wrong, love a lot of songs off OK Computer, but when it comes to the albums i play most, it's the post-OKComputer era. And to those who think In Rainbows is some tossed-off mediocre album...are you all tone-deaf? Melodically it's Radiohead's strongest album! You tellin' me you don't like melodies? YOU WANNA FUCKING GO?!?!?!?! (takes breath) It's cool dawgs. Opinions are the shit. (and some really are)

My vote would go to Radiohead. But do these kinds of polls even matter anymore? Especially coming from Rolling Stone. How long has it been since they've been the Last Word On What's Cool? So, doesn't really matter to me. Give to The Killers, give it to Kings Of Leon, basically give it to any of the bands i hate. Will it even make a difference? Probably not. I think U2 losing would be more of a compliment.

But in all sincerity, I think Radiohead is the best and most original band this decade.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #62
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:12 PM
U2 as the best artist of the 2000s? Really?

Just ... no.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:34 PM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:12 PM
Maybe if we were in the 80s U2 would be the artist of the decade. Maybe proof that the 80s have come back!

20 year nostalgia trend , didn't happen this time.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:12 AM
Woah, yeah. That's kind of a shitty poll. But I'd have to go with Radiohead, personally. Kid A is a landmark record for better or worse, and likely to still be in hot discussion 20-40 years from now. And as indifferent as I am towards In Lameblows, that too is in undeniable landmark in terms of distribution from a major artist.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:32 PM   #65
Refugee

I felt emiemn was the best at what he did, and when he released a album it felt like a big event.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:39 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
I think that bottom-line, the biggest consideration should be "which artist has most defined their genre or era with their music and cultural impact." That's a little too wordy, but I don't know how else to phrase that, I think you get the gist anyway. Does "Beautiful Day" define the decade, or "No Line," or "City of Blinding Lights?" I'd say the closest thing they have is "Walk On," but even then, the most resonant song at their Super Bowl performance was "Streets," so what does that tell you?

And yes, they have released some amazing tracks this decade, I'm sure you could make one killer album out of it, but stretch it out over three and you've got 3 good ones with moments of brilliance. Not that I don't think at they're in the running, I just wouldn't put them as The singular artist of the decade.

As far as rock music is concerned...Coldplay might have been one of the more relevant bands of the 00s, but I see them as the most popular distillation of an existing sound that cropped up with Death Cab and KOL elsewhere, so I don't think they've quite earned the title.

U2 is sort of the opposite: while U2's sound definitely influenced the 00s, their material *during* that stretch didn't do a lot of influencing. The bands that made it big were already humming down the path they'd end up on by the time ATYLCB rolled around, (although maybe the album gets some credit as a template for synthesizing 80s U2 with a poppier structure) and the sort of garagier production of HDTAAB was part of an existing trend.

I might have to settle on Jack White as the compromise candidate of both '00 output and influence on others. ...But now that I think about it, this criteria sort of punishes influential records from late in the decade, and it'd be hard to think that OK Computer didn't have some effect on the next 10 years. So, Radiohead maybe, and on account of their continued quality of output since then?
Old 11-14-2009, 11:06 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbecauseofu2 View Post
i meant coldplay dominated the '00s. not u2.
did they though? was there success or hype ever bigger than U2's in 2001 or even 04/05?
Old 11-14-2009, 11:12 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal View Post
did they though? was there success or hype ever bigger than U2's in 2001 or even 04/05?
even 360. the album may not have sold as well as bomb or whatever, but in my opinion NLOTH is a better album, got pretty good critic reviews for the most part and 360 sold out every show so far in 2009.

i dont think Coldplay's success has surpassed U2's.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by popacrobat View Post
even 360. the album may not have sold as well as bomb or whatever, but in my opinion NLOTH is a better album, got pretty good critic reviews for the most part and 360 sold out every show so far in 2009.

i dont think Coldplay's success has surpassed U2's.
yeah, i mean, i'll be the first to admit that i don't follow the mainstream very much, but i don't think any band or musician has "dominated" this decade like Nirvana did the 90's or U2 in the 80's.

when it comes to Coldplay, i'm probably in the minority that thinks that Parachutes is their best album.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:26 AM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Taylor, obviously.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:05 AM   #71
New Yorker

Quote:
when it comes to Coldplay, i'm probably in the minority that thinks that Parachutes is their best album.
agree
Old 11-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:12 AM
U2 really don't deserve to win this, yes I like their 00s output a lot, at present both NLOTH and ATYCLB make my top 25 of the decade, Bomb is nowhere near. But are they really the best of the decade in any way?

Best quality overall? Radiohead have two albums in my top 10, and Arcade Fire have two in my top 5 so nope U2 don't win that
Most popular? Eh Coldplay stole that from and also have released three quite good albums, none better than NLOTH or ATYCLB but three better than the Bomb
Best songwriters? Amanda Palmer takes this with ease

U2 deserve to be on the shortlist but that's it
Old 11-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #73
Blue Crack Supplier

No one on that RS list comes close to deserving it as much as Radiohead. Kanye, yeah, maybe the last half of the decade, but he wasn't really important before 2004. Arcade Fire has TWO albums, and we haven't heard from them in almost 3 years. I'm a relatively big defender of 00's Shuttlecock (Atomic Serve was my favorite album of that year), but to imply that they're the most important band of the last 10 years? No fucking way, folks.

Radiohead, whether you like them or not, put out FOUR albums that were all distinct and for the most part well-received. One of them is going to top a lot of Best of the Decade lists. They have the critical acclaim, the Grammy nominations, and the album sales.

But it's not just the albums themselves. The band has toured to rave reviews, any bootleg can attest to the power of those shows, and with the release of In Rainbows they opened up a new discussion about the value of music and put their trust (as well as power) in the hands of their fanbase. I don't think this last point can be undervalued when we're talking about an artist defining the decade.

They're a band that people are constantly looking to, anticipating and wondering what they're going to do next. They may have captured the zeitgeist with OK Computer, but they've had it staying in residence ever since; however abstract their lyrics may be, they sound completely modern, OF THE TIME, and excel at capturing a mood that many people feel, even if its subconscious, beneath the surface.

My runner-up would be Super Furry Animals, who have been just as adventurous with their music, even more prolific (5 albums this decade plus side projects!), but maybe aren't as "important" in terms of relevance.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #74
Ghost of Love

The most important artist artist of this decade is Kanye West, hands down.

Without West there IS no Blueprint, which was 2001, not 2004.

Also, Thru The Wire was early '03 on most people's mixtapes.

Not to mention all the artists other than Jay who used his sound like: Talib Kweli, Common, Mobb Deep, Jermaine Dupri, The Game, Alicia Keys, Janet Jackson, John Legend etc etc etc and it still goes on as I type.

Sorry U2.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
yeah, i mean, i'll be the first to admit that i don't follow the mainstream very much, but i don't think any band or musician has "dominated" this decade like Nirvana did the 90's or U2 in the 80's.

I think you're right. There was no dominant force of this decade like the last 2. It will be really interesting to see the results of this poll.