Unpopular musical opinions II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fonzie_jumps_the_shark%5B4%5D3.png

i really can't separate no line on the horizon and the alternate version. i love them both. no line on the horizon is perfect on the album (and works just great stand-alone), and the alternate is a great stand-alone track.

i really can't separate no line on the horizon and the alternate version. i love them both. no line on the horizon is perfect on the album (and works just great stand-alone), and the alternate is a great stand-alone track.
yeah, i know what you mean. i couldn't imagine nloth2 opening the album or anything, but it is my preferred version of the two.

Agreed on that, but I still think NLOTH2 would be an awesome closer. Cedars is just so... slow.. it doesn't reallyend, it just stops. Now put those two songs next to each other, Cedars goes out softly and NLOTH2 rises up. WHAM out with a bang! It has a great ending too. Had U2 put NLOTH2 as ending track NLOTH would possibly be my favourite U2 album ever.

"Cedars" is such a fitting closer and "No Line" isn't epic enough to work as an up-tempo closer either.

Something like "A Sort of Homecoming" could act as both an opening and closing track, due to a combination of subject matter and sound; I don't think "No Line" in either incarnation would work or do the album justice.

i do agree that cedars is a great closer. the ending's kind of abrupt, but i like it.

and i agree on asoh too. the lyrics, particularly the very end, work as basically beginning the journey or arriving at your destination.

i do agree that cedars is a great closer. the ending's kind of abrupt, but i like it.

and i agree on asoh too. the lyrics, particularly the very end, work as basically beginning the journey or arriving at your destination.

It reminds of "Please," only without the emotional release. Sometimes restraint can be more effective and "Cedars" is a great example of that.

Well put.

So apparently you prefer your basslines to be either non-existent or completely buried in the mix.

Good to know.

Try taking the fucking blinders off.

Perhaps I think the bass line of NLOTH2 is garbage and better left unheard?

Try not being an closeminded prick, ass.

(This is what I call a rational, mature discussion :happy: )

Perhaps I think the bass line of NLOTH2 is garbage and better left unheard?

Try not being an closeminded prick, ass.

(This is what I call a rational, mature discussion :happy: )

Sorry I was so abrasive last night, we can chalk that up to the asspocket of whiskey I polished off earlier at the bar.

Obviously I disagree that the alt. version has no redeemable qualities, and I'm just surprised you don't at least like Claycourt's menacing bass (which would have fit even better in the more monstrous album version).

LM needs to quit with all that bitch moan bitch moan.

Yeah, watch it dude, you don't want to get Zoot'ed.

Mess with THE CLICK!, you get the flick.

Yeah, it's an alternate take of the track, found as a B-side to the Boots single. I think iTunes had it lumped in with the digital preorder of the album as well. Or something like that.

I don't like Daydream Nation. Or more than a few Sonic Youth songs and maybe one or two records, really. Always felt bad about that, but it doesn't seem like I'm going to come around, any time soon. Been trying for a while, by now.

Sorry I was so abrasive last night, we can chalk that up to the asspocket of whiskey I polished off earlier at the bar.

Obviously I disagree that the alt. version has no redeemable qualities, and I'm just surprised you don't at least like Claycourt's menacing bass (which would have fit even better in the more monstrous album version).

No problem. I have a hard time hating NLOTH2, it's breezy and brings back good memories of NLOTH's release, just doesn't feel nearly as full and complete as the album version to me, which is appropriate enough.

Just, for the record, does anyone know which was recorded first? I know it's called NLOTH2, but it feels, erm, embryonic.

NLOTH was first. NLOTH2 was their one-off attempt to make it more punk, but they never went farther than the one take they did. They then went back to NLOTH. My understanding is that both tracks were done in one take.

I think they originally had NLOTH but when they got to Olympic studios in London the band recorded NLOTH2 that apparently they wanted but Eno didn't.

I'll amend my generic "album version is better" to say that I do really appreciate the looseness in NLOTH2, and love the NO! NET! bits at the end.

But I still prefer the album version overall. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom