Unpopular musical opinions II - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:47 PM
Not necessarily. Their second album is pretty damn good, and the debut was solid. But if you think their latest, one of the most MOR, offensively bland mega-albums in recently memory, is some kind of second coming of Christ, I can't help you.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:21 PM   #107
45:33

Local Time: 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrARoundabout View Post
Well, according to this board I have horrible taste in music if I like Kings of Loen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
Not necessarily. Their second album is pretty damn good, and the debut was solid. But if you think their latest, one of the most MOR, offensively bland mega-albums in recently memory, is some kind of second coming of Christ, I can't help you.
What about if I say I like Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavoured Water?

Old 11-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #108
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Then I'd tell you the Lance's Mom thread is in the main portion of Lemonade Stand.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #109
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:47 PM
Quote:
Nah, I'm a big fan of the first 2...like the latest albums, but no...I don't think OBTD or BOTT are the "second coming of Christ".
Old 11-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #110
War Child

Local Time: 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Yes. You're a SAP. Of course you like Macca better.
Ouch? Necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Couldn't one make the argument that people think the Stones are "cooler", and that to prefer them is the same thing as why you think people prefer Lennon? Because they have more attitude?

Personal preferences aside, the notion that the Stones made a greater contribution to music is a joke. Great musicians, live performers, songwriters, no doubt, but ultimately the best "rock and roll" band and nothing more. As artists they didn't come close to hitting the peaks that The Beatles did.
This could be true. Not for me personally, I just like the Stones' songs better. They're grittier, and I just like that more.

You do bring up an interesting point though. When people ask that question "are you a Beatles man or a Stones man?" it's almost like saying "are you a bookworm or a manly man?", which is a shame because it shouldn't be that way at all.

But this is all personal opinion. It may be unpopular (hence the title of the thread), but I wouldn't call it a joke. I don't think it's a joke to say that the Stones wrote better songs, because I think they did.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #111
45:33

Local Time: 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The John Tree View Post
"are you a bookworm or a manly man?"
John Entwistle was a nine and a half stone weakling until Charles Atlas made a man of him and nine and three quarter stone!
Old 11-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #112
War Child

Quote:
Nah, I'm a big fan of the first 2...like the latest albums, but no...I don't think OBTD or BOTT are the "second coming of Christ".
I actually like OBTN and BOTT more than YaYM and Aha. I like that big, grandiose style more than the spunky garage rock.

I think you can make one classic record out of all of their songs. The first half of Only By The Night is ace, but it trails off considerably in the second half of the album.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:40 PM   #113
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

^Very true, although "Cold Desert" is incredible
Old 11-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #114
War Child

Yeah, Cold Desert was good. So is Frontier City, actually, but I don't own the song because I'm still an old school bastard who buys CDs from the store, not albums from iTunes, so I don't get the bonus tracks. Damn you, apple.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:48 PM   #115
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

"Closer" is the only song on that album that doesn't make me want to shove a butter knife into my ears.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Yeah, Cold Desert was good. So is Frontier City, actually, but I don't own the song because I'm still an old school bastard who buys CDs from the store, not albums from iTunes, so I don't get the bonus tracks. Damn you, apple.
HAHA

I'm in the same position

Quote:
"Closer" is the only song on that album that doesn't make me want to shove a butter knife into my ears.

But do you like their older material?
Old 11-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
But do you like their older material?
Quote:
Their second album is pretty damn good, and the debut was solid.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:57 PM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

^Shit sry LOL
Old 11-01-2009, 11:27 PM   #119
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I don't care what anyone says. The three best Beatles songs were Let It Be, Yesterday, and The Long and Winding Road, and all 3 are McCartney, all the way.

And I'll take Mick and the boys over the Beatles any day.
If you're going to list Paul ballads, at least put "Hey Jude" up there.

"Strawberry Fields" is my favorite Beatles track, too. I'll put down McCartney because of his trend of making music for old people (see: "Honey Pie," "When I'm Sixty-Four"), but I still have tremendous respect for him as a singer/songwriter. Lennon's tracks with the Beatles rarely come off as saccharine, but I think we all can agree that they weren't as good separately as they were together.

What are your favorite Stones songs/albums?

Quote:
Ouch? Necessary?

This could be true. Not for me personally, I just like the Stones' songs better. They're grittier, and I just like that more.

You do bring up an interesting point though. When people ask that question "are you a Beatles man or a Stones man?" it's almost like saying "are you a bookworm or a manly man?", which is a shame because it shouldn't be that way at all.

But this is all personal opinion. It may be unpopular (hence the title of the thread), but I wouldn't call it a joke. I don't think it's a joke to say that the Stones wrote better songs, because I think they did.
Because every Beatles fan is waiting at the library outside of the bar that all of the Stones fans frequent.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:37 PM   #120
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:47 PM
The thread is called "Unpopular musical opinions", people! Not "Unpopular musical opinions that we can attack and make fun of".

Tags
unpopular