Unpopular Music Opinions III: Friggin Cobbler Vs. The World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still have a soft spot for Magnificent. That riff is killer, and also sounds really great on a piano. The frustrating thing about the track is that it could have been an all-timer had they taken a slightly different approach with the lyrics and Edge's solo.

I don't know about that - the version they did on the Elevation tour had some really heavy guitar and when Bono runs the laps around the stage - really cool.

The version they did on Bomb tour wasn't that great, IMHO.
Eh, Elevation is cool, but I prefer the guitar tone Edge gets with the Strat live. It's more sharp and less buzzy than the studio version and just sounds perfect for the song. And yeah, the key change sucks.

I think 360 is the best because Edge went back to the Strat, Larry came up with a drum beat that kind of combines the original one and the one he used on Vertigo (AKA Lady with the Spinning Head's drum beat), and Bono's guitar playing is actually audible at times during the opening, choruses, and solo (I love him playing along with the bass after "It's no secret at all").

I don't think Magnificock sucks, especially if it's going to be sharing that term with Cock Crazy and Stand-Up Referee. But I do think the response around here was hyperbolic. The verses are rather ineffective, though it's hard for me to deny the soaring power of the chrorus.

I'd probably rank about 6 or 7 songs on the album above it.
Well, I'm not saying it sucks in lieu of saying those songs suck, I'm just saying I think it sucks. The main guitar riff is nice, the bass is good, other than that, everything sucks. The lyrics do nothing, the verses are boring, and the solo is a complete waste.

The worst part of this thread is when people come in and make flat clearly shit-stirring posts.

How the shit do the Beach Boys suck? What the hell is wrong with you? Do you need someone to look inside your head? etc

edit: It occurred to me that this post probably makes me look like a jerk, but I don't get it. Yet I can understand why someone might think Floyd and the Who suck, so whatever. I don't, just so we're on the same page.

I don't like the beach boys, save a few songs..but that's neither here nor there.

Edit: didn't see your edit.

Alright, Pink Floyd. I've tried to listen to many of their records: Piper, The Wall, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Meddle.... none of them did anything. I tried these 5 albums because I gather that all are pretty different from one another, AND their best liked ones.. thought I might like at least one of them. Maybe if I'd been around when they were released they had made an impression. Now, I don't like any of the vocalists' vocals, none of the concepts and I'm not impressed by the sounds. In particular Piper was a let-down, seeing as several of my musical heroes (Bowie, Blur) have listed it as a huge influence.

With The Beach Boys, again, I can see how their stuff may have been impressive first time around, but one of their main selling points, the experimentation in-studio, doesn't really matter when the songs are boring (with the exception of God Only Knows, which is wonderful...) ... doesn't help maybe, my dad over-exposing me to Sail On Sailor when I was little. Or Paul McCartney and Brian Wilson routinely going into "you were such an influence" - "no, YOU were an influence" any time either Pet Sounds or Revolver/Rubber Soul/Sgt Pepper is brought up. I admit that my dislike may be very childish here.

As for The Who... I like some of the earlier simple songs (though I'm more a Kinks-person myself), but from The Who Sell Out everything just sounds too much like a huge effort. Also, I don't think Daltrey can sing (which is easier to disguise when the songs are 2-3 minutes bursts of energy, less so when he's a rock opera "singer"), and I detest how Keith Moon, whose behaviour was appalling, has become some rock 'n' roll hero.

My apologies if the earlier post was a bit blunt. Replying while at work after semi-reading half a thread is never the best idea... :doh:

I can understand not caring for Floyd's approach to songcraft or feeling that they do not live up to their legacy, but one at least has to acknowledge the musical proficiency and lyrical complexity involved in almost all of the Waters-era albums.

I can at least see what he's talking about with the first two, but his explanation for The Who doesn't make any sense to me. Too much effort? What?

cobl04 said:
Coldplay >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Arcade Fire.

Top that, suckers

I (naturally) concur.

I'd easily take X&Y over Funeral. Try so desperately as I might, I was never able to enjoy Funeral.

I intend to give NeoN BiBle a crack sometime, one day.

I will say Ready To Start from the third album is such a splendid song.

I'd easily take X&Y over Funeral.

88.gif

Back
Top Bottom