U2, Michael Jackson and Madonna: the undisputed Rock Gods of our time? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
HeartlandGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 6,829
Local Time: 08:24 PM
If you have to ask if everyone agrees, then I don't think you can use the word "undisputed."
__________________

__________________
HeartlandGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 37,996
Local Time: 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools View Post
Michael Jackson is the king of pop, rock, and soul. He's a mixture of everything.

Madonna just makes strictly pop music, and her music is kind of boring (plus, she can't really sing.)

U2 is the only artist there that's strictly rock, because...well, they're a rock band.

I agree that Prince is more rock than Michael Jackson.
Having Eddie Van Halen or Slash play on one of your songs does not make you rock. Also, Jackson's whitebread delivery is about as far from "soul" as I've ever seen in a black singer, aside from the guy in Hootie & the Blowfish. It's arguable that he hasn't had any since Off the Wall, maybe Thriller, if you can find any within the completely over-the-top production.

Claiming that Madonna's music is boring is a bit nonsensical, especially as she's continued to work with vital producers, which makes her music sound a lot more relevant than the watered-down pap that Jackson's been putting out for the last 15 years or so. If you don't like it, you don't like it, but "boring"? And how she's any less "rock" than MJ is beyond me; he doesn't have any more real instruments on his albums. Madonna's vocal ability is certainly not her strongest attribute, but as someone who just saw her last autumn in concert, where she belted out an AMAZING rendition of You Must Love Me, I can personally tell you that sister's got more pipes than most people are giving her credit for.
__________________

__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #18
War Child
 
ShipOfFools's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 814
Local Time: 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Having Eddie Van Halen or Slash play on one of your songs does not make you rock. Also, Jackson's whitebread delivery is about as far from "soul" as I've ever seen in a black singer, aside from the guy in Hootie & the Blowfish. It's arguable that he hasn't had any since Off the Wall, maybe Thriller, if you can find any within the completely over-the-top production.

Claiming that Madonna's music is boring is a bit nonsensical, especially as she's continued to work with vital producers, which makes her music sound a lot more relevant than the watered-down pap that Jackson's been putting out for the last 15 years or so. If you don't like it, you don't like it, but "boring"? And how she's any less "rock" than MJ is beyond me; he doesn't have any more real instruments on his albums. Madonna's vocal ability is certainly not her strongest attribute, but as someone who just saw her last autumn in concert, where she belted out an AMAZING rendition of You Must Love Me, I can personally tell you that sister's got more pipes than most people are giving her credit for.
You've got to be kidding me. Listen to anything from Off The Wall, or The Lady In My Life. Those songs have soul. And a few songs from the following albums do, too.

What do you call Smooth Criminal and Dirty Diana, then? Or 2Bad from the HIStory album? Or Privacy from the Invincible album? I call them rock songs, because they are rock songs.

Whether Madonna is a weak singer is up in the air. All I know is that I particularly don't care for her music.
__________________
ShipOfFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 37,996
Local Time: 07:24 PM
If you had read my post, I singled out Off the Wall as having soul. Since then? Not too much. Pointing out a couple examples just shows how sporadic it is.

As for the rock, Madonna has just as many "guitar" songs as MJ does. Also, when was the last time you saw this at one of his concerts:

YouTube - Madonna - BORDERLINE - Izod Center, NJ - 10/4/08

YouTube - Madonna - Candy Perfume Girl - DWT Paris

I think it's funny you would call him more rock when she's the one who actually knows how to play guitar (she started her musical career in a rock band), and has done so on her last few tours.

Also, if you can find a clip of Britney singing at this level, by all means share:

YouTube - Madonna Sticky and Sweet Tour Berlin You Must Love Me Live

Clearly you have huge bias here, I would never claim Madonna is a great singer but you're reducing her entire output to T&A, which is rather obtuse.
__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,711
Local Time: 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools View Post
Michael Jackson is the king of pop, rock, and soul. He's a mixture of everything.
How long has it been since he had an album out? Since he had a string of hit singles? Since he had ANY singles?

There's no way anyone can say he should still wear any sort of popular music crown in 2009 with a straight face.

And you know what? I would gladly take a bet that says this "record breaking" string of shows supposedly coming up in London never even happens. He'll have some sort of mysterious illness pop up, maybe he'll claim some terrorist threat against his poor kids, who knows - I fully expect some excuse to come out of his melting face and the concerts won't happen.
__________________
corianderstem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #21
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 09:24 PM
They'll open the Ark of the Covenant during the show, it'll be huge.
__________________
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:14 PM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,711
Local Time: 07:24 PM
Well, his face is already half-melted off, so that should finish the job.
__________________
corianderstem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:54 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
sue4u2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
Posts: 6,628
Local Time: 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartlandGirl View Post
If you have to ask if everyone agrees, then I don't think you can use the word "undisputed."
and, I'm not quite sure what is meant by "our time". It wouldn't encompass "my time" because I'm quite sure I may be considerably older and therefore have seen and heard many Rock Gods".
U2 is the only one I still actively follow. Neither Prince, Madonna or MJ even hold a candle to either U2 or many of the 70's, 80's & 90's music I love.
But that's just me.
__________________
sue4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:02 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartlandGirl View Post
If you have to ask if everyone agrees, then I don't think you can use the word "undisputed."
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:02 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 37,996
Local Time: 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Well, his face is already half-melted off, so that should finish the job.
__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:36 AM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 05:24 AM
To the thread starter: 1987 called. They want their pop music back.
__________________
Zoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:41 AM   #27
Refugee
 
MadForIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 2,232
Local Time: 04:24 PM
Well Oasis wipe the floor with everything past and present
NOEL is GOD
__________________
MadForIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #28
War Child
 
ShipOfFools's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 814
Local Time: 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
How long has it been since he had an album out? Since he had a string of hit singles? Since he had ANY singles?

There's no way anyone can say he should still wear any sort of popular music crown in 2009 with a straight face.

And you know what? I would gladly take a bet that says this "record breaking" string of shows supposedly coming up in London never even happens. He'll have some sort of mysterious illness pop up, maybe he'll claim some terrorist threat against his poor kids, who knows - I fully expect some excuse to come out of his melting face and the concerts won't happen.
2001. That's 8 years. Kate Bush took 12 years in between albums, and her last album, "Aerial," was considered one of the greatest albums of her career. He's working on a new album, which should be out in 2009 or 2010.

As far as the shows go, everyone is saying that he'll perform. He's been in rehearsals for six weeks already, and everything is being designed. If he backs out, he'll not only recieve backlash from the fans, but he'll lose a ton of money and be sued right and left from people who are backing this tour. I doubt he's going to back out, there's too much to lose.

Honestly, I don't care what anyone says. Michael Jackson makes great music, and for that I reserve space on my ipod for him. Madonna...meh, I can take her or leave her.
__________________
ShipOfFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #29
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,711
Local Time: 07:24 PM
Hey, I'm not saying I don't like some of his music - I enjoy the hell out of his hits.

I just think it's a big stretch to consider him relevant in 2009.
__________________
corianderstem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #30
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 09:24 PM
And using Kate Bush as a beacon for relevance is quite a stretch.
__________________

__________________
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com