U2, Michael Jackson and Madonna: the undisputed Rock Gods of our time? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 08:24 PM
If you have to ask if everyone agrees, then I don't think you can use the word "undisputed."

Old 05-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools View Post
Michael Jackson is the king of pop, rock, and soul. He's a mixture of everything.

Madonna just makes strictly pop music, and her music is kind of boring (plus, she can't really sing.)

U2 is the only artist there that's strictly rock, because...well, they're a rock band.

I agree that Prince is more rock than Michael Jackson.
Having Eddie Van Halen or Slash play on one of your songs does not make you rock. Also, Jackson's whitebread delivery is about as far from "soul" as I've ever seen in a black singer, aside from the guy in Hootie & the Blowfish. It's arguable that he hasn't had any since Off the Wall, maybe Thriller, if you can find any within the completely over-the-top production.

Claiming that Madonna's music is boring is a bit nonsensical, especially as she's continued to work with vital producers, which makes her music sound a lot more relevant than the watered-down pap that Jackson's been putting out for the last 15 years or so. If you don't like it, you don't like it, but "boring"? And how she's any less "rock" than MJ is beyond me; he doesn't have any more real instruments on his albums. Madonna's vocal ability is certainly not her strongest attribute, but as someone who just saw her last autumn in concert, where she belted out an AMAZING rendition of You Must Love Me, I can personally tell you that sister's got more pipes than most people are giving her credit for.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Having Eddie Van Halen or Slash play on one of your songs does not make you rock. Also, Jackson's whitebread delivery is about as far from "soul" as I've ever seen in a black singer, aside from the guy in Hootie & the Blowfish. It's arguable that he hasn't had any since Off the Wall, maybe Thriller, if you can find any within the completely over-the-top production.

Claiming that Madonna's music is boring is a bit nonsensical, especially as she's continued to work with vital producers, which makes her music sound a lot more relevant than the watered-down pap that Jackson's been putting out for the last 15 years or so. If you don't like it, you don't like it, but "boring"? And how she's any less "rock" than MJ is beyond me; he doesn't have any more real instruments on his albums. Madonna's vocal ability is certainly not her strongest attribute, but as someone who just saw her last autumn in concert, where she belted out an AMAZING rendition of You Must Love Me, I can personally tell you that sister's got more pipes than most people are giving her credit for.
You've got to be kidding me. Listen to anything from Off The Wall, or The Lady In My Life. Those songs have soul. And a few songs from the following albums do, too.

What do you call Smooth Criminal and Dirty Diana, then? Or 2Bad from the HIStory album? Or Privacy from the Invincible album? I call them rock songs, because they are rock songs.

Whether Madonna is a weak singer is up in the air. All I know is that I particularly don't care for her music.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

If you had read my post, I singled out Off the Wall as having soul. Since then? Not too much. Pointing out a couple examples just shows how sporadic it is.

As for the rock, Madonna has just as many "guitar" songs as MJ does. Also, when was the last time you saw this at one of his concerts:

YouTube - Madonna - BORDERLINE - Izod Center, NJ - 10/4/08

YouTube - Madonna - Candy Perfume Girl - DWT Paris

I think it's funny you would call him more rock when she's the one who actually knows how to play guitar (she started her musical career in a rock band), and has done so on her last few tours.

Also, if you can find a clip of Britney singing at this level, by all means share:

YouTube - Madonna Sticky and Sweet Tour Berlin You Must Love Me Live

Clearly you have huge bias here, I would never claim Madonna is a great singer but you're reducing her entire output to T&A, which is rather obtuse.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools View Post
Michael Jackson is the king of pop, rock, and soul. He's a mixture of everything.
How long has it been since he had an album out? Since he had a string of hit singles? Since he had ANY singles?

There's no way anyone can say he should still wear any sort of popular music crown in 2009 with a straight face.

And you know what? I would gladly take a bet that says this "record breaking" string of shows supposedly coming up in London never even happens. He'll have some sort of mysterious illness pop up, maybe he'll claim some terrorist threat against his poor kids, who knows - I fully expect some excuse to come out of his melting face and the concerts won't happen.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #21
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:24 PM
They'll open the Ark of the Covenant during the show, it'll be huge.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:14 PM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

Well, his face is already half-melted off, so that should finish the job.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:54 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartlandGirl View Post
If you have to ask if everyone agrees, then I don't think you can use the word "undisputed."
and, I'm not quite sure what is meant by "our time". It wouldn't encompass "my time" because I'm quite sure I may be considerably older and therefore have seen and heard many Rock Gods".
U2 is the only one I still actively follow. Neither Prince, Madonna or MJ even hold a candle to either U2 or many of the 70's, 80's & 90's music I love.
But that's just me.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:02 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartlandGirl View Post
Old 05-15-2009, 11:02 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Well, his face is already half-melted off, so that should finish the job.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:36 AM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:24 AM
To the thread starter: 1987 called. They want their pop music back.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:41 AM   #27
Refugee

Local Time: 04:24 PM
Well Oasis wipe the floor with everything past and present
NOEL is GOD
Old 05-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #28
War Child

Local Time: 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
How long has it been since he had an album out? Since he had a string of hit singles? Since he had ANY singles?

There's no way anyone can say he should still wear any sort of popular music crown in 2009 with a straight face.

And you know what? I would gladly take a bet that says this "record breaking" string of shows supposedly coming up in London never even happens. He'll have some sort of mysterious illness pop up, maybe he'll claim some terrorist threat against his poor kids, who knows - I fully expect some excuse to come out of his melting face and the concerts won't happen.
2001. That's 8 years. Kate Bush took 12 years in between albums, and her last album, "Aerial," was considered one of the greatest albums of her career. He's working on a new album, which should be out in 2009 or 2010.

As far as the shows go, everyone is saying that he'll perform. He's been in rehearsals for six weeks already, and everything is being designed. If he backs out, he'll not only recieve backlash from the fans, but he'll lose a ton of money and be sued right and left from people who are backing this tour. I doubt he's going to back out, there's too much to lose.

Honestly, I don't care what anyone says. Michael Jackson makes great music, and for that I reserve space on my ipod for him. Madonna...meh, I can take her or leave her.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #29
Blue Crack Distributor

Hey, I'm not saying I don't like some of his music - I enjoy the hell out of his hits.

I just think it's a big stretch to consider him relevant in 2009.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #30
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:24 PM
And using Kate Bush as a beacon for relevance is quite a stretch.